Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2503261 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #19625 on: 02 May, 2017, 07:18:07 pm »
It's probably more exhausting but in a different way.

TimO: How are the paving stones?  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19626 on: 02 May, 2017, 07:56:35 pm »
I used the Brompton, the red pimped titanium one, after removing the mudguards last night and fitting the cable fender disc and free-standing hook (these are the two parts you need to convert an L-type into a C-type).  As well as looking a lot cooler, it's quieter and a bit lighter.  Keeps up with anything else.

I might have to open up the hub to swap out the axle key and convert it to an AW indicator.  It's the only AM I have with the proper two-piece indicator (where gear adjustment is checked on the left of the hub) and I never quite trust it as it's unscrewed itself on long rides.  Can't use threadlock in case any escapes into the mechanism, and the very fine threads that join the two halves together can't be done up too tight, either.  No-one seems to know why SA bothered with this type of indicator when an AW one is much simpler and more reliable; it was suggested to me that the normal one couldn't take the spring tension but the spring is exactly the same as an AW spring.  I routinely convert them now,
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #19627 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:34:19 am »
Ref the LH end of the handlebar, perhaps you were holding it as you hit the deck and your brute strength bent it ? ...

That was the only thing I could think of, but I didn't think I was that strong, or aluminium was that weak!

Ouch. I hope you don't feel too stiff in the morning TimO ...

I was worried about that too, and intended to make sure I had a glass of water and pain killers next to the bed, having found myself having difficulty getting out of bed, in the past!

Whilst I'm a little stiff, and was uncomfortable overnight, it's not really very significant, and the cycle to work will probably loosen things up.  The commute home certainly did yesterday.

It's a shame that the weather looks so dull outside, today.  it was far nicer yesterday.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #19628 on: 03 May, 2017, 12:21:40 pm »
Glad you're ok Tim.

A couple of cyclists caught me at the lights at Stretford, one "said there's hardly any wind today, quite still" and I muttered, then we turned north east and they both sat on my wheel as I fought the wind.  ::-)

« Reply #19629 on: 03 May, 2017, 12:31:55 pm »
Different bike, different route.  Its as good as a rest  :thumbsup:
This.

Over here: Clicky
For A View

Then Silly Sustrans Gates

The Bridge held up by traffic

Wildlife

But I forgot all the kit, and needed my colleague to help with the last mile  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19630 on: 03 May, 2017, 01:22:26 pm »
Wow! If I had a commute like that I might even be happy to do your job. Happy, not able. Whatever your job is.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #19631 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:25:24 am »
Massive tailwind wasted in traffic last night.

A crap nights sleep coupled with a tough wind meant I was less than amused at this upon arrival

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #19632 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:43:24 am »
Wore gloves this morning.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #19633 on: 04 May, 2017, 02:27:35 pm »
Made it home last night under an hour, well 59 minutes 40 seconds.

When I started this commute in November 2015 It was taking an hour and a half, I've been reliably down to 70 minutes home for a while so i'ts good to finally crack the hour mark. I just need to sort the inward journey which has a lot more climbing.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #19634 on: 04 May, 2017, 05:45:19 pm »
Last evening on the way home from work, a first.
My usual commute is closed for a couple of weeks due to roadworks. Negotiating the right turn across a reasonably busy road (for round here) another cyclist caught me up. We chatted briefly, then ended up in single file. About half way back to our village (for it turned out he lives just down the road), he overtook, saying that he'd been drafting me for too long and was about time he did some work. He then pulled me the rest of the way to his house!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19635 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:10:58 pm »
I dunno what's going on with the wildlife hereabouts. Some days nought, other days (today) it's like the disembarkation from Noah's ark.

Horrid headwind for the first 10 miles homebound.  Meh!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #19636 on: 09 May, 2017, 07:50:08 am »
It was the driver of an David Brown Aston Martin who slowed his vehicle, holding up the great queueue of cars behind him, and waved me acrorst the roundabout this morning :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

TJG

« Reply #19637 on: 09 May, 2017, 01:45:50 pm »
Had the closest pass for a long time from a lorry who started ok but seemed to forget about his trailer. A couple of inches closer and I would have bailed onto the verge. 

The next lorry sat very patiently behind as I trundled up the hill so I pulled onto a driveway to let him pass.  Thought I had a trackstand nailed and would be able to just ride on until he honked in thanks and I nearly jumped off the bike. 

Oddly the first just felt normal and the latter took about 10 mins for my heart rate to recover from!

« Reply #19638 on: 10 May, 2017, 01:27:27 pm »
First commute for a wee while without that chilly easterly headwind.  I prefer a tailwind to work, a headwind home.  Well, I prefer no wind but you know what I mean

« Reply #19639 on: 10 May, 2017, 03:35:17 pm »
I'm the opposite since I find I find I'm slow in the mornings irrespective of the wind but really enjoy a tailwind home, today looks like it's going be one of those headwind both ways days, albeit a very gentle breeze.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19640 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:07:06 pm »
I'm the opposite since I find I find I'm slow in the mornings irrespective of the wind but really enjoy a tailwind home, ...
One concurs.  However one should bear in mind the first three rules of cycling; which are:

1 - It's always a headwind.
2 - It's always a headwind.
3 - It's never a tailwind.

Now them's _proper_ cycling rules, not like that guff the the voluminous-arty spout.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

fuzzy

« Reply #19641 on: 10 May, 2017, 10:27:05 pm »
Lost the front wheel on a turn in the woods. Bikes OK :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19642 on: 10 May, 2017, 10:41:51 pm »
A slog getting home today. Hopefully just lack of sleep catching me out and not the slight gearing increase on the fixed (16t instead of 17t).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #19643 on: 11 May, 2017, 07:42:58 am »
Where is everybody? On my 2.5 mile bimble this morning I was overtaken by one car, saw two cars going the other way, and only saw two dog-walkers.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #19644 on: 11 May, 2017, 10:04:18 am »
Very busy on the last part of my commute today (Vauxhall to Mayfair). The wide ASL box at Parliament Square was completely full which I haven't seen before.
People getting out for Global Bike to Work Day or just a coincidence?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #19645 on: 11 May, 2017, 02:34:37 pm »
As it's Global Bike to Work Day, I made the effort and cycle commuted (took the longer off-road route, an epic 1.4 miles). ;D

« Reply #19646 on: 11 May, 2017, 03:58:08 pm »
Busy along the embankment today and yesterday. Looking rather narrow now. I'll see if it a new norm now the winds has stop being so fucking cold!

« Reply #19647 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:33:17 am »
Cruised in yesterday - seemed like very little traffic up to about 7. Blasted home - much more traffic in parts, but very little between Abingdon and Oxford, which was weird.

« Reply #19648 on: 12 May, 2017, 12:31:35 pm »
Really struggled today, enough that a fellow regular commented on my lack of pace. Can't decide if it's because of:

1) Eating breakfast, first weekday brekkie for decades - doc says I've got to stop the fasted commute thing
2) Nagging headwind
3) First 5 day week for a while
4) Friday legs
5) All of the above.

Ah well, I'll just pootle home.

« Reply #19649 on: 12 May, 2017, 12:44:36 pm »
Why did your doc advise against fasted commuting ?

That's what I did for years.
Rust never sleeps