Linked Events

• Mille Cymru: 27 June, 2014 - 30 June, 2014

Author Topic: Mille Cymru 2 (Return of the Granny Ring) 27th - 30th June 2014  (Read 39753 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Mille Cymru 2 (Return of the Granny Ring) 27th - 30th June 2014
« Reply #50 on: 13 November, 2013, 07:52:29 pm »
I'm very tempted by this ride, but it's the week after the Sussex 24 hour.
I wonder how this ride compares to the Cambrian 10A perm, which I found very tough, though it wasn't long after a ride around Crackpot 1000.

Would Mr Un Dulates find it usefull for someone to ride the route during the Christmas Holiday?
No promises. I'm off to the Algarve for Crimbo  :smug: and I might end up doing other stuff when I get back home. But it's an idea if I'm at a loose end.
Of course I haven't ridden the 10A, but having glanced at the route it looks far worse than the MC1K was*!

Given that the calendar event is bootifully supported, I reckon you'll be OK (given your previous back-to-back ride succeses).

But deep down, I think you'd prefer riding it at Christmas ...

*remember:
even mattc managed to finish.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #51 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:12:10 pm »
Its hard work, but its not impossibly hard.  I never felt like I wasn't going to finish, but I was weary by day 3. The  scenery kept me going, as well as the support.

The support. It was worth more than i realised at the time.

« Reply #52 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:36:19 pm »
Sweet baby jesus. I'm going to have to work like a dog to lose weight and improve my climbing to stand a prayer of getting round this. Toothgrinder will knock it out over winter if he's bored.  :facepalm:

You can go off people you know... ::-)

I wouldn't have to ride it in under 75 hours. Besides, I often do a big ride at Christmas. Some of my best mileage months have been Decembers.
It's not me who decided that everyone should have a week off work in the middle of winter, but I like to make the most of what I have. The Australians have got the right idea. They have Christmas in the summer.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #53 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:47:15 pm »
I'm sorely tempted....
Having been to Wales 3 times this year [BCM, 5 day cycletour and hillwalking week] and only getting rained on twice [on tour], this freakishness can't continue, surely......

I've had similar luck,  ridden the Lon Las Cymru (Welsh End to End) twice and the BCM once and never needed my waterproofs on those rides.
It doesn't rain all the time in Wales.....but it can!
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #54 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:50:54 pm »
I wonder how this ride compares to the Cambrian 10A perm, which I found very tough, though it wasn't long after a ride around Crackpot 1000.
Yup I'd agree that the C10A is a very tough, especially solo. The MC is a more straightforward ride in comparison so let's call it tough. It's more like an extended Bryan Chapman scenic in my opinion without the seriously hard C10A sections eg Lake Vyrnwy to Newtown - remember that?. The good MC organisation and riding with others will help too. Should be another great ride to choose from next year.       

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #55 on: 13 November, 2013, 09:35:25 pm »
Sweet baby jesus. I'm going to have to work like a dog to lose weight and improve my climbing to stand a prayer of getting round this. Toothgrinder will knock it out over winter if he's bored.  :facepalm:

You can go off people you know... ::-)

I wouldn't have to ride it in under 75 hours. Besides, I often do a big ride at Christmas. Some of my best mileage months have been Decembers.
It's been done before (so feel free to continue the tradition). Ask iddu http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27713.0

I'd expect (even without the effects of riding a solo perm vs supported calendar event) it's not as tough. As a calendar event I figure there's little point in making so stupid hard that the potential audience is limited - it has to be financially viable. But 15000m+ is not going to be a cakewalk.

« Reply #56 on: 13 November, 2013, 10:20:52 pm »
Yup I'd agree that the C10A is a very tough, especially solo. The MC is a more straightforward ride in comparison so let's call it tough. It's more like an extended Bryan Chapman scenic in my opinion without the seriously hard C10A sections eg Lake Vyrnwy to Newtown - remember that?. The good MC organisation and riding with others will help too. Should be another great ride to choose from next year.     

I remember Vyrnwy to Newtown. And the bit after Fishguard. I did make the 10A harder than I could have done.
Sounds like this ride is do-able in Winter, though it won't be an easy ride!
Not sure I can do it though. Depends on if I have any holiday left at work, which I doubt. :(

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #57 on: 14 November, 2013, 08:30:10 pm »
Ooh, just got permission from THE BOSS for this one  ;D   :jurek: 8)

Another ride to shit myself over then - definitely one I'm unsure about whether I'm capable or not - only 30 minutes inside the time limit on my one 600 so far...  still I will hopefully have done another (the BCM) by then...

But if I can do this then PBP the year after won't seem such a step up I suppose.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #58 on: 14 November, 2013, 08:34:52 pm »
Quote from: Caerau link=topic=77727.msg1594973#msg1594973
But if I can do this then PBP the year after won't seem such a step up I suppose.

If you can do this then PBP will be a piece of cake by comparison.

caerau

« Reply #59 on: 14 November, 2013, 08:44:16 pm »
I'll bet.  Probably the toughest ride I've done so far was actually a 300k - the cambrian series 3A  - also a ride that goes through Llanwrtyd wells.  One of the big attractions to me is to see the scenery around there again :thumbsup:
That and the challenge of pushing the boundaries once again.

« Reply #60 on: 14 November, 2013, 09:12:36 pm »
Good call Caerau! I reckon you might need more than a 10 box to last you round this one  :-X :D

caerau

« Reply #61 on: 14 November, 2013, 09:20:56 pm »
Well as you know, that's the plan  ;D

(assuming you mean what I think you mean)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #62 on: 14 November, 2013, 10:57:24 pm »
Anyone considering riding this & the Míle Fáilte  ???
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #63 on: 14 November, 2013, 11:03:14 pm »
Quote from: Caerau link=topic=77727.msg1594973#msg1594973

If you can do this then PBP will be a piece of cake by comparison.

that is good to know :) for futire planning ---we`ll see
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #64 on: 15 November, 2013, 10:42:04 am »
Unfortunately I have to pass on this one this time but can recommend it as a cracking ride, taking in some interesting and varied parts of Wales. The 'back to base' after every day works well too and the event was really well supported last time by the helpers back at base.

It is lumpy but then again, taking place in Wales, is the 15000m of climbing unexpected? I don't think so and there is plenty of time for you to get used to lumpy events between now and then.

H

« Reply #65 on: 15 November, 2013, 06:06:38 pm »
Ah sorry Hummers is missing this.  Will Postie be riding and going 1st class.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #66 on: 15 November, 2013, 07:40:45 pm »
Is it just me who keeps misreading Mille Cymru as Miley Cyrus?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #67 on: 16 November, 2013, 07:55:26 pm »
Wow, this looks fantastic, I shall have to try to get time off

hillbilly

« Reply #68 on: 17 November, 2013, 08:46:08 am »
Is it just me who keeps misreading Mille Cymru as Miley Cyrus?

Were you excited at the thought of entering?

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #69 on: 26 February, 2014, 08:56:45 pm »
Update with a couple of days to go until entries open...

Over the winter I’ve been busy reworking the route from that used in 2010, and this is now more or less complete. The start is still at Upton Magna, but the start time is now a civilised 11:30am. From Upton Magna a 260km first day heads through the Welsh Marches to Hay-on-Wye, over the Gospel Pass and on to Monmouth and the Wye Valley. The Usk valley and Mynydd Eppynt takes you to your first overnight control at Llanwrtyd Wells.

Day 2 seeks spiritual salvation at St David’s on the furthest tip of wild and woolly West Wales via the peaceful valleys of the rivers Teifi and Tywi; and the rugged crumpled coastline of Pembrokeshire before returning to Llanwrtyd once more.

Having warmed you up, Day 3 takes in the (literal) highlights of the Cambrian Mountains including the Devil’s Staircase, Elan Valley and the Dylife mountain roads. A coastal run through Barmouth and Harlech takes you up to Snowdonia and over Pen y Pass to a final overnight control in Betws y Coed.

But you’re not finished yet…there’s the final leg back across Snowdonia, past Llyn Celyn and Bala to the last major climb of the Bwlch y Groes and Lake Vyrnwy. Then finally the return to The Shire.

Audax UK’s Altitude Award (AAA) man has cast his eye over the route and based on analysis of the GPS tracks, worked out an official climbing figure of 16,000m and 16AAA points for the event. Plenty of undulations, does of course mean plenty of scenery to enjoy  :)

The route has been planned with overnight manned controls at Llanwrtyd Wells (265km & 575km) and Betws y Coed (868km) where there will be basic sleeping facilities (airbeds & blankets) available. Both these controls have shower facilities and there will be a bag drop to Llanwrtyd Wells.

The entry fee is £75 and will include a pre-ride brunch on the morning of Friday 27th June, food at overnight controls (plus potentially some other controls), basic sleeping facilities and a bag drop to Llanwrtyd Wells. There’ll also be a commemorative event jersey available to purchase and free finishers medal. Entries will open at midnight on 1st March and are limited to 100 places. You can enter either online or via post through the Audax UK website – see http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-1000/.

More info, including route maps and GPS files is on the event website www.millecymru.com

"One ride to rule them all, one ride to find them. One ride to bring them all, and in the green hills bind them. In the land of Cymru, where the dragons lie."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #70 on: 27 February, 2014, 12:14:12 pm »
good to have Bwlch y Groes at the end when the riders are fully warmed up

I don't think I will be able to find the time for this edition of the Mille  :'(  I love Wales

« Reply #71 on: 27 February, 2014, 02:05:27 pm »
Entries will open at midnight on 1st March

I probably shouldn't be asking this, but is the midnight at the start or the end of 1 March?

Better bring forward the weight loss plans. I'm still carrying more than my bike too much.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #72 on: 27 February, 2014, 02:15:56 pm »
AIUI, the start.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #73 on: 27 February, 2014, 02:20:30 pm »

I probably shouldn't be asking this, but is the midnight at the start or the end of 1 March?

am sure he will revise that with 00.01 or 23.59 so that there is no doubt

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #74 on: 27 February, 2014, 07:58:47 pm »

Better bring forward the weight loss plans. I'm still carrying more than my bike too much.
00:01 as I understand it.