Author Topic: Pre registration process  (Read 19047 times)

rob

Re: Pre registration process
« Reply #150 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:52:58 am »
Someone was saying on Saturday's ride that there had been so many preregistrations that there were very few places left for UK riders who qualify this year. That can't be true, surely?

Loads of available slots when I pre-registered last night.   Front groups said they were full but I got in the 18:45 start OK.

« Reply #151 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:54:03 am »
Someone was saying on Saturday's ride that there had been so many preregistrations that there were very few places left for UK riders who qualify this year. That can't be true, surely?

Loads of available slots when I pre-registered last night.   Front groups said they were full but I got in the 18:45 start OK.

Yep. When 400km pre-reg opened Sunday night there were spaces open for every start slot, hundreds in total.
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

simonp

« Reply #152 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:54:57 am »
It's very easy - what's your rider number. That's how many places were taken when you preregistered.

rob

« Reply #153 on: 11 May, 2015, 11:07:08 am »

Yep. When 400km pre-reg opened Sunday night there were spaces open for every start slot, hundreds in total.

So if I'd have got my finger out rather than napping on the sofa I could have had an earlier start ?   Serves me right I suppose.

« Reply #154 on: 11 May, 2015, 11:10:38 am »
So if I'd have got my finger out rather than napping on the sofa I could have had an earlier start ?   Serves me right I suppose.

Yep!

;D

Having said that, I chose a later start intentionally even with all those slots open. I nearly went all the way out to 8pm, but couldn't get the image out of my head of puncturing in the first 10 mins and ending up dead last on the road, with everyone disappearing off ahead of me as I sat fixing it

« Reply #155 on: 11 May, 2015, 11:51:40 am »

I take it that person was on the PBP organising committee?  No!  Then must be talking tosh; there's a lot of it about (sadly).

Bairn Again

« Reply #156 on: 11 May, 2015, 12:24:25 pm »
Well ive goofed a bit.  I had assumed (incorrectly) that 400 on a York Arrow would suffice for pre-registration, given that it had an ACP number against it in my results.  Found out yesterday that was wrong and I didnt do any other BRM events last year.  Calendar events yes but not so much as a single BRM 200.  I will therefore have to take my chances come 31st May onwards. 

Given that Ive arranged travel and accomodation my plan B will be to do some other cycling in France at the same time.  One possibility is to finally nail my Brevet 25,000 by doing a 1300km event, maybe down towards Bordeaux and back.   

Of course now having thought about it Im actually more excited about the alternative than PBP and spent lots of yesteray evening planning a nice route.   ::-)   

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #157 on: 11 May, 2015, 12:48:33 pm »

I take it that person was on the PBP organising committee?  No!  Then must be talking tosh; there's a lot of it about (sadly).

Agreed. And I said as much but it's always good to seek the collective wisdom of the forum. Not a problem for me as I have my place but it was worrying to hear someone talking about skipping the planned 600 because ther was no point.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

simonp

« Reply #158 on: 11 May, 2015, 01:17:47 pm »
If someone recently registered would tell us their file number (or approx if they're shy about revealing it) then that would give more of a clue. They're sequentially numbered.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #159 on: 11 May, 2015, 01:30:04 pm »
If someone recently registered would tell us their file number (or approx if they're shy about revealing it) then that would give more of a clue. They're sequentially numbered.

I reckon I would have been at the tail end of people pre-qualifying with a 600 or longer ride (late Friday night) - so lets say there were about 2500 riders in this category. 

That would leave 4000 spaces plus any dropouts (those who don't get their qualifiers in or decide not to go ahead, or have a problem with their 'papework' - which I'd guess at being 20 - 30% of the 2500)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #160 on: 11 May, 2015, 01:42:35 pm »
From the PBP website:

"We might be led to restrict the number of registrations in order to ensure the safety and quality of this event. There will be only a global quota and nomore quotas per country."

In 2011 and had no pre-qualifying rides and still managed to register and secure a place.  They have increased numbers for this edition so I think worries about registering are a little premature.

« Reply #161 on: 11 May, 2015, 06:16:51 pm »
...couldn't get the image out of my head of puncturing in the first 10 mins and ending up dead last on the road, with everyone disappearing off ahead of me as I sat fixing it

Curiously I punctured about 10 mins before the start in 2011. Damn lucky, I'd say.

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #162 on: 11 May, 2015, 06:32:16 pm »

Many hundreds of slots still available.

It has been noted, that even at day one the number of places listed didn't come even close to 6500 (something like 4250) - what this means, I don't know.  Do the French riders have a priority entry or something accounting for a couple of thousand of additional places or something?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #163 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:04:55 pm »

;D

Thought you'd like that one :)

« Reply #164 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:25:55 pm »

I registered early on Sunday morning when I got home from the Severn Across, so about 1am.  I must have been one of the first people who only did a 400 last year.  My number was 2630, so no panic yet.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #165 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:27:17 pm »
Having said that, I chose a later start intentionally even with all those slots open. I nearly went all the way out to 8pm, but couldn't get the image out of my head of puncturing in the first 10 mins and ending up dead last on the road, with everyone disappearing off ahead of me as I sat fixing it
Plenty of us have chosen the very back of the Q under the old system. (partly cos you don't' actually have to DO any queueing! ) It works fine (well,2-from-2 anyway), much less stressful, even with the ENORMOUS risk of a last-second puncture :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #166 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:43:05 pm »
I registered early on Sunday morning when I got home from the Severn Across, so about 1am.  I must have been one of the first people who only did a 400 last year.  My number was 2630, so no panic yet.

Nah - you were 50 behind me ....  :P  .... jumped online at 00:03 such was my enthusiasm and (needless as it turned out) pessimism

« Reply #167 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:45:06 pm »
Plenty of us have chosen the very back of the Q under the old system. (partly cos you don't' actually have to DO any queueing! ) It works fine (well,2-from-2 anyway), much less stressful, even with the ENORMOUS risk of a last-second puncture :P

Maybe I'll get brave and slide it out to 8pm then if they let us jiggle with the times when we do full reg ... if not, I'll just dawdle ... which I'll do of course anyway

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #168 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:55:37 pm »
Another late as possible starter in the 90h group. Really enjoyed it last time - get to enjoy the chaos and queues and stuff to the max on night one, then begin to overhaul everyone and get into clear air into the second day. It was perfect.

That was based on a 76 hour finish last time. Be a bit slower this year due to whole fixed thing and general lack of fitness. But I still think that 8pm will serve me well again.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #169 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:15:01 pm »
Saw a registration number this morning (across pond)  #3066 if that helps.

rob

« Reply #170 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:34:08 pm »
I was 2913 last night so it's not going up that quickly.

I have met a few people doing their first audaxes this year with a plan of riding so I think there may be an acceleration of entries when it fully opens to anyone.

rob

« Reply #171 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:35:21 pm »
That was based on a 76 hour finish last time. Be a bit slower this year due to whole fixed thing and general lack of fitness. But I still think that 8pm will serve me well again.

Bet you're faster on fixed.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #172 on: 11 May, 2015, 09:08:47 pm »

Bet you're faster on fixed.

Optimistic! At least now mrs. JB is coming out to cheer us all home, I actually have a hotel should I finish on the wrong day again.

But, I am extra slow this year - I will batter myself over the coming couple of months and see where I get to speed wise.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #173 on: 11 May, 2015, 09:09:55 pm »
Well - I've pre-registered and now I have buyers remorse........

For those who want to know these things:

I got a time of 18:00 for some reason (only one place was left) and all the times have gone up to about 19:30+. Not sure why one lonely 18:00 spot was still there - maybe someone withdrew already??

90 hours for me (bien sûr) - and my number was 3128

I look forward to meeting all those in the later start groups as they go past me   :)

« Reply #174 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:19:24 pm »
but it was worrying to hear someone talking about skipping the planned 600 because there was no point.
It's strange, because I understand this in a way.  But in another way...if there is no point in doing a 600 for it's own sake, then what is the point of doing any ride, including PBP?