Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2466533 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4475 on: 26 May, 2011, 11:45:22 pm »
I have a year old CdF with Shimano BR-R505 Disc* brakes and they are absolutely fine.

Try thrashing down a hill and braking hard a couple of times to bed them in.  I don't recall whether mine needed this sort of treatment but I have had hydraulic discs on mountain bikes that definitely benefitted from this.

*brake model cut and pasted from Genesis website and in my head I was typing (ctrl-)V brakes which sounded wrong !

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4476 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:00:38 am »
Take the pads out and soak them in a commercial brake cleaner, rub them on some 80 grit alox paper to roughen the friction surface then ride flat out down the Trough of Bowland.

OK. I'm kidding on the last bit, your brake discs were probably not cleaned correctly when the bike was assembled and they're now glazed along with the pads.

Nice bike BTW
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4477 on: 27 May, 2011, 07:02:52 am »

Six weeks in now and delighted with the comfort.  Unfortunately it doesn't brake worth a damn......

Nice.  What's the rack?  And tell us more about the brakes, please.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4478 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:34:27 am »
Nice.  What's the rack? 

I bet you say that to all the girls.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4479 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:37:05 am »
That looks like a top dogging machine.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4480 on: 27 May, 2011, 12:28:32 pm »
Yeah, the stains won't show up so badly on a white frame. That Brooks saddle will end up looking like a decorator's radio though.

« Reply #4481 on: 27 May, 2011, 02:46:41 pm »

Six weeks in now and delighted with the comfort.  Unfortunately it doesn't brake worth a damn......

Nice.  What's the rack?  And tell us more about the brakes, please.

The rack is just a Topeak cheapy but only for light commuting so just the job.  

About the brakes......

Well I should say that these are the first discs I've had, my other bikes have V's, Cantis and Dual Pivot.  Maybe my expectations were just too great, but these really aren't up to much.  The stopping is accompanied by the most awful noise which actually sounds like metal-on-metal and yes, you do stop but my word it takes a while.  Some folk tell me they take a bit of bedding in, but this bike does 26 miles a day, 5 days a week so surely after 6 weeks they would be well comfortable in their bed!  Dopn't get me wrong, I like the bike, but the brakes are stopping me (Ha. Ha.) from loving it.

« Reply #4482 on: 27 May, 2011, 03:14:58 pm »
basic bedding in should have been achieved on day one, I'd seek assistance
Nuns, no sense of humour

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4483 on: 27 May, 2011, 03:53:25 pm »
basic bedding in should have been achieved on day one, I'd seek assistance

I agree, I have a friend with the same bike who has had no problems at all with his brakes.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4484 on: 27 May, 2011, 04:36:11 pm »
Nice.  What's the rack?  

Thanks.  As suspected.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #4485 on: 27 May, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »

About the brakes......

Well I should say that these are the first discs I've had, my other bikes have V's, Cantis and Dual Pivot.  Maybe my expectations were just too great, but these really aren't up to much.  The stopping is accompanied by the most awful noise which actually sounds like metal-on-metal and yes, you do stop but my word it takes a while.  Some folk tell me they take a bit of bedding in, but this bike does 26 miles a day, 5 days a week so surely after 6 weeks they would be well comfortable in their bed!  Dopn't get me wrong, I like the bike, but the brakes are stopping me (Ha. Ha.) from loving it.

cf Genesis Croix de Fer
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #4486 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:30:20 pm »
About the brakes......

Sumfing is rong. Either with the style of discs or the pad/disc combination if they are not stopping you, I'd tend to think that it is oil contamination, which will kill a set of pads. I have hydraulic Juicys and mech BB7 and it takes about 2 days commuting (~ 100 miles) to bed in to max stopping power.

Get some sintered pads from bikefridge on eBay, and a can of disc cleaner. Change the pads, clean the rotor, enjoy your bike. (they are adjusted ok, right? Surprisingly the mech BB7 depend on bending the disk slightly)

« Reply #4487 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:42:49 pm »
Kept the front mech it came with as Campag seem to have abandoned triples. Chainset is a Stronglight Impact which I chose for lower gearing.
If Biggsy is right ( Sabbath September - Which Spec? ), you can fit a smaller ring to that chainset, so you might have wasted a bit of money. Still, I expect there's someone out there who'd like a Campag triple.

BTW, Campag still sell a triple, but only one: no differentiation between the different gruppi.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groupsetdetail/item_derCOMpTRIPLE_catid_8.jsp
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4488 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:54:12 am »
Specialized Roubaix, now with improved gigantic tyres (28mm Ultremo ZX)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4489 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:56:59 am »
Specialized Roubaix, now with improved gigantic tyres (28mm Ultremo ZX)

how do you find them?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4490 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »
I know you had a crud failure on the IM, are you now intending riding mudguardless or is this just temporary?

« Reply #4491 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:08:12 pm »
Which Brooks saddle is that? I've seen a couple this shape now, is that how they look when new or just after uber mileage?

« Reply #4492 on: 31 May, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »
Which Brooks saddle is that? I've seen a couple this shape now, is that how they look when new or just after uber mileage?

It's a well used B17 with a hole cut into the middle according to this.  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

« Reply #4493 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:31:15 pm »
That's right - though Brooks do make them like that again, called the Imperials.

« Reply #4494 on: 03 June, 2011, 03:16:17 pm »
N +1

Should get a little ride on it tomorrow, although I'm officially under docs orders to be mostly off the bike for another week , so it will just be a little test and set up ride.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4495 on: 03 June, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »
Tantalising.
Getting there...

« Reply #4496 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:47:04 pm »
Has she seen it yet........... :demon:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4497 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »
Has she seen it yet........... :demon:
Yes ;D  She was at home and looking out of the window when the courier turned up.

When she had a look at the bike her first comment was " whys it got a fat downtube?"   Shes a star :thumbsup:

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #4498 on: 08 June, 2011, 11:45:05 pm »

In Majorca

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4499 on: 09 June, 2011, 09:17:55 am »

In Majorca

VERY red.  Of course EVERYONE knows that red bikes are faster, it's the law, innit?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State