Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2471293 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2750 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:59:19 pm »
It's still a work in progress, but should be completed this week or next - just need to swap components from current bike (Chorus 2008 goupset) and set up. First big TT event for me is in 3 weeks time! Hoping this machine will help me improve on last years time, if it doesn't, something somewhere has gone seriously wrong! ;)

What does your profile look like in a TT position? The bars look quite high for a low pro (or maybe you have very short upper arms).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2751 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:44:31 am »
I don't know what my position will look like until I've set it all up, the stem is pretty much as low down the steerer as it will go - something like only a 5mm spacer between it and the headset. The frame isn't TT spec. so it's a bit of a compromise. It's a small road-racing frame. It will have to do for now. The clip on tri bars will need to be cut down - I'm not going for the superman position! It's a 404 on the front, I'm pretty lightweight and thought it would be easier to handle. The 1080 rear wouldn't be allowed in a bunch race.

David Martin

« Reply #2752 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:45:31 pm »
This tyre was on my winter bike. With black casing and lots of road dirt I hadn't noticed how tired it was getting. Time for a change, methinks!

And close-up

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2753 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:03:43 pm »
This tyre was on my winter bike. With black casing and lots of road dirt I hadn't noticed how tired it was getting. Time for a change, methinks!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4422582393_14facf310a.jpg[/img]
Would you say you've had your money's worth though? 

David Martin

« Reply #2754 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:16:05 pm »
I should think so. Must have done 3k miles which is good for one of those.. It's the price you pay for having tyres that are fast and very very grippy. Maybe they should have a name that relfects just how grippy they are?

« Reply #2755 on: 13 March, 2010, 06:02:52 pm »
As it was sunny, I took the time trial bike out for a ride. I fitted different bars and stem  recently, and wanted to try the new position,

It's a 'Bitsa' - Ribble frame & fork, Ultegra drive-train, Ksyrium (rebuilt by me) rear wheel, an amazingly good A Class front wheel.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Chris N

« Reply #2756 on: 13 March, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »
How do the brakes work on that, WJ?

« Reply #2757 on: 13 March, 2010, 08:34:19 pm »
Telepathy.  ;)

Chris S

« Reply #2758 on: 13 March, 2010, 08:58:47 pm »
Those sticky-out bars make it look like an insect. Is it fast (when propelled by you)?

« Reply #2759 on: 13 March, 2010, 09:05:19 pm »
Nice idea there, John.

I see you've been on the ol' lathe again.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #2760 on: 13 March, 2010, 09:21:54 pm »
It looks quicker going downhill:  ;)

The brakes are actually in the ends of the bars - a commercial product, rather than my own design. Bend the end of the bar in any direction to apply the brakes. Only works with the cable routed inside the bars.

« Reply #2761 on: 13 March, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
I saw a new take on brake levers just a few days ago.
They had used an open cable suspended between two supports either side of the grip.
(think tightrope) I can't now find the link to the picture.  ::-)
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2762 on: 13 March, 2010, 10:05:16 pm »

Ah, that's what Richard Keys is doing these days.

Chris N

« Reply #2763 on: 13 March, 2010, 10:36:55 pm »
They had used an open cable suspended between two supports either side of the grip.

I saw that too - from NAHBS.  Was on flickr somewhere.

« Reply #2764 on: 13 March, 2010, 10:39:01 pm »

I saw that too - from NAHBS.  Was on flickr somewhere.

That's the one.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....

Chris N

« Reply #2766 on: 13 March, 2010, 11:04:28 pm »
Yep, that's it.  Quite neat.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2768 on: 14 March, 2010, 12:32:42 am »

Your Fu is extraordinary.  :thumbsup:

Ah, the cable is sleeved between the supports. A bit cheese wiry, else.

Nah - someone had posted something from bikesnob on here somewhere, and I'd skim read a couple of posts, including one about this design (described as "should be a hot seller among those who hate both bar tape and gloves--or among those who prefer squeezing small sections of wire instead of comfortable brake levers in order to slow their bikes") and remembered it :)  My memory for random_stuff is better than my googlage!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2769 on: 14 March, 2010, 07:22:28 am »
I quite often stop by pulling the rear brake cable at the top tube, usually if I'm riding with no hands.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2770 on: 14 March, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »
cleverdick.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2771 on: 14 March, 2010, 06:23:05 pm »
from Steve Sloan, SJSU Tech on a mission: June 2009

Many of the people who ride bicycles on the sidewalks at SJSU do so in ways that risk serious injury to themselves and others. Cyclists riding with no hands are unable to take evasive action if a pedestrian, cart or disabled person steps into their path. Usually cyclists who ride like this way are not wearing helmets.

This bike position is especially prone to falling. These cyclists, as well as endangering others, risk head injuries that could kill them or leave them permanently disabled.

/grammar nazi

Ever had a cart step into your path?  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2772 on: 14 March, 2010, 08:13:40 pm »
Ahh the Flatulence ride of 2009! How I remember it well. I must be either out the front or more like strung out way behind fixing a shipped chain...
Of note is Velo Yello's Llewelynn ( NAHBS 2010 best paint) Just for interest of the previous posters brake comments..  Video also now posted on the Fixed Gear Gallery for the "cable" brakes..

« Reply #2773 on: 14 March, 2010, 08:36:12 pm »
my n+1 moment inspired by entirely blamed on Frenchie in this thread

it's not new, has a couple of cosmetic scratches in the top coat and a few chips in the paint round where the cable goes into the frame, but it rides absolutely beautifully and will hopefully help me hang on to the fast bunch on a sunday morning!

« Reply #2774 on: 14 March, 2010, 09:18:08 pm »
Blimey, Roger...  what lumen output is your head?   8)