Author Topic: A Pair of Kirtons  (Read 40553 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: A Pair of Kirtons
« Reply #150 on: 04 June, 2015, 10:57:57 am »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Balmy http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/adebbc94-e371-41d1-9b54-56a621725784

Cross-wind gale on the Humber bridge - that'll be fun !

Just like the Severn Bridge then - I don't think I've ever done that in benign calm weather in 3 years of audaxing - and fully 80% of the south Wales rides must cross that at some point.

I'm rather looking forward to crossing a different bridge for a change  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #151 on: 04 June, 2015, 11:10:19 am »
Use the east side of the bridge. The railings on the Humber Bridge are lower than you might expect.

« Reply #152 on: 04 June, 2015, 11:29:09 am »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Balmy http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/adebbc94-e371-41d1-9b54-56a621725784

Cross-wind gale on the Humber bridge - that'll be fun !

Just like the Severn Bridge then - I don't think I've ever done that in benign calm weather in 3 years of audaxing - and fully 80% of the south Wales rides must cross that at some point.

I'm rather looking forward to crossing a different bridge for a change  ;D

... and just like normal conditions on the Forth Road Bridge!

Can I also just say many thanks to Delph Cyclist for accommodating me and the other three riders from Scotland at very short notice.  Our event was forecast to enjoy 50 mph head-gales and torrential rain, hence the cancellation and last-minute scrabbling for places here... looking forward to dry and warm-ish conditions, and winds that would pass for light up our way.

« Reply #153 on: 04 June, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »
The dedication that is required of an AUK Organiser.  I spent yesterday evening in the pub so you don't have to, waiting for Danial to bring a supply of airbeds from WCW, and I'm happy to say that I've counted them and we've got 65, with about 100 blankets.  Goodness knows if we've room for all those in Poynton Methodist Church Hall and Corby Glen Village Hall, but we're all close friends, hey?  (I think we've also got valves for them all too which is a bonus!).

I've just come back from shopping for Saturday breakfast (toast, butter and jam, and if you want porridge, then bring your own pot of instant for which we'll have boiling water).

This is going to be one heck of a luxurious shoe-string event.

« Reply #154 on: 04 June, 2015, 03:44:45 pm »
I had a look at pictures of Corby Glen online and it looks like it has a decent amount of space in it so I reckon we can get a fair number of beds up. As there's a large field attached to the community centre, I'm going to bring a tent so that us controllers can sneak off for a kip between shifts.

« Reply #155 on: 04 June, 2015, 05:21:05 pm »
Is there a Twitter hash tag for this ride? If not then I'll be using #Kirtonb600

The dedication that is required of an AUK Organiser.  I spent yesterday evening in the pub so you don't have to...

Thanks! I was rather looking forward to a pint or two prior to the event.

Then again, checking the B&B booking I made I appear to be staying *miles* away. That was a bit of a F-up -sigh-

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #156 on: 04 June, 2015, 06:19:08 pm »
Is there a Twitter hash tag for this ride?

Not from me there isn't.  I'm afraid that the joys of twitter are as yet a mystery to me.  I wake up to Tweet of the Day, today being the Red-Throated Diver, which wasn't particularly pleasant

« Reply #157 on: 04 June, 2015, 09:38:40 pm »
Entries close at midnight tonight (4th June), so if you know of any disappointed Ballachulish riders, tell them to get a move on

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #158 on: 05 June, 2015, 09:49:26 am »
>40mph winds heading to Hull according to BBC.  Will that cause any issue at the Humber bridge?

Good job we're starting early as it seems we'll avoid those winds across Saddelworth Moor (though, knowing the BBC they'll have got that wrong as well).

This now has the potential to be quite a challenge across the fens.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

caerau

« Reply #159 on: 05 June, 2015, 09:58:58 am »
Dunno about the Humber bridge but the Severn one is nearly always open to cyclists and peds when the road itself is closed.  I've never seen it closed to *everything*
It will be interesting if it is closed though  :facepalm:

caerau

« Reply #160 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:02:15 am »
Looks like a Tailwind until the bridge - predicted to drop at around 4 pm - 10 hours in hmm. Judicious timing should help manage it - if the weather forecast timings are correct of course.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #161 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:15:54 am »
Dunno about the Humber bridge but the Severn one is nearly always open to cyclists and peds when the road itself is closed.  I've never seen it closed to *everything*

I've plotted a detour to Gainsborough just in case but it's a heck of a diversion....fingers crossed because to retrace the route would involve headwinds that closed the bridge.

Whatever.  We'll see.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #162 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:17:25 am »
Humber bridge ... It will be interesting if it is closed though  :facepalm:

I dread to think of that happening!  The detour would certainly add a few km onto the plan.  Don't forget that there are cyclepaths on both sides of the bridge, and if is not unknown for one or other to be shut but (let's hope) not both.  The cyclepath is below road level so that should provide some shelter from a cross wind so it might be better to be on the leeward side (but others may have a more informed view).

I've closed entries at 107.

« Reply #163 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:20:19 am »

I've plotted a detour to Gainsborough just in case but it's a heck of a diversion....fingers crossed because to retrace the route would involve headwinds that closed the bridge.

Whatever.  We'll see.

One advantage of being a slower rider is meeting the fast lads (and lasses of course) coming back the other way saying "follow us".  Which you can't of course, coz they are they are the fast lads (and lasses)

« Reply #164 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:13:06 am »
I'm hoping there will be some groups (of modest speed) to work with on the Sunday.
The wind is forecast to drop somewhat overnight but 180km into 'more than a gentle breeze' will be more bearable with some company.

caerau

« Reply #165 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:30:26 am »
I'm hoping there will be some groups (of modest speed) to work with on the Sunday.
The wind is forecast to drop somewhat overnight but 180km into 'more than a gentle breeze' will be more bearable with some company.

I'm definitely up for sharing the load as a wind break if others are around me at the time  :thumbsup:

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #166 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:11:53 pm »
Should anyone be interested, I will probably be eating on Friday night at 6pm in the Vernon Arms on London Road South, Poynton. 

http://www.sizzlingpubs.co.uk/thevernonarmshotelpoynton/

I've never eaten there before so don't take this as a recommendation, and other options are available in Poynton.  There are also takeways (Chineses, Pizza, Indian) within a short distance of our Church Hall.

I plan to get the key and unlock the Church Hall at 8pm and anyone arriving shortly after that can be expected to be put to work inflating the airbeds (no foot-pumping required!)

I have eaten at the Vernon Arms at least four times and never left hungry.

It's worth a visit and not too expensive.

It's the sort of pub where the old folks go for their meals, and the yobs go to watch kickball, and the kids run round and round on occasion.

Menu is extensive and something for everyone - I tend to start with the 'sharing' ice cream deserts, which are the size of a small washing up bowl, though beware because sometimes they include toffee chunks with the capacity to suck the fillings straight out of your teeth... Yep happened to me once...

See you all tomoz - enjoy the ride  ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #167 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »
Some rider's speed will be very modest indeed...c'est moi. 
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #168 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:19:05 pm »
I'm definitely up for sharing the load as a wind break if others are around me at the time  :thumbsup:

So long as you've mended your shorts  :facepalm:

caerau

« Reply #169 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:20:18 pm »
 :P   I'm rather pleased that episode managed to get missed in the Guardian article.

Those shorts are thoroughly not on the agenda believe me  ;D

« Reply #170 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:27:13 pm »
For good beer try the Cask tavern. It is on the right as you head to Waitrose from the roundabouts I normally go to the sister pubs in Macclesfield and Bollington. I think they have food.
http://www.bollingtonbrewing.co.uk/our-pubs/

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #171 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:28:00 pm »
Common sense V's Knee trouble.
Common sense has won for the first time, maybe I am getting old.  :'(

I'm another DNS.

Have a great ride and Bon Chance to all, especially if you're riding for your qualifier.  :thumbsup:

(Don't forget your sewing kit Caerau  ;D)
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

caerau

« Reply #172 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:29:22 pm »
One day I'm going to live that down.  ::-)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #173 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:49:19 pm »
:P   I'm rather pleased that episode managed to get missed in the Guardian article.

Those shorts are thoroughly not on the agenda believe me  ;D

Someone's gone and mentioned it in the comments though.  :thumbsup:

caerau

« Reply #174 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »
You fiend!