Author Topic: Slaithwaite 600 from Darlo on Saturday 20th May 2023  (Read 4783 times)

Re: Slaithwaite 600 from Darlo on Saturday 20th May 2023
« Reply #25 on: 22 May, 2023, 10:08:13 pm »
Turns out the reigning National 24hr champ was also riding.   Nick Tarmey from VC Venta.

Thanks very much to everyone involved.  Great weekend out.  I’ll write something more detailed when I’m a bit more coherent.

Great to see you again too, Rob, good luck this summer.

Nick was also disgustingly lovely, we had a brief chat and I enjoyed his evocative description of crossing the Humber Bridge at dawn with the low sun casting long shadows over the path and the river.

And we touched on how these rides cover such a wide range and how no one achievement is more worthy of celebration than any other (as one of my helpers said, we're all mad).

However, a special mention for the mythic hero of the ride, whose bike broke in the week, and he went and dug out his dad's eighties Peugeot from the back of the shed and rode it around anyway. A few riders asked me about him, he got around just fine, and I did point out that it would make a great Arrivee article ;D

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2023, 10:28:03 pm »
"Her name escapes up ATM but probably the fastest Brit woman at PBP rode with Mick Potts back in the day. Ridden in the late ‘80s or early ‘90s perhaps?"

Suzie Gray?

Andy Corless

« Reply #27 on: 22 May, 2023, 11:35:31 pm »
However, a special mention for the mythic hero of the ride, whose bike broke in the week, and he went and dug out his dad's eighties Peugeot from the back of the shed and rode it around anyway. A few riders asked me about him, he got around just fine, and I did point out that it would make a great Arrivee article ;D

Ace. Really pleased he got round. Figured he would. Enjoyed chatting and riding with him for a bit.
I think his bike was actually nicked in the week.

« Reply #28 on: 22 May, 2023, 11:54:34 pm »
Yes, it was lovely to see one or two bike-shaped bikes.  Mark had a fabulous Longstaffe (be quiet at the back) and Aidan's trike was elegance itself and a perfect colour, if you can't have racing green for any reason.  Almost all the other bikes seemed to be made of bike-packing equipment.

« Reply #29 on: 23 May, 2023, 10:07:43 am »
That was a cracking ride! Absolutely loved Yad Moss and Shap Fell.

Jacob smashed past me on a climb between Carnforth & Settle like a man possessed, what a legend! Didn't think I'd see him again but he was at the lovely camper. Thanks to to Anita and Andy for sorting that, was lovely to see you again up near Leeming Bar.

« Reply #30 on: 23 May, 2023, 10:09:42 pm »
Well done Mark, hope you've come down a bit now.

« Reply #31 on: 23 May, 2023, 10:31:46 pm »
Yes, it was lovely to see one or two bike-shaped bikes.  Mark had a fabulous Longstaffe (be quiet at the back) and Aidan's trike was elegance itself and a perfect colour, if you can't have racing green for any reason.  Almost all the other bikes seemed to be made of bike-packing equipment.
Peter, Thank you for the compliment, Rolls Royce regal red it is

« Reply #32 on: 23 May, 2023, 11:30:51 pm »
I'll try and remember - it really is superb.  Clashed a little with the pink parking brake toe-strap but it took me a while to notice that anyway!

« Reply #33 on: 24 May, 2023, 11:54:03 am »
Thanks very much to Dean and all the helpers for a great weekend.  The welcome at the overnight control was wonderful, as was the lasagne.  Plus the mobile control in Settle was just perfect.

The route was almost all new roads and scenery for me - the furthest South I'd ridden.  I found riding up Rochdale (?) in the late evening a lot more enjoyable than I expected, though the hill after Milnsrow came as a bit of a shock.

It was also lovely to chat to people at the finish.  I've now got lots of tips for PBP and some faces to recognize.

-Stuart

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #34 on: 28 May, 2023, 07:07:26 pm »
I've had a week to reflect and recover and write up a few thought about the ride and the ones that made it possible. This was my big event of the year so a good excuse for me to write it up!
https://ridewithgps.com/ride_reports/8258-tackling-the-slaithwaite-600

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #35 on: 29 May, 2023, 03:37:47 pm »
I've had a week to reflect and recover and write up a few thought about the ride and the ones that made it possible. This was my big event of the year so a good excuse for me to write it up!
https://ridewithgps.com/ride_reports/8258-tackling-the-slaithwaite-600

What a brilliant write up, and a huge achievement. Well done!
 :)

« Reply #36 on: 29 May, 2023, 05:03:05 pm »
Enjoyed that, well done!  (Just for your records - "Milnbrook" is actually Milnrow.  I live there and can confirm the hills.  Also happy to help at Slaithwaite!)

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #37 on: 29 May, 2023, 07:21:33 pm »
Thanks Peter, have corrected and thanks for your help at Slaithwaite. Really appreciated the team there 👍👍

felstedrider

« Reply #38 on: 29 May, 2023, 08:22:56 pm »
After enjoying Peewhits and Curlews last year the thought of another Northern 600 with less climbing and more TLC was appealing.

I pootled over from the Premier Inn for the civilised 7am start.  There were a few familiar faces at the start but I was away from my usual patch.  We rolled off in a civilised fashion and I infiltrated a VC167 group who I stayed with until the climbing started.  The tailwind made the going easy and we were over Yad Moss in no time.  I rattled along with Ian from Cambridge and we were quickly in Brampton.  Whilst outside the Co-op I noticed my rear tyre was soft.  I couldn’t find the cause but swapped the tube and set off.

The run to Carnforth got a little more choppy.  I stopped in Penrith for extra tubes and the loan of a track pump.  I went past the lay-by of dreams on Shap and was then into technical lanes with JonBuoy to get to the next Co-op control.  I left Carnforth feeling a bit off and found the short and steep climbs quite tough.  I hadn’t realised but I was under fuelled and under watered.  The van control at Settle was a Godsend and I necked 2 pints of squash and feasted on Deano’s cake.

Flat and fast run to Clitheroe.  Draggy section to Milnrow.  I was warned about the climbs round Delph but I underestimated them.  Looking down on Rochdale and Manchester lights was a highlight, though.  There was a black tie dinner going on at the Saddleworth Hotel and the house band were just starting up Toto’s Africa as I went past.  This reminded me of the geographical inaccuracies of the song.  It was a cold descent to the valley but I suddenly thought I was on PBP.

Volunteers waving torches and pointing you into an HQ.  A large bike parking area, a friendly controller and the promise of food and a bed.  I hoovered veggie lasagne and was led to a mattress and blanket.  I passed out and managed to come round at 4:30 with plans to leave at 5.  I filled myself with cereal, toast and coffee and then on through the urban bits of the valley with a bit of walk of shame going on.

I was getting closer to my original home roads as it started to get flatter.  A garage stop in Belton and then round Scunthorpe and up the Humber Bridge.  Roads that I trained and raced on as a junior.  York was passed through quickly but it got a bit draggy up to Leeming Bar.  This was a control on my first ever 400 in 1994 but it’s a bit smarter now.  I resorted to the comfort food of McDs with 3 members of the 167.  The run back home from there was on quiet lanes but my progress was slower than I wanted.  I’ve still not quite got my legs yet this year.

I finished just before 7 to be greeted by the finish team.  I thoroughly enjoyed the next hour or so of eating home cooked food and carrying out what Mrs FR refers to as ‘mantle piecing’.  Telling stories of old audaxes and giving tips on PBP.  I should probably give it a rest.

Thanks to Dean for putting the event together and to Graeme and the overnight team.  The validation was already done by Friday and I completed my PBP entry on Saturday.

*edit* forgot I bumped into Oggy route checking his 600 just after leaving North Ferriby.

Rob

« Reply #39 on: 30 May, 2023, 06:48:08 pm »
Does this one run every year or is it a PBP special?

felstedrider

« Reply #40 on: 30 May, 2023, 07:48:08 pm »
Does this one run every year or is it a PBP special?

First running this year so it depends what Dean decides.

Overall not as hard as Peewhits & Curlews but I struggled in places.  I was fitter (and lighter) last year.

« Reply #41 on: 30 May, 2023, 07:52:08 pm »
Yeah, the climb is quite a bit less.

The older I get, the faster (and slimmer) I was.

I think I need to wait for the Brimstone 1000 yard stare to disappear from my missus before asking her about more 600s just yet.

« Reply #42 on: 30 May, 2023, 10:36:56 pm »
It really depends on what I'll be up to.

If I was organising a 600 I'd probably go back to the Peewits and Curlews, I really love that route and I was daydreaming about it when I was riding through the Lakes the other week. Sadly the road around the back of Thirlmere shows no sign of opening again. Maybe go back to the plan of an overnight control around Greystoke, which I had all lined up before 2020 went all 2020 on us.

Though hey, G is in Slaithwaite for a while yet (the overnight control was the keystone of the whole thing), and it wouldn't be that hard to take the route more into the Lakes and bodge a non-shit hilly route back to Darlo. We'll see.

« Reply #43 on: 30 May, 2023, 10:37:24 pm »
And lovely write ups, R and R :)

« Reply #44 on: 30 May, 2023, 11:01:47 pm »
Thanks very much to Dean and all the helpers for a great weekend.  The welcome at the overnight control was wonderful, as was the lasagne.  Plus the mobile control in Settle was just perfect.

The route was almost all new roads and scenery for me - the furthest South I'd ridden.  I found riding up Rochdale (?) in the late evening a lot more enjoyable than I expected, though the hill after Milnsrow came as a bit of a shock.

It was also lovely to chat to people at the finish.  I've now got lots of tips for PBP and some faces to recognize.

-Stuart

Thanks yourself Stuart, washing up is a guaranteed welcome back!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:00:36 am »
"Her name escapes up ATM but probably the fastest Brit woman at PBP rode with Mick Potts back in the day. Ridden in the late ‘80s or early ‘90s perhaps?"

Suzie Gray?

Andy Corless

Suzie was the fastest AUK lady to finish PBP, though I think she was an Aussie, rather than Brit.

From frankly frankie: Suzie Gray 1995 59h14 (according to AUK's records).  Ian and Suzie Gray were an Australian couple who spent a few years in the UK, during which time Ian won the National 24h and Suzie - well.  She had very long levers and in Oz raced on penny-farthings.  A very likeable lady <SNIP>.
Here is Suzie on Long Mynd (in the far background are two walkers which is more normal).

Other quick AUK ladies include:
Sheila Simpson's first PBP was 70:58.
HK's PBP99 was 69:05 on tandem with Jon Jennings.
Pauline Streets' first PBP was 75:45.
Emma Dixon did 76:32 on mixed tandem.
Bridget Boon did 67:11 on mixed tandem.
Fliss Beard did 70:30 on trike.
Allison Butler did a tandem 69:24 in 1995.
Emma Puchert did 75:24.
Tamala McGee did 72:38.
Sarah Perkins did 74:44.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...