Author Topic: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 5th June 2016  (Read 28864 times)

Re: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 7th June 2015
« Reply #150 on: 07 June, 2015, 09:01:59 pm »
Perfect day!
Good to catch up with all the usual suspects and great to see so many out enjoying (I hope) their first audax. Very impressive turnout by the Kingston Wheelers.

A few photos

The man who holds all the cards:

I'm on a strict diet, but I didn't stand a chance against those brownies:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #151 on: 07 June, 2015, 09:03:48 pm »
A great day out!

More to follow, probably tomorrow.

Thanks to Paul and all his many helpers.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #152 on: 07 June, 2015, 09:26:59 pm »
I rode this one as a perm a couple of years ago. Sadly every year it was held as a calendar event it clashed with something else.

Riding it as a perm was fun but I must admit I'd rather ride it with that huge stack of CAEK to look forward to, rather than riding it in the freezing cold with a friend looking for anywhere that could sell a hot cup of just about anything.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #153 on: 07 June, 2015, 09:33:39 pm »
Nice to see so many familiar faces at all the controls, and superb weather organising by Manotea.
 :thumbsup: to all who made it happen.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

hillbilly

« Reply #154 on: 08 June, 2015, 12:14:32 pm »
I was at the Highbrook control, shouting out instructions to riders who either had "where the hell is this control, am I going to have to climb back up this chuffing hill" faces or "crap crap crap I need to brake hard" faces.

It was interesting seeing the change in demographic profile, style and demeanour from the first rider to the last.  I confirm that they conform to your prejudices :)

Helping out on events is rather jolly, particularly when you can tell the field are having a good time of it.  It also helps that the AUK team was on good form and the local committee in Highbrook did a sterling job.  They even managed to deal pragmatically with Doublebungate.

A model for how to run events of several hundred riders, imho, and well deserving of the success it has.

« Reply #155 on: 08 June, 2015, 01:40:30 pm »
Great ride, great weather, great route, great controls - all in all, a great day out. The only downer was that I was 35 mins slower than last year - no hiding from it, I'm getting older and slower.

It's true that it's a very mixed bunch riding - not as un-Audax-y as The Great Escape (though I enjoy that too) but still a very un-Audax-y feel. However, for anyone who thinks that that is a bad thing, it makes for a great "gateway" into Audax. It was my first ever Audax, and without it I'd probably never have made the transition from "I ride sportifs because as far as I know that's all there is" to an Audax addict.

And I couldn't sign-off without a massive thank you to everyone involved in planning and running both the event itself and the controls. Thank you!
Eddington Number = 132

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #156 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:45:49 pm »
it was a fantastic day yesterday to be out cycling - as good as it can get! mountains of freshly made food/cake at controls (is there anything monire rewarding to a hungry cyclist?) - feeling grateful to all the helpers who gave up their time and made this event run so smooth! rode with couple of riders (Carl up to the first control and Chris thereafter), up and down the gently rolling traffic free countryside - such a joy!
thanks to Manotea for organising and conducting this brilliant day out.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #157 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:47:11 pm »
An interesting ride.  Certainly not yer typical Audax. I  don’t think I’ve ever seen so much shiny carbon fibre, head to toe matching kit, go-faster hats and GPS gizmos at the start of an AUK event.  A noticeably higher than average percentage of women riders, too – also tending to be in the carbon fibre and team kit brigade.  Hardly a saddlebag in sight.

I only just made it to the start in time, having cycled over from SE London and gotten completely lost on the way. Some of the road signs in SW London leave a lot to be desired.

It was a big crowd at the start, and felt like a lot more than the 280 “officially” riding. I encountered one chap near the start who brazenly stated that he hadn’t entered and was just going to follow the others (presumably still availing himself of the catering en route).  I suspect he might not have been the only one.   

Being more like a sportive, a fair number went haring off from the get-go, displaying some interesting attitudes. My award goes to the members of a certain well-known SE London club who thought it would be a good idea to try to undertake a left-turning van at a roundabout. Some pretty shoddy group riding too (Clue: when overtaking another rider, it’s usually best to pass their front wheel before pulling in).  And my favourite was the chap I stopped to help. He had a lovely bike, weighed less than my saddle, but somebody in the bike shop should have shown him how to remove the rear wheel when he bought it.  Still, as Whitedown man says, if  doing this gets someone into Audax then that's a bonus.

If all this sounds churlish, it’s a minor gripe on an otherwise great day out.  Perfect route, and route sheet, and the support at the controls was superb.  I couldn’t believe it when I got to Upper Beeding and realised that someone had opened up their garden to feed and water us.  And, as for the cakes at Chiddingfold…. Well, let’s say I ate many more than I usually would.  There were very few parts of the route on which traffic was a nuisance – the climb of Ditchling Beacon probably being the worst. I encountered a van driver who started overtaking on a blind bend, realised that there was someone coming the other way and so decided simply to swerve to the left.  Cue a large bang on his side panel from me and much angry gesticulating from him.   

Knowing the sportive crew would be hitting the controls in large bunches, I opted to take it easy (OK, I didn’t have much choice on some of the hills) and rolled in at about 7pm, feeling very satisfied.  A pleasant beer in the sun and then home, this time by train some of the way. 

I can see why this ride has become so popular and chapeau to Manotea and his supporters for making it all work so smoothly.

PS - Zigzag... "gently rolling"?  Coombe Lane?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #158 on: 08 June, 2015, 03:00:19 pm »
<...>I  don’t think I’ve ever seen so much shiny carbon fibre, head to toe matching kit, go-faster hats and GPS gizmos at the start of an AUK event.<...>

when i said to a rider how nice and bright his ferrari-red bike looks in the sunshine, he said jokingly "the colour matches my club kit, so i had to get it!" :D

PS - Zigzag... "gently rolling"?  Coombe Lane?

most of it was gently rolling, with 3-4 bigger hills thrown in.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #159 on: 08 June, 2015, 08:43:03 pm »
So sad I missed it but my chums from over at the bike radar commuting section seemed to enjoy themselves. Some of them even finished. Next year hopefully someone won't want to try to kill me with a van less than two weeks before...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #160 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:26:59 pm »
That was a great day out, definitely a “Type 1 fun” audax after a few borderline Type 2 qualifying rides.

Amongst the hundreds of entries we had (I am pretty sure) the only tandem and it seemed to cause a lot more comment from the club riders than from regular audaxers. They seemed quite impressed/surprised that we had managed to cycle that far and get up the hills (we did let on that our secret was low gears, given that our bike probably weighs about four times a typical club rider’s)

Helped a few at the info control at the top of the Beacon by explaining that the bird symbol was AUK and that therefore the “word” they needed to write down was on that notice. Here the second problem became apparent – pens are obviously heavy. Someone then observed that our saddle bag was large enough to contain a pen “and probably a complete geometry set” – not quite, but we could certainly produce a few writing implements to share around, retrieving them carefully thus enabling us to hand them out again a few kilometres later at the top of Devil’s Dyke.

As non-GPS users we found the route sheet pretty easy to follow. Had some fun in Esher navigating by chain restaurants – “No that’s Pizza Express”, “No, Costa Coffee”, “OK Café Rouge, turn left NOW”. I loved the “this way, that way, somewhere else” signpost, never seen that before.

As everyone else has said, fab controls, good food, and plenty of people in our part of the ride chilling out in the sunshine. I’d like to add my thanks to Paul and all the helping crew.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #161 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:37:20 pm »
Lots of fun from the other side of the counter as well.

Set up shop in Richmond park at opening time, and waited a while for the first riders (zigzag on his flat bar commuter and another rider).

With it being a very club event, we did get a bit rushed off our feet as 15 riders turned up at once, and then nothing for a while. But we kept it all under control I think.

Lots of very positive comments, particularly about the cakes.  Lots of virgins it seemed and masses of smiles.

One year, I have to ride this event as it looks like a lot of fun!

It does mark my volunteering SR for the year with various route checking and Arrivee duties on the willesden series. Been a lot of fun!

The day was rounded off with a spotting of Richard E Grant having an evening stroll as we pedalled over the river to home.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #162 on: 10 June, 2015, 07:53:07 am »
For the benefit of a sophomore AUK, "Type 1 fun" and "Type 2" please?
Eddington Number = 132

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #163 on: 10 June, 2015, 09:03:37 am »
I'm guessing Type 2 describes the kind of rides that only seem fun when you reminisce about them several months later, after the pain has worn off.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #164 on: 10 June, 2015, 09:08:57 am »
I'm guessing Type 2 describes the kind of rides that only seem fun when you reminisce about them several months later, after the pain has worn off.
Yep ... I know that feeling ...
Eddington Number = 132

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #165 on: 10 June, 2015, 06:07:17 pm »
Plenty of info on type 1,2 and even 3 fun on the internet, not surprisingly often linked to outdoor activities with a fair few involving mountains and ropes. Examples here http://lifeattheendofarope.blogspot.com/p/fun-scale.html and here http://www.ducttapethenbeer.com/three-types-of-fun/

I rather like this one as I can definitely identify with type 1.5 fun in audax http://www.tetongravity.com/story/adventure/the-three-and-a-half-types-of-fun-explained

« Reply #166 on: 11 June, 2015, 01:08:29 am »
Like fun, only different ...

menthel

Re: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 5th June 2016
« Reply #167 on: 22 December, 2015, 10:24:02 am »
Have already signed up for 2016. Hopefully I won't headbutt a van between now and then!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #168 on: 22 December, 2015, 11:46:58 am »
Gosh. That is being organised!

Yes. Avoid head butting vans.

I will not be on this one, I may make it to the pub at the end though. If I achieve what I plan to in the 8-9 preceding days, then I will need a drink!

There should be another Richmond based event in the calendar soon (early August 200km that I am putting together, a run down through the Surrey hills and into West Sussex to turn near Chichester and head back for home). I will start a thread once I get everything in place and it into the calendar.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

menthel

« Reply #169 on: 22 December, 2015, 12:20:53 pm »
Gosh. That is being organised!

Yes. Avoid head butting vans.

I will not be on this one, I may make it to the pub at the end though. If I achieve what I plan to in the 8-9 preceding days, then I will need a drink!

There should be another Richmond based event in the calendar soon (early August 200km that I am putting together, a run down through the Surrey hills and into West Sussex to turn near Chichester and head back for home). I will start a thread once I get everything in place and it into the calendar.

Have to get in early to book the time with the family!

Will be awaiting the appearance of the 200 on the calendar. If I can't cycle it I may offer up some help.

And yes, headbutting vans is very much worth avoiding, wrote off the whole of the year! ;)