Author Topic: Modifying rear axle  (Read 1815 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Modifying rear axle
« on: 31 October, 2016, 07:58:13 pm »
i'm wondering if it is possible to extend the left threaded side by 8mm (e.g. by welding or modifying another 10mm axle):

alternatively, is there a super-strong skewer that prevents an ss hub from creeping forward in track ends? with oversize serrated washers perhaps?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Modifying rear axle
« Reply #1 on: 31 October, 2016, 08:14:20 pm »
A pair of THESE would sort out your issues. No welding required.

I fitted a set to a Specialized TriCross single speed a while ago. A small modification was required to ensure the tensioners fitted snugly in the dropouts but once filed accurately they allowed the wheel to be secured without recourse to BFO spanners.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2016, 08:33:22 pm »
thank you, i agree that the tensioners work, however they a) add weight and complexity installing/removing rear wheel b) somewhat spoil the looks c) require carrying a specific tool

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2016, 08:44:14 pm »
Standard internal cam qr shouldn't slip, they don't on horizontal dropouts.

Slipping might be caused by a bent axle or out of parallel dropouts or track ends

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2016, 08:59:23 pm »

Slipping might be caused by a bent axle or out of parallel dropouts or track ends

i've measured the skewers i have and their minimum oln varies from 130-140mm. i need the one that can tighten 125mm track ends (outer distance). can skewers be threaded without compromising their strength?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2016, 09:02:34 pm »
thank you, i agree that the tensioners work, however they a) add weight and complexity installing/removing rear wheel b) somewhat spoil the looks c) require carrying a specific tool

MKS tensioners are beautifully made and don't spoil the looks.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2016, 09:31:00 pm »

MKS tensioners are beautifully made and don't spoil the looks.

these do look good, however the track ends are 9mm thick and i reckon mks tensioners will not "hug" them

eta: just found a wider version of it, which should do the job

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 31 October, 2016, 09:43:00 pm »

i've measured the skewers i have and their minimum oln varies from 130-140mm. i need the one that can tighten 125mm track ends (outer distance). can skewers be threaded without compromising their strength?

Yes, cut with a standard die. Though a rolled thread would be slightly stronger, I don't think it is a meaningful difference in this instance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 31 October, 2016, 09:51:51 pm »

I also have, surplus to requirements, a set of the sacrificial dropout plates for the Specialized frame. If your dropouts are marked/chewed then the skewer will have difficulty maintaining and even grip on the surface in a similar way to that of cheap BMX frames. The gripping surface is chewed up so it doesn't matter where you fix the skewer, it always drops into the groove that has formed.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.