Author Topic: Running my first race  (Read 7314 times)

annie

Running my first race
« on: 07 November, 2008, 07:31:44 pm »
I shall be running my first road race this Sunday - 7 miles. :-\

Does anyone have any last minute tips?  I already have the immodium to hand thank you very much.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Running my first race
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:32:42 pm »
Would you take advice from an obviously finely-honed athlete like me?

Good luck!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:34:40 pm »
Have fun!  :)  

Don't try anything new on the day - lucky socks and the regular brekkie / liquids / gels routine. :thumbsup:

At this time of year, it's easy to overdress.

Pace yourself, don't go out like a greyhound (unless you ARE a greyhound!).
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:43:42 pm »
Start with the people who are going to run at your expected pace and don't be tempted to go faster than you are used to.  Don't eat anything your not used to beforehand and make sure you wear clothes or trainers that are well broken in.  Have no expectations re time.

Other than that, just enjoy yourself and maybe allow yourself a sprint finish near the end!

I'm jealous...no races this year cos of injury!

annie

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:47:22 pm »
Thank you.

My trainers are a few months old, I shall wear my lucky socks.  I am currently running in shorts and a vest, I hate being constricted or too hot. 

I have been running seven miles on an empty stomach, only when I did my first long distance run of 11 miles (last week) did I consume a banana beforehand.  As the race does not start until 11am I will have time for brekkie.

My biggest fear is pace.  I know I should go out sensibly and concentrate on pacing myself.  Do I run at training pace and save some energy for the last mile or just up the pace throughout?

Is it worth consuming an energy gel during the run, I have never had problems with these when cycling?

« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:53:41 pm »
For pacing yourself. Concentrate on your expected time and effort. Ask yourself when you start, can I keep this up for 7 miles?
I did this when I ran cross country at school. Everyone left me behind, but half way around they would tire and I would work my way up to the front and usualy get in the top 5. I always came last in the sprint races.

Good luck :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:08:33 pm »
Running the second half of the race faster and harder than the first half is called a "negative split" in the jargon, and it's a pretty popular tactic.  It means you can get through the crowd, find your pace, get a nice rhythm going - and then open up. 

(me, I just grovel my way around puffing like Ivor the Engine, but the fast people say it's good)

Most races have distance markers, either km or miles, around the track.  You'll have an idea of your training pace, so you'll have an idea what time to be aiming for each marker and when to step it up. 

For my last 10k, for example, I wanted a 55 minute time so that would be 5:30 per km.  Didn't get it, but it was something to aim at :D
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

annie

« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:12:01 pm »
Thanks Andy, that's really useful.  I will use the markers wisely.  In training I run 7 miles in 55 minutes.

I will be happy to finish with a smile, knock an ickle bit of time off and avoid injury.

When I run I don't feel as though I am going very fast but hopefully this will not mean that I try to go even faster and expire at mile 4.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:13:22 pm »
Good luck my little Armpit Candy!   :-*

I shall send positive vibes your way on Sunday!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »
Thanks Andy, that's really useful.  I will use the markers wisely.  In training I run 7 miles in 55 minutes.

I will be happy to finish with a smile, knock an ickle bit of time off and avoid injury.

When I run I don't feel as though I am going very fast but hopefully this will not mean that I try to go even faster and expire at mile 4.

Sounds good.  My feeling would be to open up at mile 4 if there's freshness and power - you can afford to muller it, after all, and if you blow up, it'll just bring your overall pace back down to the training pace.  I like to do all this planning and strategising, it beats training ( ::-) )

But basically, have fun.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:23:14 pm »
Give yourself a good 3 hours of not eating and don't be tempted to try anything new, clothes, foods, shoes, routine, etc., etc.   Get everything packed and ready the night before including things like vaseline and toilet paper.  Then you won't need to worry and fuss in the morning.   Be early, find the loo (I always found nerves necessitated a trip) and just relax.  Do your normal warm up.       

In my first race I just set out at my 'pace' and let it flow.  I found to my surprise that just being in a crowd rather than on my own or with regular training partners that I was running faster but not with conscious effort.  It felt fantastic  :thumbsup:

Biggest tip:  Enjoy yourself. 

Best of luck. 

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:07:25 pm »
Looking at the weather forecast, a weight belt, or perhaps old time diving boots, might be a good idea.

It looks very windy, and there's hardly anything of you, so don't get blown away...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

annie

« Reply #12 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:20:02 pm »
Looking at the weather forecast, a weight belt, or perhaps old time diving boots, might be a good idea.

It looks very windy, and there's hardly anything of you, so don't get blown away...

I looked at the forecast earlier.  I don't think the wind will be favourable.  I might be taking longer than I thought.  Just finishing will be a bonus.  I will be running my own race.

Off to meditate in the hope it will calm my nerves.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:54:16 pm »
You'll do it with the same skill, dedication and apparent ease that you do everything else.

Enjoy it!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14 on: 09 November, 2008, 08:26:35 am »

Relax and enjoy. Its your first time.

Good luck

« Reply #15 on: 09 November, 2008, 08:34:15 am »
I wish I had any significant useful advice, but like others have said, enjoy yourself!

I've occasionally done some running, and I think a 10km is about my limit of enjoyment. Unfortunately I'm hopeless at pacing myself, the same as on a bike, and tend to want to go at maximum speed all the time, so knacker myself out.  If you can pace yourself and keep the speed down then great, I'm in awe of your self control (or my lack of the same!) ;D

Have fun. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

annie

« Reply #16 on: 09 November, 2008, 08:37:53 am »
Thanks guys.

Self control?  Right now it would be very easy for me to go back to bed with some oral rehydration therapy and hide under the duvet for an hour.  Of course I am not going to do that and I shall live to tell the tale.

One thing that has helped me in my training is riding audaxes, tis all mental, in more ways than one.

:)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #17 on: 09 November, 2008, 08:41:37 am »
Annie

May I suggest that you revert to plan A, and use something with 2 wheels as a method of covering the required distance ??

Being serious, which is difficult, Good luck !!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 09 November, 2008, 08:56:55 am »
Indeed, have a great time and enjoy it.

Knowing you, you won't be satisfied with your performance. :o

As it's your first time, be gentle with you... O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 09 November, 2008, 09:20:47 am »
I have never been able to run any distance usefully.
All I can say is

GOOD LUCK!

annie

« Reply #20 on: 09 November, 2008, 09:28:10 am »
Indeed, have a great time and enjoy it.

Knowing you, you won't be satisfied with your performance. :o

As it's your first time, be gentle with you... O:-)

You know me far too well.  Mum always knows best ;D

At least I slept last night, unlike my first 200km audax. 

Right, Immodium consumed, bag packed, shower taken, clothes are on my body, time to make a move as I have to take a detour due to the service taking place in the High Street.

Toodle pip and see you all later.

« Reply #21 on: 09 November, 2008, 09:28:46 am »
I can't offer any advice, but I wish you well. Good Luck.

« Reply #22 on: 09 November, 2008, 09:32:41 am »

... Immodium consumed ...

Surely it is the runs that you need ...

IGMC  :thumbsup:

Hope you had a good one.

annie

« Reply #23 on: 09 November, 2008, 01:39:30 pm »
Well I did it, I completed my first ever road race.  I know it wasn't many miles but it was such good fun.

We started off quite near the front, which is what I didn't want to do.  Set off at a good pace but was unsure what pace it was as there were so many people.  I concentrated on my breathing and was guided by that to tell me if I was pushing it too hard.

It was the first time I have run with a group and even managed to master the art of grabbing a cup of water, sloshing it in the vicinity of my mouth, throwing it into the verge and onwards.

I paced myself well on the hills, little pixie steps, all the time concentating on my breathing.

I was amazed when mile 5 came up.

At the start we were passed by a few people and then we fell into a pace, passing lots of other folks.  By mile 3 I was only passed by one other person and then caught him up at the end, what a wonderful feeling.

I did think that I was not competitive but I might have changed my view of that after this morning.  I set myself a goal, I completed it, I had a smile on my face at the end.

At mile six I upped the pace even more, got up the last hill and then sprinted to the finish, my face was burning, I felt a bit sick, actually I felt a lot sick.  I crossed the line at either 52.55 or 53.55, can't remember which one as I was just so pleased to get to the finish.

I did chat to some people on the way and was silly once or twice.

My thanks have to go to Simon for encouraging me to enter, for running with me and for inspiring me :-*

I have walked the dogs and now must grab a shower and give my legs a post run massage.

I have the biggest smile ever.

I never thought I would run a race but I did, my mum would be so proud of me. :)

Edit:  The marshalls and race organisers were fantastic.   So too was the guy on the blue Ribble who rode along and cheered everyone on.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #24 on: 09 November, 2008, 01:45:22 pm »
Very nicely done!   ;D