Author Topic: Inverness 1200  (Read 57522 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Re: Inverness 1200
« Reply #275 on: 20 August, 2022, 10:35:11 pm »
I'm finalizing the route next weekend shortly after which I'll be emailing all entrants final route details and GPS Tracks. It might yet avoid the A9.

Suggest you keep an eye on events website in the meantime:

https://burnleyccevents.com/

Andy Corless

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #276 on: 20 August, 2022, 10:49:02 pm »
Looking at the route I see it goes on the dual carriageway A9 for about 35 miles into Inverness, that's a motorway in all but name, could be dodgy in mist or rain which is not uncommon, it's the bit that is really making think twice about this ride. I can't see any alternatives though.

The route as currently up takes to the A9 after Carrbridge, forget that just dinnae.
Before turning onto the A9 the old road runs parallel and takes you straight up Slochd, following the EV1/NCN7
There is a gate or 2 when you leave the bit of the old road on the way up Slochd that is still open to traffic (7km on route linked below)
Plunge down to the Findhorn bridge towards Moy. Some of it is a bit rough round there which may be an issue for a velomobile... but typical NCN, I don't remember there being much issues with width on the bits where the old road is narrowed to a path or where a new path has been built, but if there is it'll be beside the A9 so...

This is also where you need to make a call, fastest route all down hill into Inverness on the A9 dual carriage way, or either the east or west routes via culduthel or culloden which add a bit of distance but
Like this: (East Route)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40659018

The West path on the Kessock bridge is shut so I've routed that over the east side path.
That route I've plotted appears to be about 2km longer.

Also, if you get lost Avoch only has it's last sylable and Ock is something else.

« Reply #277 on: 20 August, 2022, 11:06:51 pm »
Hi Andy

Looking at the RWGPS route linked from your website,  you've got an illegal right turn onto Perth Bridge (just after km 374).

Instead of taking Tay St then turning right onto the bridge, you need to go left off Tay St onto the High St,  then right onto George St, then straight on over the bridge (or you could go right from Tay St onto Queen's Bridge then left onto Dundee Rd, then straight on past where you would have turned left off Perth Bridge).

Not sure what time the riders would be coming through this section,  but the first route I've given also takes you past a decent LBS: Richards Cycles at 44 George Street (on the left, about half way up)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #278 on: 20 August, 2022, 11:15:53 pm »
It is a doable movement but needs you to use the shared use rather than lane, go under the bridge and wind back up onto the shared use on the bridge, which obviously is what I've done everytime I've forgotten about it... Honest... (or go through jct and do a uey)

Going down to Dron from Glenfarg is rather rapid, I prefer the slower route through gorge but I'm no fan of the baiglie straight.

Going over dava would be a way more interesting route from Carrbridge to Inverness

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #279 on: 21 August, 2022, 12:16:38 am »
The Baiglie straight is lethal, definitely to be avoided (although it's apparently getting a new shared use path alongside it in the near future).

The road surface down through the gorge past the Bein Inn is atrocious- plus as well as all the people driving far too fast through the twisty bits you have to watch out for the skip lorries coming to and from the ever expanding waste processing site at Binn Farm. I'd 100% choose the Wicks O' Baiglie Road every time on a bike

« Reply #280 on: 08 September, 2022, 09:50:31 am »
After knackering a tendon in my right shin on the ACME grand 1000k and likely not cycling for another couple of weeks I won't be entering this challenging ride. 

Andy Corless

« Reply #281 on: 10 September, 2022, 10:51:06 pm »
That's a shame; I'm just about to send out the GPS Tracks and event information. There'll be a couple of updates on the event website as well.

https://burnleyccevents.com/

Andy Corless

« Reply #282 on: 11 September, 2022, 07:34:43 pm »
That looks a fantastic route, good luck to all you brave souls who attempt it, I hope the weather is kind.

Andy Corless

« Reply #283 on: 11 September, 2022, 11:44:21 pm »
Thanks for your best wishes for the event. Still not too late to enter:

https://burnleyccevents.com/inverness-1200-05-july-2019/

Andy Corless

« Reply #284 on: 12 September, 2022, 08:39:03 pm »
Thanks for your best wishes for the event. Still not too late to enter:

https://burnleyccevents.com/inverness-1200-05-july-2019/

Andy Corless

Thanks Andy I would love to but due to an admin error by HR and me failing to check it, Im pretty much out of Annual leave now until next April.  ::-)

« Reply #285 on: 19 September, 2022, 09:38:35 am »
Still no information email or website update, as far as I can see. I take it that the event is still going ahead?

« Reply #286 on: 19 September, 2022, 05:35:52 pm »
I assume so, because I had an email response last week to confirm the location of the HQ in Clitheroe (it's the St Mary's centre, which people might know from previous events).

« Reply #287 on: 19 September, 2022, 06:50:23 pm »
Was that a direct response? Only seen the email regarding the potential road closures so far.

« Reply #288 on: 19 September, 2022, 07:27:13 pm »
I assume so, because I had an email response last week to confirm the location of the HQ in Clitheroe (it's the St Mary's centre, which people might know from previous events).

Well, that’s something at least. Thanks.

Andy Corless

« Reply #289 on: 19 September, 2022, 09:35:19 pm »
You should all have had an email about a week or so ago advising the final GPS Tracks would be issued nearer the time as we're keeping a close eye on the roads around Balmoral for potential road closures. It looks like everything's now going to be OK so the final event information should be issued within the next 24 hours. If you haven't had it before Wednesday morning let us know. The route is still very much that as the GPS Track.

Andy Corless

« Reply #290 on: 21 September, 2022, 01:07:27 pm »
Wednesday afternoon. Has anybody received any updated information?

« Reply #291 on: 21 September, 2022, 02:34:20 pm »
Nothing here.  I'll email in and see if it is fubar and if there is anything I can do to help.  I'll also ask for the control open/close times and what will be laid on at the turn and the finish.  I was rather hoping for a route sheet today - this is last minute by anyone's standards! 

« Reply #292 on: 21 September, 2022, 02:39:34 pm »
Nothing here.  I'll email in and see if it is fubar and if there is anything I can do to help.  I'll also ask for the control open/close times and what will be laid on at the turn and the finish.  I was rather hoping for a route sheet today - this is last minute by anyone's standards!

I've assumed that the controls are as per the AUK entry page, with Avoch replacing Kirkhill according to the RWGPS route. I'm sure it'll all be fine but I normally like a little more time to plan such a long ride!

« Reply #293 on: 21 September, 2022, 02:44:51 pm »
I'd assume the opposite - the RWGPS was last edited a year or so ago.  What is on the AUK page should be definitive.  The updated ride would have been resubmitted for approval.  I assume an updated RA would go with that.

« Reply #294 on: 21 September, 2022, 02:47:12 pm »
I'd assume the opposite - the RWGPS was last edited a year or so ago.  What is on the AUK page should be definitive.  The updated ride would have been resubmitted for approval.  I assume an updated RA would go with that.

OK, well in that case, I know even less than I thought I did!  :D :D

Andy Corless

« Reply #295 on: 21 September, 2022, 11:07:26 pm »
Kirkhill actually replaced Avoch which we lost some time ago. As rightly pointed out the GPS Track was a little bit out of date but this has now been sorted. A dog leg has been added to make up for the under distance.

I'm still keeping a close eye on events around Balmoral for potential road closures. You should have had an email tonight with the Track.

Andy Corless

« Reply #296 on: 22 September, 2022, 03:26:37 pm »
Just doing a bit of route familiarisation and noticed a possible problem heading North across the bridge at Gairnshiel A939.  Google Maps says road closed - can anyone with local knowledge confirm that this should be OK for cyclists/pedestrians on Monday?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #297 on: 22 September, 2022, 03:35:54 pm »
Closures are as and when needed for the building of the new bridge so Aberdeenshire councils works list just lists it as closed until early 2023

The last reported full closure was 2 weeks from 22nd August with access for pedestrians when possible.

There problem is the footbridge (some way off road) and swimming it options are also out as the worksite is towards the foot of the climb, though suppose you could climb up the hillside with bike to get round.
Just watch out for adders.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Andy Corless

« Reply #298 on: 22 September, 2022, 10:48:08 pm »
According to Google Maps the bridge at Gairnshiel A939 is only closed to motor vehicles. More about this tomorrow morning when further event information is sent out to all entrants.

Andy Corless

« Reply #299 on: 23 September, 2022, 05:53:11 pm »
Or maybe not?  The plot thickens - the GPS route on https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37502507 now has dog legs to Nairn and Broughton/Longridge.  Are there new controls about to be sprung?  Maybe some infos?