Author Topic: Transcontinental 2019  (Read 3884 times)

Re: Transcontinental 2019
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2019, 06:51:17 pm »
If you take roughly 25 days you may find yourself entering Brest with 6,500 other riders.

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2019, 06:54:41 pm »
If you take your time there will be plenty of roadside facilities on the run into Brest.

(You'd be looking at around 31 days. The TCR lanterne rouge last year took about 40 days, so it could happen...)

You would come in on a much more southerly line from Alp D'Huez surely unless you made a big dog leg north first.

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2019, 08:45:41 pm »
Ref tires. I went with 44mm tubeless. (compass) and would do it again though possibly with 650b.
I cant see that they are any slower than thinner slicks on ultra races, and they sure are more comfortable. The key is that they are pliable and not tractor like.
I guess the racing snakes at the sharp end with deep wheels that are hitting high speeds would benefit from more aero tires but not for normal folk.
I guess bike/rider weight is a consideration too. A bantam weight guy's 32mm (Zigzag) is equivalent to another riders 40+mm.
All the gear and no idea.Three dimensionally dyslexic.

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2019, 10:48:34 pm »
I guess the racing snakes at the sharp end with deep wheels that are hitting high speeds would benefit from more aero tires but not for normal folk.

It's more about priorities than benefit. Remember the slower rider benefits more than a faster one from being more aero because he spends more time in the wind!

Fwiw James Hayden said he would use 32s as a minimum of he was riding this year.