Author Topic: Tour de France 2020  (Read 42032 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Tour de France 2020
« Reply #300 on: 19 September, 2020, 06:16:37 pm »
Which makes him a likely international TT winner?  Didn't realise Slovakia were a big player in the world cycling scene.

My grate frend Mr Zabovnik gets very cheesed off with people who confuse Slovakia and Slovenia :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LMT

« Reply #301 on: 19 September, 2020, 06:27:41 pm »
Awesome ride by Pogacar, may he dominate for years to come.

Haters gonna hate as always.

« Reply #302 on: 19 September, 2020, 07:21:33 pm »
^ exactly what the Armstrong fanbois used to say

Nick H.

« Reply #303 on: 19 September, 2020, 07:37:45 pm »
One change I'd like to see is getting rid of Boulting. He's rubbish. Get Millar to do it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #304 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:32:20 pm »
However rubbish TV's *** Boulting may be, he's still streets ahead of Phil Liggett :demon: Matt Rendell is OK as a source of obscure facts and as Nice Chris Boardman's straight man but should on no account be allowed to colemantate on the actual race.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #305 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:42:44 pm »
Phil Liggett (my mum used to sit next to him at work in the 60s) looked a bit of an arse when he was the last person to keep defending LA in the face of overwhelming evidence.  I guess that's why he's been off the British TV coverage.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #306 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:43:48 pm »
Having now watched the highlights. I have one question.

Why does Roglic's helmet look like it doesn't fit?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #307 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:51:22 pm »
Phil Liggett (my mum used to sit next to him at work in the 60s) looked a bit of an arse when he was the last person to keep defending LA in the face of overwhelming evidence.  I guess that's why he's been off the British TV coverage.

IIRC the Liggett-Sherwen Show was an independent operation which charged broadcasters $BIGNUM for its services. Vsquared probably decided they could do it cheaper with *** & Super D Millar and the vast majority of the viewers wouldn’t notice, because they only ever watch one race a year.  Super D was absolutely dreadful on his first outing – I think it was the Tour of BRITAIN – but got a lot better very quickly when sent to France.

His Jumbo Visma baseball caps don’t fit either.  I can only conclude it's because he's got a funny-shaped head.

LMT

« Reply #308 on: 19 September, 2020, 09:01:44 pm »

Pogacar is not Armstrong.

HTH.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #309 on: 19 September, 2020, 09:06:13 pm »
Squirrel (OK, a tree rat) behind NC Boardman in the highlights!  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #310 on: 19 September, 2020, 09:09:14 pm »

HTH.

Nor was Armstrong until he was found out.

LMT

« Reply #311 on: 19 September, 2020, 09:50:18 pm »

HTH.

Nor was Armstrong until he was found out.

Which was in 1999 but was covered up by the UCI.

rob

« Reply #312 on: 19 September, 2020, 09:55:22 pm »

J

The thing with aero lids is that they are positioned to work best when you are down in the aero position.   It will look crap when in a normal road position.   The thing with this though is that it actually looked quite crap when he was in the tuck to begin with.   All a bit odd as Jumbo have done a shit load of work with aero expert and multi UK TT champ Dan Bingham.

As for the rest of today, not normal.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #313 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:27:53 pm »
Amazing that he managed to go so hard on the entire course to take 2 minutes out of Roglic, win the stage,  AND still go up the climb faster than polka-dot jersey wearer, Carapaz, who took it easy on the flat section.

Carapaz who is the current Giro champion.

The more I think if this the more I struggle to believe.

Matching Dumolin on the flat followed by fastest ever climb up the Planche. And it's now the end of the TdF opposed it's normal position early on in the race.

What happened to out of competition tests during the pandemic?

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1307425217770381312
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #314 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:46:51 pm »
How long to wait for the other shoe to drop? Weeks, months or years?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #315 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:47:11 pm »
Out of competition testing was reduced by 90-95% during the height of the lockdown, according to Mr Google, but the CADF claims it was back to normal by early September. Pinot “expressed concern” about it back in April, saying he hadn’t had one since October 2019, but the rest of article is behind the Torygraph's paywall.

Nick H.

« Reply #316 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:03:26 pm »
If people are judging Pogacar I hope they are taking into account that Roglic had a very, very bad day.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #317 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:07:27 pm »
the rest of article is behind the Torygraph's paywall.

Thibaut Pinot, the Groupama-FDJ rider, has admitted he is concerned by the current lack of out-of-competition drug testing. In an interview with L’Equipe, Pinot revealed that his last test was back in October of last year.

While that predates the coronavirus pandemic, the lockdown currently being enforced across much of the globe in an attempt to slow the spread of Covid-19 has led to huge reduction in out-of-competition testing.

That is being seen by some as a ‘golden window’ for athletes to cheat with impunity.

Pinot’s words follow similar warnings from other athletes worldwide. American swimmer Katie Ledecky admitted last week that she had “a little bit of concern” about the lack of testing during the pandemic.

“I do have hope it will ramp up in Olympic year, but it’s a little concerning and I don’t think it will give some athletes the same kind of confidence that they’re competing against clean athletes,” she told USA Today.

Even before this summer’s Games were postponed, Travis Tygert, the chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency and the man who brought down both Lance Armstrong and Sir Mo Farah’s former coach Alberto Salazar, was warning that they had to be delayed as they risked becoming “the dirtiest Games ever”.

Tygart said there was a “window of opportunity” for athletes who were not “willing to compete clean”.

Some anti-doping agencies around the world have halted their testing programmes completely during the pandemic while others, including UK Anti-Doping, have announced a “significant reduction”.

Nicole Sapstead, the Ukad chief executive, responded to criticism of that announcement by insisting that athletes were “strongly mistaken” if they believed the rules could be broken amidst the coronavirus outbreak.

Sapstead said: "There will always be a minority that will seek to dope, and whether that is now, when they think they are effectively off the radar of national anti-doping organisations, or at any other time, my message to them is very, very clear - we will continue to process intelligence, we will continue to monitor whereabouts, and we will continue to monitor the raft of information we have available to us, such as the athlete biological passports.”

Her words will not inspire huge confidence, although without the lockdown being lifted, and social distancing rules eased, it is difficult to know what can be done. Usada has begun trialling a remote testing programme with various Olympic stars.

More than a dozen athletes, including Olympic swimming champions Ledecky and Lilly King, have been invited to take part in a trial which involves the athletes collecting their own urine and blood while being observed remotely on Zoom or FaceTime by officials.

Testing kits have been sent to those involved, who must produce samples of their blood and urine upon receiving an unannounced call from a Usada doping control officer.

A spokesman for UK Anti-Doping told Telegraph Sport last week that it was “watching with interest” to see how the trial went.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #318 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:08:18 pm »
It isn’t about Roglic. It is all about which performances are believable.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #319 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:09:23 pm »
If people are judging Pogacar I hope they are taking into account that Roglic had a very, very bad day.

Its irrelevant.

See Adamski's post above. It wasnt Roglic's ride that makes Pogacar's look insane

« Reply #320 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:21:21 pm »
It's believable when compared with WVA's ...
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #321 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:33:55 pm »
That shot of Dumoulin and van Aert, both looking shell-shocked, said a lot.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #322 on: 20 September, 2020, 12:41:17 am »
That shot of Dumoulin and van Aert, both looking shell-shocked, said a lot.

As in “Wait… WHAT! His [”kumquats” – The Invigilator] are even MOAR potent than ours :o” shell-shocked :demon: ?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #323 on: 20 September, 2020, 07:05:09 am »
I wonder what LeMond will have to say?  Probably keep very quiet if asked for a quote...he must have his suspicions.  At least he's generally accepted to have beaten Fignon through aerodynamics (and Fignon's lack of sleep due to saddle sores) 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #324 on: 20 September, 2020, 07:13:53 am »
He won't say anything, I suspect.

The thing that struck me about Pogačar throughout the Tour was the weakness of his team, and how he pretty much rode it on his own...against JV who were the strongest team by miles.

Anyway, Pogačar's manager and sports director must be delighted to get a win. When their protege, Riccardo Ricco, turned out to be using a new and (previously) undetectable product (CERA) it must have been such a shock and surprise.