Author Topic: How messed up is your post at the moment?  (Read 17226 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: How messed up is your post at the moment?
« Reply #100 on: 27 November, 2020, 04:35:06 pm »
Ordered a book from Turkey. It arrived 6 days after despatch with excellent tracking info. The trains probably run on time, too.

I ordered some boots from REI in California on 10 November.  They arrived at my house on 16 November.

Mr R has just had to deliver the mail for a house in a completely different street.  We regularly get their post.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #101 on: 28 November, 2020, 08:19:26 am »
Well, we appear to have Dr. Who working from our local P.O.  The copy of Radio Times* for 5th Dec onwards arrived before the copy for the issue for 28th Nov - 4th Dec.  It must be Dr. Who because there's a pic of a D A L E K on the cover of the 5th Dec issue.

*If it were left to me, given how little TV we watch, we wouldn't buy it, but the decision is not mine.  Come to that I'd have got rid of the TV entirely when all the transmissions went binary, but that's an argument discussion for another day. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #102 on: 28 November, 2020, 08:25:36 am »

Mr R has just had to deliver the mail for a house in a completely different street.  We regularly get their post.

We often get stuff for a house over the road with a similar(ish) name.  No big deal, but slightly worried that they have never come over with anything that went the other way round.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #103 on: 28 November, 2020, 12:02:52 pm »
Miss Dan the Elder, in York, is still waiting for a parcel I posted on Monday. The other thing I posted that day arrived near Glasgow several days ago.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #104 on: 28 November, 2020, 12:34:42 pm »
We had a replacement post the week before last. On his first day I got mail for one other neighbour and a different neighbour got mail for me and another neighbour.

When I say neighbour, I mean 10 or so houses away from us...
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #105 on: 28 November, 2020, 01:04:05 pm »
We got post for Biddisham. 5 miles thataway.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #106 on: 05 December, 2020, 10:02:21 pm »

Not so much messed up post as wtf? the UK has 8.5p stamps!?!?!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #107 on: 05 December, 2020, 10:12:27 pm »

J

It did in...1976:o

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #108 on: 05 December, 2020, 10:26:53 pm »
That Fergie/Andrew stamp is quite the period piece!

« Reply #109 on: 05 December, 2020, 10:45:22 pm »

J

An interesting collection of twentieth century stamps there to whet the appetite of many a philatelist.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #110 on: 23 December, 2020, 05:27:17 pm »
Using old stamps obviously a thing this year. This from a mate of mine.  ICBA to goggle, but IIRC the railway stamps date from 1980 (150th anniversary of proper railways in UK). Got some stashed away in old album somewhere.

As for messed up post.  *Three* deliveries today.  Two letter deliveries, one before breakfast, and one parcel.  Why it's quite like old times.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #111 on: 23 December, 2020, 06:54:53 pm »
Unexpected delivery today of an item I'd ordered from an online .co.uk running shop at the beginning of the month.
It was intended to be a crimbo prezzie.

It was not obvious that the item was actually coming from Spain.
I'd given up any hope of it arriving in time.

I was fully expecting it to show up sometime in late Jan, with a customs charge slapped on it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #112 on: 23 December, 2020, 07:03:05 pm »

J

Whose hand is that on Fergie's shoulder?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #113 on: 23 December, 2020, 07:54:52 pm »
No postman for 2 days.  Useles bastards.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #114 on: 23 December, 2020, 08:31:09 pm »

J

Whose hand is that on Fergie's shoulder?

Jeffrey Epstein's.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #115 on: 23 December, 2020, 09:21:27 pm »
I have a feeling that wherever his hand is, it's not on her shoulder.

« Reply #116 on: 24 December, 2020, 12:04:20 am »
Using old stamps obviously a thing this year. This from a mate of mine.  ICBA to goggle, but IIRC the railway stamps date from 1980 (150th anniversary of proper railways in UK). Got some stashed away in old album somewhere.

As for messed up post.  *Three* deliveries today.  Two letter deliveries, one before breakfast, and one parcel.  Why it's quite like old times.

Sheesh. I have those railway stamps on a first day cover from Holy Island.

I say "I have"- they're at the ancestral homelands.

I paid extra on Saturday, for a box to get to Glocs for Monday. Still not there. It has a stocking (empty) in there.
How can it be Chrimbo without a sock?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #117 on: 24 December, 2020, 07:47:43 am »
I have been amazed at the delivery service we've had - parcel posted to me last Saturday from Cheshire (large-ish, flat - it's a framed painting) arrived AM Tuesday - and some stuff ordered from Amazon on Tuesday about 1700 has been advised as being delivered by RM this morning.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #118 on: 24 December, 2020, 09:17:30 am »
No postman yesterday but, to be fair, RM doesn't issue canoes and snorkels as standard equipment.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #119 on: 24 December, 2020, 01:53:58 pm »
I was thinking about letter boxes and thus about the size of envelopes. My sister lives in a short but steep late-Victorian street. All the houses are very similar (apart from the one on the corner) and they've all retained their original front doors. But hers seems to be the only one with an original late-Victorian letter box. Shiny (or would be if she polished it) brass, with LETTERS cast into its flap in attractive capital, er, letters, in case late-Victorian posties were confused. But it's too small to get any modern post through! Every year, she displays a row of concave and convex Christmas cards.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #120 on: 24 December, 2020, 05:53:00 pm »
My postie was telling me today that instead of the usual 8-12,000 packets per day on the busiest days, they've been nearer 25,000 at the moment, and 33 posties to deal with them.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #121 on: 27 December, 2020, 10:16:38 pm »
I was thinking about letter boxes and thus about the size of envelopes. My sister lives in a short but steep late-Victorian street. All the houses are very similar (apart from the one on the corner) and they've all retained their original front doors. But hers seems to be the only one with an original late-Victorian letter box. Shiny (or would be if she polished it) brass, with LETTERS cast into its flap in attractive capital, er, letters, in case late-Victorian posties were confused. But it's too small to get any modern post through! Every year, she displays a row of concave and convex Christmas cards.
I did some leafleting a couple of years back. I reckon about one in three letterboxes is designed to damage or reject most post - with varying combinations of small flaps, tight brushes and powerful springs. In the latter case there’s also the risk to the poster - Mrs Dan has one slightly short finger after a childhood incident.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #122 on: 27 December, 2020, 11:30:01 pm »

J

An interesting collection of twentieth century stamps there to whet the appetite of many a philatelist.

er yeah!
Was about to say the ages are all over the shop!

Looks like the Caxton one is from 1976
And is worth £1.50 on ebay rather than 8.5p they are when used in the post

The shop in the village with the house at the top of Fife ran out of stamps on multiple occasions in the run up to christmas, wouldn't be surprised if the shop near the new house that's only just on the right side of the Lomonds had similar issues with stamp supplies, and same for others.
Bit daft to dig out your stamp collection though, can't you just print a franked label on line these days?

« Reply #123 on: 28 December, 2020, 07:44:19 am »
I did some leafleting a couple of years back. I reckon about one in three letterboxes is designed to damage or reject most post - with varying combinations of small flaps, tight brushes and powerful springs. In the latter case there’s also the risk to the poster - Mrs Dan has one slightly short finger after a childhood incident.

The French system was super. You buy a largish tin box that you attach to the wall of your house.

Every box comes with two keys that open a door to allow you to get your mail.

The postie puts the letters through a letter flap but if there is a parcel then they can use a master key that fits all boxes to open the door and put the parcel inside.

Of course it is a nationwide standard difficult to implement.

My eBay order recently arrived having taken 13 days Royal mail. An item sent Yodel took 3 days and Amazon stuff arrived day after order.

Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #124 on: 28 December, 2020, 08:36:08 am »
If the postman comes tomorrow, it will be 8 days since he's last done this round. I assume the lazy bastards took off Boxing Day AND the bank holiday in lieu of Boxing Day.  I am going to complain to RM tomorrow as this round is always the one that gets dropped.  The sorting office must be full of Christmas cards.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.