Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 96491 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #600 on: 06 January, 2023, 08:32:29 pm »
The Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety has released some recommendations for the possible legalisation of private e-scooters: https://www.pacts.org.uk/the-safety-of-private-e-scooters-in-the-uk-pacts-research/
They include mandatory helmets, daytime lights, a lower speed restriction than the hire scooters or e-bikes (12.5mph v 15mph), and no passengers.

Those don't seem too onerous, apart from the helmet requirement, which will be ignored as needed along with 'no passengers'.

I know the CTC was pushing for them to be slower than ebikes in order to encourage people to cycle, which I thought was a bit silly.

The minimum wheel size and brake requirements seem like a good idea, in terms of actually making them safer.  Nothing about battery safety, but I suppose that's covered by other regulations.

I wonder if audible warming means a noise generator, or a Mk 1 bicycle bell?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #601 on: 06 January, 2023, 08:43:59 pm »
I didn't know the CTC was pushing for a lower limit. The hire bikes are in practice slower than most cyclists on the flat, while most of the private ones are nearly up to urban car speed (bearing in mind I'm in Bristol so car speed is not much faster than cyclist speed anyway) with a few being much faster, so I wonder how many people currently using those are going to be satisfied with topping out at 12.5mph? I suspect the anti-tampering devices will be severely tested.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #602 on: 06 January, 2023, 08:52:02 pm »
And "Drink driving, dangerous or careless riding, and handheld mobile phone use to be prohibited": Surely those are illegal anyway?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #603 on: 06 January, 2023, 09:01:10 pm »
Some interesting data has now been published evaluating the e-scooter trials.

Looks like the casualty rate is 3 x that of riding a bike.

Presumably the cycling stats aren't equivalent though - an awful lot of cycling miles are clocked up by experienced - if not actually sensible - cyclists on country roads[1] for the sake of riding a bike.  I expect it would be more comparable if you restricted the cycling data to urban cyclists under the age of 35.

And as expected, most of the users of e-scooters (70%) have switched from walking, cycling or using public transport. So most people won't be giving up their car and public health will carry on getting worse due to a lack of exercise.

Interesting to see the shift in uses as the novelty factor wears off.

I hadn't really considered that people would use e-scooters in preference to walking because of perceived social safety.  Which is ironic, given that I'm a strong proponent of the advantages of cycling over public transport for exactly that reason.   :facepalm:

Replacing walking isn't inherently a bad thing when it's done by someone with a mobility impairment, but I do think the inherent nature of scooters as a form short-range[2] transport means they're going to replace urban walking rather than longer mixed-mode or car journeys.  If you've got a >5 mile commute, or want to carry stuff an ebike looks like a more attractive option.

I'd also note that the hire aspect might be skewing the cycling shift figures:  The one time I used a Voi scooter for transport (rather than trying out a scooter) was because I specifically didn't want to leave my bike locked up in town overnight.  The report also mentions people using scooters instead of cycling when their cycle was out of action, and I know a local cyclist whose puncture repair technique seems to involve locking up the bike and continuing by scooter (presumably taking the wheel, and returning having repaired the puncture the next day).

What it does show is that there's an appetite for personal transport where public transport is impractical.  Which we knew already.

[1] I've encountered an e-scooter rider on a country road exactly once, and it took me a minute to realise it wasn't an alien spacecraft approaching silently at speed from behind.
[2] How far would a reasonable person want to ride one?  They're not exactly a triumph of ergonomics.

« Reply #604 on: 06 January, 2023, 09:26:19 pm »
Looks like the casualty rate is 3 x that of riding a bike.  And as expected, most of the users of e-scooters (70%) have switched from walking, cycling or using public transport. So most people won't be giving up their car and public health will carry on getting worse due to a lack of exercise.
EDIT - Some cross posting with Kim.
Most users of private scooters I see are under 20, it'll be interesting to see the numbers in a few years time when those who have always used scooters get to the age you'd expect them to start driving, it may be the case that a proportion of them will continue using a scooter.  Plus, the data about what journeys they are replacing is skewed by the collection and drop off points, we can't make like for like comparisons until they offer the same door to door convenience as a car. 
From a usage perspective, I don't think the trials were ever going to establish anything other than if there was the demand.

« Reply #605 on: 06 January, 2023, 09:29:36 pm »
The Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety has released some recommendations for the possible legalisation of private e-scooters: https://www.pacts.org.uk/the-safety-of-private-e-scooters-in-the-uk-pacts-research/
They include mandatory helmets, daytime lights, a lower speed restriction than the hire scooters or e-bikes (12.5mph v 15mph), and no passengers.

Those don't seem too onerous, apart from the helmet requirement, which will be ignored as needed along with 'no passengers'.

I know the CTC was pushing for them to be slower than ebikes in order to encourage people to cycle, which I thought was a bit silly.

The minimum wheel size and brake requirements seem like a good idea, in terms of actually making them safer.  Nothing about battery safety, but I suppose that's covered by other regulations.
Minimum 12" front wheel is interesting. Think that is bigger than any of the hire schemes, or most electric scooters that are available to buy. Seems most are only 8" or 10", even the more expensive models. If you go much bigger, you are onto proper kickbike type things.
Also says maximum possible speed 12.5mph. Are you allowed to go faster than that downhill, or just kicking?

« Reply #606 on: 06 January, 2023, 09:36:25 pm »
Minimum 12" front wheel is interesting. Think that is bigger than any of the hire schemes, or most electric scooters that are available to buy. Seems most are only 8" or 10", even the more expensive models. If you go much bigger, you are onto proper kickbike type things.
Also says maximum possible speed 12.5mph. Are you allowed to go faster than that downhill, or just kicking?
When it comes to the tech spec aren't we just going to end up with what the EU decide? Yes I know the UK can make it's own rules, but large scale manufacturers are not going to want to make a substantially different product for the UK market.

« Reply #607 on: 06 January, 2023, 09:46:02 pm »
We'll likely specify a minimum wheel size bigger than the EU ('cos Brexit, and we can, and we're British), then all and sundry will complain that our scooters are more expensive than the ones in Europe.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #608 on: 06 January, 2023, 09:53:28 pm »
We'll likely specify a minimum wheel size bigger than the EU ('cos Brexit, and we can, and we're British), then all and sundry will complain that our scooters are more expensive than the ones in Europe.

This seems like a sound Daily Mail compliant strategy for killing off a fun means of transport used by young people, under the pretence of supporting BRITISH industry.

The hire schemes will decide it's too much effort, and people will continue to use unrestricted Chinesium imports with exploding battery packs.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #609 on: 06 January, 2023, 10:03:54 pm »
https://www.voi.com/blog/voiager-5/
They make a lot of the new BIGGER! wheel size but don't state a measurement. I'd guess around 10".

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #610 on: 06 January, 2023, 10:05:39 pm »

No kicking, that'll be the motor cut-out speed. Presumably it can go faster rolling downhill, though seeing them go down the hill here, they don't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #611 on: 06 January, 2023, 10:08:12 pm »
No kicking, that'll be the motor cut-out speed. Presumably it can go faster rolling downhill, though seeing them go down the hill here, they don't.

I didn't try one on a Bastard Hill of North Bristol™, but they certainly don't roll particularly well on the lesser gradients of Middle Earth.  I couldn't work out if this was due to regenerative braking, or just crap wheels.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #612 on: 06 January, 2023, 10:11:14 pm »
They're a bit like fixie riders in that respect: blast past you uphill then hold you up going down the other side.

« Reply #613 on: 06 January, 2023, 10:32:13 pm »
You could buy a proper British Swifty e-scooter for £2000, 16" wheels. I'm sure they are nice enough, but it is going to be a niche product. https://swiftyscooters.com/collections/electric-scooters
Wonder if they were involved in these proposals, as they claim smaller wheels are very dangerous. https://swiftyscooters.com/blogs/journal/e-scooter-safety-and-design

« Reply #614 on: 07 January, 2023, 12:22:01 am »
People become car owners because the experience of not owning one in most places is so awful. If e-scooters make non-carring more pleasant then hopefully there’ll be some longer term effect on how long it takes before they give up and buy a car.

Expecting existing car owners to switch to e-scooters in any number seems like wishful thinking.

« Reply #615 on: 07 January, 2023, 09:41:21 am »
And there's a particular tendency to fall off in single-vehicle accidents (which would at least do something to justify the suggestion of helmets!) In the findings report, I rather liked the mention that people found scooters less effort than peddling (sic) bicycles. So, taking that wording literally, there's even hope that they could reduce the trade in stolen bikes? :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #616 on: 07 January, 2023, 12:31:45 pm »
The single-vehicle accidents thing seems comparable to that dutch research on e-bikes, where they found that the danger of e-bikes wasn't from their supposed speed, but from the way they enabled wobbly people with poor bike-handling skills and dubious luggage choices to cycle.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #617 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:58:30 pm »
New e-scooter rental scheme in Bristol will see parking spaces on roads instead of pavements

The contract to run Bristol's e-scooter scheme is up for renewal and could see major changes

A new e-scooter rental scheme in Bristol will see parking spaces move onto roads in designated spots instead of on pavements. The new rental scheme, expected to be brought in around spring or summer this year, will likely also include electric bicycles as well as e-scooters.

Swedish company Voi has operated rentable e-scooters in Bristol in a trial beginning in October 2020. But the scheme could soon be taken over by a new company, as the West of England has asked operators to bid for a long-term contract across the wider region.

Bristol City Council is planning to address some issues on “parking and rider behaviour” with the current Voi e-scooters by shifting parking spaces from virtual spots on pavements onto clearly marked areas on the road. The cabinet is due to sign off these plans on January 24.

...continues
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/new-e-scooter-rental-scheme-8042440
Apologies for linking to the Undead,which will crash your browser though not your scooter. It's not clear whether the new scheme will be in addition to or replacing Voi. But carriageway parking has to be a good move.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #618 on: 31 January, 2023, 02:59:24 pm »
E-scooters to be serviced by e-rickshaws: https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/electric-tuktuks-could-become-familiar-sight-bristol-streets/
A trial of an electric tuk-tuk used to service Voi scooters has begun in Bristol.

The zero emissions vehicle is being used to carry out regular service tasks which includes swapping batteries and maintenance.

In partnership with Biliti Electric, Voi has become the first e-scooter company in the UK to trial an all-electric tuk-tuk.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #619 on: 31 January, 2023, 05:54:31 pm »
Last time I saw one, they were using e-NV200s to service them in Middle Earth.  The tuk-tuk looks even more practical.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #620 on: 31 January, 2023, 06:02:15 pm »
What I've seen them using here, up to now, is a mixture of e-cargo bikes and ice-vans.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #621 on: 31 January, 2023, 06:04:47 pm »
There's a nice not-quite circularity to this. Assuming those e-tuks are conversions of the vehicles found all over S and SE Asia, they're quite likely made by Piaggio, better known for the Vespa...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #622 on: 20 February, 2023, 08:21:51 pm »
Good news on parking. New contracts from later this year will go to other companies, not Voi, and these other companies will mark on the pavement the area where the scooters should be left. At present this is done only through geofencing, which doesn't work so well, being neither so obvious nor so precise. And in some cases they're actually going to install physical bays on the carriageway. LAs are reluctant to allow this though, as (it was claimed) one parking space can earn up to £22k a year (despite a resident's permit costing only £48 a year).

Weird news on parking. Although the contracts are let across the combined authority, in this case WECA, each LA within the CA imposes its own conditions.

« Reply #623 on: 22 February, 2023, 08:40:05 am »
Is this national or local news? I think the parking thing is locality dependant - Voi are the ones around Oxford, and they have white paint around the parking bays, and some have actual racks that you hang them up on. (on the pavement, but baby steps)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #624 on: 22 February, 2023, 09:41:36 am »
Yes, the details are locally dependent. Voi in South Glos have paint and occasionally docks, Voi in Bristol do not. Contracts are regional, so both Bristol and S. Glos are part of the WECA (West of England Combined Authority) contract (along with a few other places). But presumably the re-letting of contracts is part of a national process.