Author Topic: Randonneurs NL brevets in the 2023 season  (Read 19992 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Randonneurs NL brevets in the 2023 season
« Reply #25 on: 15 November, 2022, 03:31:04 pm »
If you want your Dutch brevet to count for PBP qualification, it is best to enter with your correct club number, rather than a generic AUK number. ACP can get confused if the same person is trying to qualify with two different club numbers and the rider might be treated as if they were two different riders.

Assuming you are a member of a club other than AUK.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 15 November, 2022, 03:38:35 pm »
Some folk ride brevets in the UK without being joining AUK or another club but ACP isn’t set up that way. Temporary AUK membership for the duration of the brevet is the workaround in the UK but what is the Dutch option?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 15 November, 2022, 03:40:13 pm »
Some folk ride brevets in the UK without being joining AUK or another club but ACP isn’t set up that way. Temporary AUK membership for the duration of the brevet is the workaround in the UK but what is the Dutch option?

I think you pay an extra euro or so, but I'm not sure, Ivo I think this is for you in your official capacity.

J
--

« Reply #28 on: 15 November, 2022, 08:01:46 pm »

Randonneurs Netherlands is a club under the umbrella of the NTFU (Dutch Cycletouring Federation). Any member of the NTFU can enter at a reduced price. Randonneurs NL members pay even less.
Dutch riders enter the Randonneurs NL code, their local club ACP code or the generic 'Individuel Pays Bas' code. You could even enter as 'Individuel UK' if you're not an AUK member.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 15 November, 2022, 08:27:50 pm »
Which loops back round to my comment about using the same club/ club number to enter if you want to qualify for PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #30 on: 15 November, 2022, 09:43:55 pm »
Which loops back round to my comment about using the same club/ club number to enter if you want to qualify for PBP.

The drop down menu has an enormous amount of club numbers to choose from.
The ACP has become a bit less strict in using the same one, otherwise most Germans would have a lot of issues (all riders are accredited the club number of the organising club overthere).
Sticking with the same one is, however, a good way to avoid hassle (just like using the same version of your name for all your brevets)

« Reply #31 on: 28 November, 2022, 01:27:37 am »
So as someone who might be over in NL at the right time this spring for one of the rides -- what are the requirements for non-UK/EU riders?  There seemed to be something about buying insurance in the rules that I couldn't quite puzzle out the exact requirements via google translate.  (Coming from the US, but no one I know around here has ridden with the NL club, so I figured it'd be OK to ask here.)   

« Reply #32 on: 28 November, 2022, 06:06:24 am »
So as someone who might be over in NL at the right time this spring for one of the rides -- what are the requirements for non-UK/EU riders?  There seemed to be something about buying insurance in the rules that I couldn't quite puzzle out the exact requirements via google translate.  (Coming from the US, but no one I know around here has ridden with the NL club, so I figured it'd be OK to ask here.)

If you're an NTFU member, you have 2,- off.
There's a box to tick which states that you state that you have a relevant insurance (third party damage & health care insurance). Most household third party damage insurances will do as it isn't a race.
This is in case you caus damage to other participants or bystanders. (For example, you misjudge a corner and the rider behind you falls or you are a bit clumsy at a control and your bike falls through the shop window).

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #33 on: 28 November, 2022, 09:26:03 am »
If you want your Dutch brevet to count for PBP qualification, it is best to enter with your correct club number, rather than a generic AUK number. ACP can get confused if the same person is trying to qualify with two different club numbers and the rider might be treated as if they were two different riders.
or you can have AUK registered as your club for ACP purposes

on the bottom of AUK membership details page, you can select for ACP club
main club
CUK
Audax UK

This way all UK events will be with AUK as far as ACP are concerned

If you're an NTFU member, you have 2,- off.
There's a box to tick which states that you state that you have a relevant insurance (third party damage & health care insurance). Most household third party damage insurances will do as it isn't a race.
This is in case you caus damage to other participants or bystanders. (For example, you misjudge a corner and the rider behind you falls or you are a bit clumsy at a control and your bike falls through the shop window).

I'd check your travel insurance, it should include third party liability for cycling. 3rd party liability insurance for cycling is pretty cheap, as we don't tend to damage stuff or injure people.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #34 on: 28 November, 2022, 08:19:56 pm »
I'd check your travel insurance, it should include third party liability for cycling. 3rd party liability insurance for cycling is pretty cheap, as we don't tend to damage stuff or injure people.

Okay I guess my next steps are to research how to buy travel liability insurance (and specifically that doesn’t exclude organized sporting events), but it’s not something NL/randonneuring specific.  Thanks!  Hoping the timing works out to do an early spring 200k (the trip dates will be set by my spouse’s employer, not me).

« Reply #35 on: 29 November, 2022, 02:51:09 pm »
Maybe it is the case that if one joins randonneurs.nl, you also become a member of the NTFU which provides 3rd party insurance as part of the deal? Or just join NTFU as an individual. Apologies if I am mistaken.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #36 on: 29 November, 2022, 08:20:57 pm »
Maybe it is the case that if one joins randonneurs.nl, you also become a member of the NTFU which provides 3rd party insurance as part of the deal? Or just join NTFU as an individual. Apologies if I am mistaken.

Indeed, NTFU members enjoy 3rd party liability insurance during NTFU events.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 10 December, 2022, 11:18:30 am »

Waved off 55 nutters this morning in the -2°C fog.

Now trying to warm up a bit before I go back for the finish.

J
--

« Reply #38 on: 10 December, 2022, 04:21:14 pm »
I took one look at the forecast wind-chill for Saturday morning(-4) and decided
against starting. The additional fog has justified my decision. Decent turnout though!
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #39 on: 17 December, 2022, 12:20:14 pm »

Excellent, thanks, that’s cheaper than buying it separately since the travel insurance I do have doesn’t cover timed events. If anyone will be at the Jan 28 ride, hopefully see you there!  Now off to research train schedules and learn how to ask for a receipt in Dutch :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 17 December, 2022, 01:49:59 pm »

Excellent, thanks, that’s cheaper than buying it separately since the travel insurance I do have doesn’t cover timed events. If anyone will be at the Jan 28 ride, hopefully see you there!  Now off to research train schedules and learn how to ask for a receipt in Dutch :)

"Bonnetje" or "bon"

How long are you in .NL for ?

J

--

« Reply #41 on: 17 December, 2022, 03:14:34 pm »
Now off to research train schedules

Train schedules in the Netherlands are extremely simply. Between most railway stations there is a train connection every 30 minutes, running roughly from 6am to 11pm (but typically no early services on Sunday). If you want to go from say Schiedam to Utrecht, then the trains leave from platform 3 at :19 and :49 every hour, change trains in Rotterdam where you move from platform 7 to platform 14.

And no need to book tickets ahead since the price is always the same and you can't reserve seats/bike spots, but beware that you can't take your bike on the train during weekday rush hour (6:30-9:00 and 16:00-18:30)

« Reply #42 on: 17 December, 2022, 07:11:51 pm »
I now need to enter the 200k from Amsterdam on 4th March but now keeping a lookout for when entries become 'live'

Hotel and ferries now booked.

« Reply #43 on: 17 December, 2022, 08:22:39 pm »
I now need to enter the 200k from Amsterdam on 4th March but now keeping a lookout for when entries become 'live'

Hotel and ferries now booked.

Entries usually open several weeks before the event and close 2 days before the event start.

« Reply #44 on: 20 December, 2022, 05:59:51 am »
Youtube film (in English) about the Amsterdam 200:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mICa2tLp4EA

« Reply #45 on: 26 December, 2022, 11:18:53 pm »

"Bonnetje" or "bon"

How long are you in .NL for ?

J

Two weeks, with the 28th the middle of it.   Will be in the Amsterdam area.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #46 on: 03 January, 2023, 08:18:48 pm »
Me again folks.
Pulling together a number of things that have been posted:

Rotterdam to the start, there are regular services to Amsterdam Centraal, make sure you get an Intercity, or an Intercity direct train (this costs about €3 extra, but is faster). Do not take a sprinter if you can avoid it, then you're looking at a 20-30 min ride from the station in Amsterdam to the start.
Train schedules in the Netherlands are extremely simply. Between most railway stations there is a train connection every 30 minutes, running roughly from 6am to 11pm (but typically no early services on Sunday). If you want to go from say Schiedam to Utrecht, then the trains leave from platform 3 at :19 and :49 every hour, change trains in Rotterdam where you move from platform 7 to platform 14.
Don't suppose you can translate that to Rotterdam > Amsterdam for me to arrive at "BLUEY’S Coffee & Kitchen, Eef Kamerbeekstraat 182, Amsterdam on or before, let's say 9:00 am on Saturday 4th March?  And what to be aware of for the return trip assuming I'm full value and don't finish until 9:30pm also on the Saturday?
My executive function isn't up to much atm you see.

Randonneurs Netherlands is a club under the umbrella of the NTFU (Dutch Cycletouring Federation). Any member of the NTFU can enter at a reduced price. Randonneurs NL members pay even less.
Is there such a thing as temporary membership, as offered by AUK?  This would be the simplest.  However, iirc there was something about AUK insurance not working for overseas membership - no idea if there is still a problem with this, still less whether it applies inversely to Brits in NL.  Clarification welcome. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/6849578502 here's a rider from last year.
Don't seem to have access without (yet another unwanted) login.  Will that give me similar to the map on the ride page from the randonneurs.nl site? (https://www.randonneurs.nl/brevet/brm-200-amsterdam-naar-het-middelpunt-van-nederland/)

Ideally still hoping for a random example route sheet so I can get to grips with "translation to Arabella-speak" with a nice large time window to do it in!  Ideally last year's route if there is such a thing.  Though I realise this may be Not Done.

Meanwhile I will dust off my "Dutch in 3 months" course.  The catch being I've left myself only 2 months, pfft.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #47 on: 03 January, 2023, 09:01:12 pm »
Travel planner (in English) for Rotterdam CS - Amsterdam CS on March 4 For the return trip click on the arrows between destinations to switch them and change the time (note: I set it to arrival time).

I assume you already are in Rotterdam? Because from the Stenaline ferry to Rotterdam CS is about 30km and disembarkation is at 8am (and it sails at 10pm).

Randonneurs.nl don't do route sheets anymore. Last week someone showed up late at the Boekelo brevet without GPS, assuming there would be printed instructions available. No such thing... Lucky for him I was late too so he could tag along. But maybe Julia still has something on paper from the last edition, this is her turf anyway :-*

Don't bother dusting off your Dutch course, people will understand English (parsing the reply in Dunglish may take some effort though)

« Reply #48 on: 04 January, 2023, 09:04:15 pm »
Insurances have become a lot harder on the international field.
As long as you're covered via travel or home insurance (most of them don't consider audaxing to be a timed event), you can just enter with your AUK member and all is ok. You tick the box that you're insured. (after checking of course that your insurance will cover you). We don't have a temporary option though, that's a thing from the past, the NTFU had this ages ago.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #49 on: 07 January, 2023, 10:57:30 am »
Don't suppose you can translate that to Rotterdam > Amsterdam for me to arrive at "BLUEY’S Coffee & Kitchen, Eef Kamerbeekstraat 182, Amsterdam on or before, let's say 9:00 am on Saturday 4th March?  And what to be aware of for the return trip assuming I'm full value and don't finish until 9:30pm also on the Saturday?
My executive function isn't up to much atm you see.

No problem! Zed43 has already given you the train route, to get from Amsterdam Centraal to Blueys the route I'd take is this one: https://www.strava.com/routes/3046756075500777584?v2=true

Note that the ICD train that it recommends for Rotterdam centraal to Amsterdam is a "high-speed" train. This requires a supplement (I think this can be bought online). You will also need a bike ticket, this is valid for the whole day so you don't need to buy one for each journey. You can buy this via the ns website (easiest way), and you can buy it in advance. The ICD trains have a bike space at one end. Which end? Well you'll have to wait until the train comes in, then hope you're not at the wrong end and have to sprint for it...

Is there such a thing as temporary membership, as offered by AUK?  This would be the simplest.  However, iirc there was something about AUK insurance not working for overseas membership - no idea if there is still a problem with this, still less whether it applies inversely to Brits in NL.  Clarification welcome. 

Check your travel insurance, it probably covers it already.

Don't seem to have access without (yet another unwanted) login.  Will that give me similar to the map on the ride page from the randonneurs.nl site? (https://www.randonneurs.nl/brevet/brm-200-amsterdam-naar-het-middelpunt-van-nederland/)

Yeah, it'll give you the same route. Short of any road works that we don't find until two weeks out, that's the route. Note that the first two controls are photo controls (there's a rock by the side of the road for the first, and a plane on a stick for the second). Do make sure you have a camera with you.

Ideally still hoping for a random example route sheet so I can get to grips with "translation to Arabella-speak" with a nice large time window to do it in!  Ideally last year's route if there is such a thing.  Though I realise this may be Not Done.

If you look at the randoneurs NL website, you can see the sort of route sheet produced for one of the events happening before the Amsterdam ride. The Bunnik route sheet should go up in the next couple of days.

Meanwhile I will dust off my "Dutch in 3 months" course.  The catch being I've left myself only 2 months, pfft.

At that rate you'll speak better Dutch than me!

But maybe Julia still has something on paper from the last edition, this is her turf anyway :-*

My turf. Tis my route! It has it's origins in a DIY I did a few years ago using this route: https://www.strava.com/routes/13062872?v2=true But we concluded that the bit west of Utrecht on the return leg is boring, so we moved the whole thing east a bit, taking in the Veluwe. We also took out the bits where I was hunting for tiles...

J
--