Author Topic: Randonneurs NL brevets in the 2023 season  (Read 20017 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Randonneurs NL brevets in the 2023 season
« Reply #50 on: 04 February, 2023, 11:20:56 pm »

Registration for the Amsterdam BRM in March is now open!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #51 on: 06 February, 2023, 07:33:24 pm »
I have entered.
Back pedaling on the route sheet and getting acquainted with the GPX malarkey. ::-)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 06 February, 2023, 09:55:59 pm »
I have entered.
Back pedaling on the route sheet and getting acquainted with the GPX malarkey. ::-)

Which GPS unit did you go for in the end ?

J
--

« Reply #53 on: 09 February, 2023, 06:20:36 pm »
Just wanted to drop back in here to say thanks!  Had a marvelous ride, got to meet Ivo and a bunch of awesome people, and appreciated all the pointers.

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #54 on: 10 February, 2023, 04:11:26 pm »
I have entered.
Which GPS unit did you go for in the end ?
I'll have the loan of an Edge 1000 (or ecge as the anglo saxons used to spell it)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #55 on: 27 February, 2023, 07:57:00 am »
Anyone care to hazard a guess as to when the route sheet and GPX for this Saturday will be there? - nothing yet and ideally I'd like to download the GPX before I leave these sunny shores.  Not to mention print out the list of controls whilst I have access to a printer. #firstWorldProblems

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #56 on: 27 February, 2023, 11:00:53 am »
Anyone care to hazard a guess as to when the route sheet and GPX for this Saturday will be there? - nothing yet and ideally I'd like to download the GPX before I leave these sunny shores.  Not to mention print out the list of controls whilst I have access to a printer. #firstWorldProblems

I'll ask some people. It should be there by now.  Thanks for letting me know.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #57 on: 27 February, 2023, 11:27:48 am »

It should go up this evening.

J
--

« Reply #58 on: 27 February, 2023, 06:10:34 pm »
And the track for Amsterdam is available on the website.

By the way, the forecast for Saturday is great in every aspect except the direction of the wind. With NW3/4 the last 30k won't be that easy.

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #59 on: 27 February, 2023, 07:22:05 pm »
It should go up this evening.
J
safely downloaded  :thumbsup:

« Reply #60 on: 28 February, 2023, 10:03:30 pm »
I hope to do a 600km ride this year, and have entered one in mid May, but will actually be on holiday when it is on. I have some reservations about riding that kind of distance in the UK anyway as I'm somewhat traffic averse at the best of times and I only get less tolerant of it as I get more tired. Consequently, I am wondering about riding a 600 in The Netherlands, although probably as a DIY. Do randonneurs.nl have anything like the UK permanent rides that I could enter to get a preplanned route? I see that there is a 600 from Amsterdam in early June, but I won't be able to ride it, and I don't see any other scheduled events of that distance that I will be likely to ride.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #61 on: 28 February, 2023, 10:05:32 pm »
I hope to do a 600km ride this year, and have entered one in mid May, but will actually be on holiday when it is on. I have some reservations about riding that kind of distance in the UK anyway as I'm somewhat traffic averse at the best of times and I only get less tolerant of it as I get more tired. Consequently, I am wondering about riding a 600 in The Netherlands, although probably as a DIY. Do randonneurs.nl have anything like the UK permanent rides that I could enter to get a preplanned route? I see that there is a 600 from Amsterdam in early June, but I won't be able to ride it, and I don't see any other scheduled events of that distance that I will be likely to ride.

We don't have permanents in the Netherlands. But we also don't have anything to stop anyone downloading the GPX file, even if they've not signed up.

J
--

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #62 on: 28 February, 2023, 10:27:16 pm »
You can do a DIY by GPS in Forrin Parts. So nick someone else's route, enter it as a DIY by GPS. I can't recommend Belgium for cycling, esp the northern but which is just like the Netherlands. Wonderful riding
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #63 on: 28 February, 2023, 11:40:11 pm »

Ride with GPS site is full of Audax routes & rides, most public. There is a good search function by locations, distance etc. Routes & Rides can be copied to your (free) account as a route (strips timing data) and you can download the GPS in multiple formats.

Have to say the Rondom Luxembourg 1000 looks nice, if only I wasn’t 17,000kms away, damn, maybe one day?

« Reply #64 on: 01 March, 2023, 06:03:23 am »

A DIY permanent will only be valid for AUK purposes, it won't be valid for your PBP qualification.
If it's just for AUK purposes, I could provide you with 2 600k routes, both I organised in the past, some roads could be outdated though as they were last organised more than7 years ago.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #65 on: 01 March, 2023, 09:33:41 am »

Ride with GPS site is full of Audax routes & rides, most public. There is a good search function by locations, distance etc. Routes & Rides can be copied to your (free) account as a route (strips timing data) and you can download the GPS in multiple formats.

Have to say the Rondom Luxembourg 1000 looks nice, if only I wasn’t 17,000kms away, damn, maybe one day?

additionally if you link you garmin connect account to your ridewithGPS account (both free) then you can pin the route on RWGPS and it will appear (as if by magic) on your garmin device.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #66 on: 02 March, 2023, 09:44:06 pm »
A DIY permanent will only be valid for AUK purposes, it won't be valid for your PBP qualification.
If it's just for AUK purposes, I could provide you with 2 600k routes, both I organised in the past, some roads could be outdated though as they were last organised more than7 years ago.
As I don't have any intention of riding PBP there won't be any problem for me riding it as a UK DIY event. Ivo, thanks very much for the offer I may well take you up on it. Presumably there are some online route planning tools that I could use to check an older route and find alternatives where required. I have mostly used the green signposted routes with numbered junction points previously, although have also followed the red signposted routes between villages if I've had somewhere to get to more directly.
It looks like I will be over there a couple of weeks before the 600 event that starts from Amsterdam, although I don't think that would be my first choice of start/finish location. If the route sheet and gpx files are likely to be available I might enter the event to ensure that I get an up to date route and some instructions in a language that I can't read, but ride it from somewhere nearer the Eastern end when I'm over there.
Something that I have noticed is that average riding speeds tend to be a bit lower, presumably because much more is on cycle routes with the inevitable traffic lights at major junctions etc, compared to riding on the roads in the UK when even T junctions are designed so that they can be driven at 40 mph. UK routes will also sometimes take more major routes for night time sections when the lower traffic levels mean that they are generally not to bad to ride. Do Dutch routes completely ignore this kind of thing because avoiding heavily trafficked roads just isn't necessary at any time?

« Reply #67 on: 02 March, 2023, 09:47:01 pm »
My old 600 through the Mosel valley is actually designed to suit the 35hour rider best. Have the Ardennes & Eifel hilly sections during daylight, while spending the night rolling along the Mosel valley.

« Reply #68 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:31:04 am »
Do Dutch routes completely ignore this kind of thing because avoiding heavily trafficked roads just isn't necessary at any time?

It's almost a tradition that our 600s head into our neighbouring countries. The night section of my 600 in april goes through Germany for two reasons: (1) the abundance of 24/7 McD's and petrol stations compared to NL, and (2) at night I prefer quiet German roads over Dutch bicycle paths.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #69 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:37:55 am »
Do Dutch routes completely ignore this kind of thing because avoiding heavily trafficked roads just isn't necessary at any time?

It's almost a tradition that our 600s head into our neighbouring countries. The night section of my 600 in april goes through Germany for two reasons: (1) the abundance of 24/7 McD's and petrol stations compared to NL, and (2) at night I prefer quiet German roads over Dutch bicycle paths.

Also if you ride 600km in the Netherlands unless you start very far over to the west, you're gonna run out of Netherlands pretty quick :p

J
--

« Reply #70 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:38:44 am »
If you insist on staying in NL this largely flat route is still downloadable, again it may be out of date since it was last verified in 2018.
As stated earlier, finding 24hr services is a challenge in NL

https://randonneurs.nl/brevet/brm-600-merselo-nl-mooi-nederland/

Regards,

Alan

« Reply #71 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:44:01 am »

Also if you ride 600km in the Netherlands unless you start very far over to the west, you're gonna run out of Netherlands pretty quick :p

J

The 2 routes I have on file have are approx 5% of the time in the Netherlands, the rest in Belgium, Luxemburg, and depending on which route, Germany or France.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #72 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:47:19 am »

The 2 routes I have on file have are approx 5% of the time in the Netherlands, the rest in Belgium, Luxemburg, and depending on which route, Germany or France.

It's something I love about Randonneurs NL rides, the way they often immediately leave the Netherlands. The Heerlen 200 into the Maria Wald is a great example. It's a Dutch event, with about 10km of Dutch riding.

J

--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #73 on: 03 March, 2023, 12:41:28 pm »
The roads are always smoother on the other sides of the border ;) The recent Belgian BRM300 from Herentals was on Dutch soil after two blinks of your eyes, traveling all the way north to Kinderdijk to scare the Chinese tourists.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #74 on: 03 March, 2023, 12:44:06 pm »
The roads are always smoother on the other sides of the border ;) The recent Belgian BRM300 from Herentals was on Dutch soil after two blinks of your eyes, traveling all the way north to Kinderdijk to scare the Chinese tourists.

Scaring tourists being a popular sport in .NL...

Not sure about Belgium and smooth roads tho. Crossing the border is always noticeable by the change in road surface.

J
--