Author Topic: Any experts on cycle camping in Denmark here please?  (Read 4374 times)

Any experts on cycle camping in Denmark here please?
« on: 28 March, 2008, 11:18:41 pm »
Any info gratefully accepted including where to buy meths for the trangia and can I put the bike on the train in Copenhagen to get back to Esbjerg? 

Thanks in advance  8)

chris

• (aka chris)
Re: Any experts on cycle camping in Denmark here please?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 11:44:02 pm »
Don't know about meths as we use gas. The trains are very cycle friendly, the cycle compartments in the carriages have folding seats at the sides, and passengers have to give up their seat if someone with a bike gets on the train.

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:00:05 am »
I seem to recall Gus was a train driver in Denmark wasn't he, or something like that.

Perhaps try a PM from The Other Place?

C

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:09:03 am »
Gus is indeed a Danish train driver.  I've had the odd beer with him in Copenhagen  ;D

I'm sure he'd help if you PM him

« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2008, 08:49:31 am »
I seem to recall Gus was a train driver in Denmark wasn't he, or something like that.

Perhaps try a PM from The Other Place?

C

Ah yes, I just about remember Gus.   Thanks for that tip.

I 'left' the other place about a year ago.   I know somebody who might be able to pm him for me though.     

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2008, 08:50:43 am »
Thanks everyone, so far.  8)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2008, 09:25:47 am »
My Scandinavian cycle-camping experience is limited to Sweden and I used a petrol stove anyway but:
there are several other Danes in the other place, some of whom live in England now.

I think meths might be available from supermarkets or garages.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:12:17 pm »
I traveled (cycle holiday) in DK for the first time with bike last year. And never stayed at campsite as I have family scattered all over the place, even used Gus's hospitality :)

But if you get on the train you have to book a seat reservation for you and your bike, and then as other said you will have no problem traveling on trains with your bikes. Just make sure that you are outside rush hours and you will not have problems with people and the "rush" on the trains.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:56:04 am »
I traveled (cycle holiday) in DK for the first time with bike last year. And never stayed at campsite as I have family scattered all over the place, even used Gus's hospitality :)

But if you get on the train you have to book a seat reservation for you and your bike, and then as other said you will have no problem traveling on trains with your bikes. Just make sure that you are outside rush hours and you will not have problems with people and the "rush" on the trains.

Thanks for that.  I don't think I'd get up in time to travel rush hour on holiday ;D

« Reply #9 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:27:49 pm »
PM me.  We did Sweden & Denmark in 2006 camping.

Paul

« Reply #10 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:46:42 pm »
PM me.  We did Sweden & Denmark in 2006 camping.

Paul

Many thanks.  Will do / have done  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:56:16 pm »
PM'd back ;)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2008, 04:39:57 pm »
Hi Polarbear

You can buy ethanol in allmost all supermarkets. it is 1/2l light blue bottles marked
 "denatureret sprit".

Like Woollypigs say, you can take your bike on the train. If you use Intercity trains you'll normally need a reservation for the bike, and get one yourself too, otherwise you might have to stand up for 3 hours.

If you take normal commuter train between that stops  everywhere you don't need it.

I just checked the ticketprices : £6 / bike and £31 / person.

Hope this helps, if you need any other info just pm me

Gus

« Reply #13 on: 01 April, 2008, 04:56:07 pm »
Hi Polarbear

You can buy ethanol in allmost all supermarkets. it is 1/2l light blue bottles marked
 "denatureret sprit".

Like Woollypigs say, you can take your bike on the train. If you use Intercity trains you'll normally need a reservation for the bike, and get one yourself too, otherwise you might have to stand up for 3 hours.

If you take normal commuter train between that stops  everywhere you don't need it.

I just checked the ticketprices : £6 / bike and £31 / person.

Hope this helps, if you need any other info just pm me

Gus

Wow.  Fantastic.  Thank you.

If you'd been to UK much you'd probably know that standing for three hours is normal  ;D

Re: Off to Denmark tomorrow!
« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:49:05 pm »
Yippee!!!!!!!!!!

Will keep an eye out for denatured spirit and/or Rodsprit to fuel the Trangia.  Have no plan at all except need to be back for the ferry on the 3rd July.

I'll see if I can find the odd internet cafe to check up on events here.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #15 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:54:28 pm »
Have a good trip.   Denmark is on the "places to go" list,    but that's a long list  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tiger

« Reply #16 on: 19 June, 2008, 07:07:42 pm »
I did one of the 'Bike Events' tours in Denmark a few yrs ago - and we stayed at youth Hostels - Danish youth Hostels are very good indeed. (if the weather gets really bad which it is likely to do.
Don't miss the viking museum which has real live Vikings living in it.