Author Topic: Things to worry about - sewers !  (Read 836 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Things to worry about - sewers !
« on: 25 February, 2023, 05:22:39 pm »
Things to worry about !

Terry Jones was amazed and worried by the baggage  retrieval system they’ve got at Heathrow (his best work, he said !)
https://youtu.be/nXlBESlGFPE

I’m constantly amazed that gravity systems for sewage designed by the Victorians continue to work. How does all that poo and urine ‘get away’ in a flat city like Cambridge?

Apparently the Brits were so good at designing these systems British engineers were engaged in 1880s to design and build a system in Berlin.

Every year in Cardiff they build a new tower block of at least 12 storeys – as far as I know they don’t tend to block up or freeze solid in winter – it doesn’t reach the news anyway. . . .  how does it all work ! ?

Re: Things to worry about - sewers !
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2023, 05:51:50 pm »
They have pumps. The pumps in Victorian times would have been steam engine driven. There is a preserved one at Abbey pump museum, Leicester.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2023, 06:02:59 pm »
They might stab you with a little needle, or tie you up in thread.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2023, 07:05:42 pm »
I went to a talk at Cambridge Dept of Engineering - the Prof is an Italian woman
who pointed out that the Victorians built in a factor x 4 safety / future proofing
specification. But the limits are just being pushed and I think that London's new systems
are a response to that

https://ww3.rics.org/uk/en/modus/built-environment/resilient-infrastructure/super-sewer--london-s-thames-tideway-megaproject-.html

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2023, 07:11:37 pm »
IIRC foul sewers need a gradient of only 1:400.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2023, 07:46:42 pm »
Sewers freezing is almost impossible if there are regular flows, even when mounted external to a building. There are frequent discharges from toilets, sinks, showers and baths that are well above zero even during freezing conditions. Sewers are typically buried, almost always below frost level.

Sewers can be built at great depth (I inspected a sewer that was 20 metres below ground level) but typically there are pump stations at intervals that lift the flows closer to ground level where it flows under gravity until the next pump station or the treatment plant.

Minimum grades for sewers depends on the sewer diameter and flow rates/ velocity. Continuously flowing water will tend to keep ‘sediment’ mobile, even at a lower velocity. If the flow is intermittent, then you need a higher velocity to re-mobilise sediment, otherwise the sediment volume just keeps growing, once deposited.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2023, 08:19:05 pm »
There have been 2-part C5 documentary and an 'In Our Time' R4/podcast  on 'The Great Stink' in the past month. I can recommend the latter. Both covered the stink, and Bazalgette, and touched on cholera and Disraeli. Of course the net result was just to dump the waste further down the river, but the engineering to facilitate that was monumental. Shame neither programme mentioned James Newlands' similar work in Liverpool 10 years earlier. A couple of facts I found fascinating:  it wasn't until 1998 that the the practice of taking out the bulk of the solid waste on boats for dumping in the North Sea was stopped; and these days a lot of it is used  - after drying and roasting - in the manufacure of breeze blocks.