Author Topic: Dust extractor  (Read 1210 times)

Dust extractor
« on: 20 July, 2023, 10:35:40 am »
The worst dust maker in my shed is created by my Festool saw, so it seems to make sense to get a small Festool dust extractor like the CT15.

I also have tools by Makita, a thicknesser, a planer and portable circular saw, but it looks as if getting the adapters should be fairly easy.  Any advice much appreciated!

Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Dust extractor
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2023, 11:40:53 am »
No two power tools use the same dust extractor outlet.  It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2023, 03:00:47 pm »
Yes, I knew that! Bit like electronic devices except with those when at last when you find the cable with the right ends  it turns out to be dud but only hours after you put it on to charge only to find nothing has happened but if you wiggle it a bit a light comes on until you put it down when it promptly goes out. I'll buy the Festool and some duct tape.   

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2023, 03:41:38 pm »
That’s a waste of the perfect excuse to buy a 3D printer you’ll never use again.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2023, 03:56:04 pm »
If you look at RagnBone Brown and/or 10 Minute Workshop on YT you'll see they both have some adaptors that fit a multitude of tools and hoses.

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2023, 04:10:48 pm »
Thanks, I will check them out.

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2023, 10:16:32 pm »
Planer/thicknessers produce large volumes of shavings, so if you intend to use a dust extraction with your’s, you might want to consider something of volume.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2023, 07:44:58 am »
Wide-bore hose, too.  I thicknessed some cherry boards years ago and the shavings were long, straight and stiff. They repeatedly jammed my 10 cm extractor hose.  Other stock - oak, marine pine etc - wasn't a problem.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2023, 11:21:40 am »

soooo.

I'm having similar thoughts re dust management.

In short, there's two approaches. A shop van, and a dust extraction system. Broadly speaking shop vac is high pressure, low flow, and the dust extraction is low pressure, high flow. If you are running something like a planer or thicknesser, you'll want a dust extraction system that has 100mm type hoses and really needs installing in the building.

If you just want to do the sander, the circular saw, palm router etc... then a shop vac is fine. I think the festool you're looking at is a shop vac style?

You can improve the life of the filters and such on a shop vac by installing a cyclone separator system, you can buy things that attach to a 25l bucket easily enough, or there's loads to print on thingiverse.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 18 September, 2023, 07:06:41 pm »
I have a shopvac with a cyclone separator which works well for most of my tools except the table saw and thicknesser/planer. Bonus points for the big chip extractor types is that they tend to be induction motors so quieter too. They also work great for smaller tools despite a cumbersome reducers.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium