Author Topic: New commuting bike  (Read 956 times)

New commuting bike
« on: 27 July, 2023, 01:52:48 pm »
Hopefully I will be changing jobs shortly

Initially will be based around 8 miles from home and may increase to about 14 or 15 but that's all possibles at the moment

I'd like to cycle when possible and want a bike suitable for it. Basically low maintenance so hub gear, mudguards, rack mounts, drop bars ideally and I'd like dynamo hub but that's not a deal breaker

Don't want to spend huge as its meant to be a budget work horse, any suggestions. Cycle to work may be an option

Re: New commuting bike
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2023, 02:00:40 pm »
I used to have a 14 mile commute, it started out being fun, got to be a chore and I ended up resenting the way it sucked all the fun out of cycling at any other time. YMMV, if I were doing it now, I'd use an E-Bike.

rr

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2023, 02:30:50 pm »
Have a look at the decathlon range, I think there are some that meet that spec at a reasonable price.

« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2023, 02:37:19 pm »
Paul H’s  post strikes a chord with me.  I don’t think I’d go for dynohub and hub gears now, for that length of commute I’d go for efficiency and speed as the primary choices.   

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2023, 02:43:36 pm »
I was considering single speed or fixed but got a few lumps that dont fancy without gears

I have actually considered electrical assistance but price is an issue

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2023, 03:18:47 pm »
I commuted rain or shine abut 20-30km for about 3 years, 3 days per week.  My base endurance increased nicely and in nice weather i could increase the ride easily to 40km in each direction.  I always enjoyed it but I have warm showers at work, with towels provided by my employer and a costa coffee within the building.  I used generally a single speed steel hydraulic disc genesis with panniers,dynohub and an extra high power battery light for when it was really foggy/wet/dark.

I am doing more home training now so not commuting but will return this winter probably on at least one day a week.

I do not have children at home and my wife works from home and has evening meetings on the days i generally commuted.  Coming home at any old time, sitting around in smelly kit and eating a lot was not a problem.

An electric bike has all sorts of advantages though.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2023, 03:37:53 pm »
I'm glad to hear about the job TFC  :thumbsup:

This all sounds like an ideal candidate for a Genesis Day One, which can come with a hub gear. 

rr

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2023, 04:21:21 pm »
I was considering single speed or fixed but got a few lumps that dont fancy without gears

I have actually considered electrical assistance but price is an issue
I refer the honourable gentleman to this post

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2023, 04:54:57 pm »
I commuted for about 5 years, increasing my ‘loop’ as I got fitter, and was on 250km weekly commute. No special bike, an old Raleigh club, with 23mm Gatorskins( fun in the snow),with bottom bracket dynamo, then a Pearson Audax bike,  with a hub dynamo. Loved every mile, I dids, never a chore.  It was my warm up , and unwind from the job, I got work, got changed, strong coffee, and I was buzzing all day. If I ever drove in, I was asleep by lunchtime.  Hub gears suck power , don’t they?

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2023, 09:15:36 pm »
Fwiw, my last job I bought a geared bike because of hills - then promptly borked it so had to use the fixie anyhow.
It will make you fitter (or kill you)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2023, 01:52:27 pm »
Thanks for everyone's input

I was considering gears in a can for the lack of maintenance. It's a long while since I had regular opportunity to commute by bike and chains got hammered. I almost certainly should have showed them more love

Dynamo....well I love a dynamo, my main bike has one and likely to be working shifts so lights may be required mors then in a standard 9 to 5

I do obviously have the option of using my tourer to start with

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2023, 09:00:08 pm »
Wheelsets of varying price or quality can be had from Taylor Wheels if you can find the right frame. Alternatively I've built 4 dynohub wheels now over the years. No special kit required if you're prepared to be patient.

I commuted with the SA-8-speed for a few years and honestly it wasn't any lower maintenance really. You still need to love the chain and keep the gear adjustment true. And yes they are a little less efficient, but not by much and I rather liked the different fizzing and clicking from each gear.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 29 July, 2023, 07:45:39 am »
alfine 8 gears are great for commuting, almost no maintenance

my only "fancy" commuting bike was a Cotic road rat that I built up myself with Alfine 8 and a dynohub