Author Topic: New panniers - carradry, or super c?  (Read 978 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
New panniers - carradry, or super c?
« on: 26 August, 2023, 06:43:43 pm »
basically, these

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-super-c-rear-panniers-cw-csystem-fittings-black-54-litre/

or these

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-carradry-rear-panniers-grey-58-litre/

both look very good value, and ive had no issues with my Carradice rack pack. current panniers were cheap, and not really up to commuting
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: New panniers - carradry, or super c?
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2023, 07:06:30 pm »
Normally I'd say that if you want an Ortlieb, buy an actual Ortlieb, but that Carradry does look good value when you compare it to a Sport Packer.  The weak point will be the zip.

Super C, of course, is about as indestructible as bike luggage gets...

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2023, 07:24:04 pm »
Thats the thing, I dont want an ortlieb, I want a pannier.

I have amongst my current stock, ortlieb small panniers, bananananana bags for the recumbent, a Carradice rack pack for same, a tailfin rack pack because they work, alpkit bar bag, something else top tube snack pack, planet x fork bags

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2023, 07:33:23 pm »
I have the Super C panniers and they're great. Definitely the best panniers I've had, in terms of waterproofing, capacity and durability.

I used to have a Carradry bar bag. And some time later I got a Super C bar bag. I've since grown to dislike box-style bar bags in general, but to compare the two: the Carradry was heavier, looked pretty awful (IMO – grey and plasticky), but did a decent job of holding objects and kept them dry. The Super C did the same but looked a little smarter (IMO). Perhaps the major difference was the smell of the respective fabrics. I don't recall any durability problems with either, but bar bags don't get such a hard life as panniers. The map holder on top wasn't greatly useful on either, due to its size, but it sat a bit better on the Super C due to its flatter top. But you're buying panniers so that's not relevant.

So I'd say if you buy the Super Cs, they will last pretty much for ever. If you buy the Carradry, they will probably also last a long time. After a year or two you'll have forgotten the cost. Which do you prefer the look of? Or the feel of?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2023, 07:36:40 pm »
I've no experience of the Carradry's but my Super C's are 21 years old & have been well thrashed.  I see no reason why they won't last another 21 years ...   (a bit of needle work might be required to tidy them up).   

The attachment for the top clips is a bit agricultural & needs a screwdriver to adjust, so not the best if you'd be moving them between bikes often. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2023, 08:23:48 pm »
I've no experience of the Carradry's but my Super C's are 21 years old & have been well thrashed.  I see no reason why they won't last another 21 years ...   (a bit of needle work might be required to tidy them up).   

The attachment for the top clips is a bit agricultural & needs a screwdriver to adjust, so not the best if you'd be moving them between bikes often.

Thanks, mostly same rack, different bikes, using the Tailfin

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2023, 10:06:14 pm »
If you like the Carradry they can sometimes be found with different branding for a bit less money, Aquapack is one.  They're imported bags and the only manufacturing by Carradice is the fitting of their crude, though adequate, fixings system.
I have no brand loyalty, I have luggage from Carradice and Orlieb, plus Altura and Vaude. I don't know how Carradice haven't harmed their reputation with this range, put it up against the similar Ortlieb and it's inferior in every way, materials, fittings and construction. OK, it's a bit cheaper, but if that's a priority you could go to Ali Express. I don't get the idea of putting the label first, I'd choose the style of pannier I wanted, then the manufacturer doing that best, but it's not my money.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2023, 10:15:53 pm »
Non-cotton-duck Carradice products seem extremely variable (prior to my succession of excellent Primas, I had one of those expanding wedge-shaped cordura rack bags, and it was underwhelming).  It makes sense if they're badge-engineered.

« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2023, 10:27:03 pm »
I’m not the flag waving type, but if you buy the Super C’s you are supporting LANCASTRIAN workers!

(You’re not from Yorkshire are you ? )
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2023, 07:35:15 am »
I’m not the flag waving type, but if you buy the Super C’s you are supporting LANCASTRIAN workers!

The clue is in the name, I'm from Wiltshire  :P

Went with the super c's in the end

« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2023, 09:56:26 am »

I had you pegged for a Cambridgeshire man!

ElyDave

« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2023, 11:05:10 am »

I had you pegged for a Cambridgeshire man!

A West country lad, marooned in the Eastern angles