Author Topic: Presta/Schraeder?  (Read 1419 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Presta/Schraeder?
« on: 26 September, 2023, 03:21:26 pm »
I'm fitting a new wheel to a rather ancient bike. Its valve hole is Schraeder size, but the tube has a Presta valve.

Is this likely to cause any issues? If so, what can I do to lessen their likelihood?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Presta/Schraeder?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2023, 03:26:26 pm »
You can get special "jam washers", which sadly cannot be used in the middle of a Victoria sponge, but can be used "upside down" to fill the gap between Presta valve stem and Schraeder-sized hole. They come as standard with some tubes, eg Continental and (I think) Schwalbe.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2023, 03:26:39 pm »
I switched to Presta on my Brompton. The rims are drilled for Schrader, so I fitted these given that I use quite high pressures on the Brompton.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AQLDD8

If you want a couple, PM me and I'll stick them in the post.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2023, 03:52:37 pm »
Those hole adapters don't work so well on single walled wheels, as the edge just digs into the inner tune.

Some brands of Presta inner tubes come with lock nuts which have an inner flange on them, which then sits nicely inside the Schrader hole.  Possibly Continental ones, but I can't be 100% sure.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2023, 03:54:06 pm »
Ah - I hadn't heard of those. I rummaged through the nut & bolts jar and found an elongated washer with a hole the right size, which I placed under the rim tape and pushed the valve through.

Those hole adapters don't work so well on single walled wheels, as the edge just digs into the inner tune.

Some brands of Presta inner tubes come with lock nuts which have an inner flange on them, which then sits nicely inside the Schrader hole.  Possibly Continental ones, but I can't be 100% sure.

I think I have one of those. 

« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2023, 08:53:06 pm »
Or just cut a Presta-sized hole in the middle of a patch and put it over the valve.  You don't even need to glue it on.

« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2023, 11:35:22 pm »
....Some brands of Presta inner tubes come with lock nuts which have an inner flange on them....

Schwalbe

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2023, 12:45:19 am »

Schwalbe tubes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2023, 12:54:58 am »
which I placed under the rim tape

This Unit hereby endorses this product, service or sentiment.

Ostensibly it doesn't make a difference, but in practice the rim tape serves to stop the adaptor repeatedly pingfuckiting when you inevitably have to deal with a visitation in adverse conditions.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2023, 03:50:14 am »
I'm fitting a new wheel to a rather ancient bike. Its valve hole is Schraeder size, but the tube has a Presta valve.

Is this likely to cause any issues? If so, what can I do to lessen their likelihood?

Whilst yes, it is possible to bodge it at need, why would you do so by choice?

Is there a reason to not use a Schrader tube?

« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2023, 10:49:10 am »
Or just cut a Presta-sized hole in the middle of a patch and put it over the valve.  You don't even need to glue it on.
This, or cut up a bit of old inner tube, punch a hole in it and put it over the valve.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 27 September, 2023, 10:59:30 am »

Because I hadn't got one and the guy whose bike it is is strapped for cash.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 27 September, 2023, 11:24:18 am »
It's Schrader, not Schräder or Schraeder (ae being the spelling of ä when you didn't have it on your typewriter).
Mr Schrader would have pronounced it "Schrahder", not "Schrayder".

It's a rare example of the metal umlaut, intended to invoke a Teutonic, Götterdämmerung, industrial vibe, escaping 1970s album covers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 27 September, 2023, 12:42:37 pm »

I do it to minimise mucking about with pumps.  YMMV.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 27 September, 2023, 05:08:29 pm »

Schwalbe presta inner tubes come with a washer nut thingy that has the ridge for fitting in the Schrader hole if needed.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #15 on: 27 September, 2023, 10:57:08 pm »
SJS Cycles do at least two adaptors. Here's one. They are also available from other suppliers, including Amazon and eBay.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 28 September, 2023, 09:53:35 am »

My track pump has a magic head on it which doesn't care whether it's presta or schra(e)der.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 28 September, 2023, 12:03:41 pm »

My track pump has a magic head on it which doesn't care whether it's presta or schra(e)der.

Indeed.  But the Cyclaire one that gets swapped between three of my bikes (one of which has Presta-only rims) requires you to unscrew the end, prise the rubber bit out and put the thingy back in the other way round, which isn't the sort of thing that's fun in the dark when you're getting rained on.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18 on: 28 September, 2023, 01:57:34 pm »

I have 3 track pumps, including a very spangly and expensive Park Tool workshop one - all had heads that were pretty poor and failed in one way or another - replaced all 3 with this   https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/twin-head-for-floor-pumps/_/R-p-1006?mc=4413670  - simple, lever locks on to the valve securely.

« Reply #19 on: 28 September, 2023, 03:00:35 pm »
The Topeak Twinhead is also very good. When the (washer in the) head on my Silca pump failed, I bought a Topeak replacement kit that included the Twinhead and a length of tube. It's been really reliable, and the right angle means that the Schraeder side fits easily onto my Brompton. With the added length of the new tube, it also means that I can pump up a tyre at a distance of some metres, although that's not particularly useful ;D

« Reply #20 on: 28 September, 2023, 03:20:53 pm »
The magic universal ones that came with my SKS and Bontrager pumps were both mediocre-to-useless on both valve types. I've found the cheapo double holes ones work fine.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 28 September, 2023, 08:45:19 pm »

I have a Topeka Joe blow pump. And the head has Schrader oneside and presta the other and seems to work very well.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 28 September, 2023, 09:47:48 pm »

Because I hadn't got one and the guy whose bike it is is strapped for cash.
The important question surely is what sort of tube is in the other wheel? And what sort of pump (if any) does he have?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 28 September, 2023, 10:07:00 pm »
I think he has a pump and has been surviving on Presta valves since I gave him the bike - which is quite a several of years ago. Although he always brings it to me for maintenance.