Author Topic: New bike for Audax from Halfords.  (Read 4951 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Reply #75 on: 17 May, 2024, 02:10:18 pm »
There can be an aura of "this is a sign of a real cyclist" around clipless pedals, but really, not everyone gets on with them and they are definitely not compulsory. Though also worth remembering there are numerous different types, which release in different ways. Probably not worth getting into the ones you can't also walk in unless you're racing (but that's just my opinion).

Just caught this thread. What a good one it is! There's only one thing missing...

...what roadside flotsam and jetsam has BP found so far while out riding with Delidroid?

This is a most unusual request. I'm one who usually returns home with pockets full of found objects.
we found nothing, but we stopped at the back of Rochester Castle so Blodwyn could thump his saddlebag because the squeaking noise was drawing the attention of the local tourists.
It's just a sort of forum tradition that BP finds surprising and/or valuable objects lost at the roadside on every ride.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #76 on: 17 May, 2024, 04:17:16 pm »

Having swapped your tyres, did your avg speed on the second Audax vastly improve?

Yes.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #77 on: 17 May, 2024, 04:58:25 pm »
There can be an aura of "this is a sign of a real cyclist" around clipless pedals, but really, not everyone gets on with them and they are definitely not compulsory. Though also worth remembering there are numerous different types, which release in different ways. Probably not worth getting into the ones you can't also walk in unless you're racing (but that's just my opinion).

Just caught this thread. What a good one it is! There's only one thing missing...

...what roadside flotsam and jetsam has BP found so far while out riding with Delidroid?

This is a most unusual request. I'm one who usually returns home with pockets full of found objects.
we found nothing, but we stopped at the back of Rochester Castle so Blodwyn could thump his saddlebag because the squeaking noise was drawing the attention of the local tourists.
It's just a sort of forum tradition that BP finds surprising and/or valuable objects lost at the roadside on every ride.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53164.0   I can't believe its been going since 2011, no wonder I've accumulated so much crap!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #78 on: 17 May, 2024, 08:33:58 pm »
Out of interest Delidroid, what pressure do you run the 650b Zeppelins at?

« Reply #79 on: 18 May, 2024, 08:01:03 am »
Out of interest Delidroid, what pressure do you run the 650b Zeppelins at?
Hello.
my original tyre pressures were 45 and 55 psi for the first ride. Riding on the canal towpath nearly knocked my teeth out.
On the second ride I used 35 and 45 psi. Next time I'm going to use the tyres from my old bike which are Schwalbe Land cruiser plus. I run them at 35 and 45 psi.
I have never managed to work out the perfect pressure
they're big 50 mm wide and heavy but have a good tread pattern.

The WTB thickslick tyres live in the back of the shed because I don't really trust them.
I bought them because they were in a sale at £8 each and I thought I could ride at 50 MPH on the flat.
I've never used them in the wet. You suggested I fit narrower tyres and I have been looking for some but most ones in 650B (or 27.5") are MTB, gravel design and
are big volume. I might start a separate thread about tyre pressures. (I bet nobody has ever done that topic before).

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #80 on: 18 May, 2024, 08:49:49 am »
As said ^, I’m pretty sure your bike will accommodate 700c wheels and sets of 700 disc wheels with QR are plenty full s/h, and quite cheap. If you want to try 700, I have a spare set , with discs, and probably some tyres, you could borrow to try it out. If you are getting N+1, it’s not worth spending a lot on this bike. I don’t use them any more. Anyway, about to get on ferry, for Belgium.

« Reply #81 on: 18 May, 2024, 10:04:09 am »
As said ^, I’m pretty sure your bike will accommodate 700c wheels and sets of 700 disc wheels with QR are plenty full s/h, and quite cheap. If you want to try 700, I have a spare set , with discs, and probably some tyres, you could borrow to try it out. If you are getting N+1, it’s not worth spending a lot on this bike. I don’t use them any more. Anyway, about to get on ferry, for Belgium.

Yes please. I have some tyres I can rob from the fixie.
I have my heart set on buying a Spa cycles Elan ultimately. the problem with cheap bikes is upgrading them costs more and more.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #82 on: 18 May, 2024, 10:41:05 am »
Ok, back home Tues eve.

Ps ,   I don’t think you’ll find them anymore comfortable thobut.

« Reply #83 on: 18 May, 2024, 11:02:31 am »
For the larger rider, of which I'm one, I'm of the opinion that larger tyres are an advantage. Given that, I'm skeptical that there's a significant difference between 650B and 700c wheels.  I have bikes with both, 700c with 38mm tyres and 650B with 47mm, they're different bikes in several ways so not a direct comparison, but the time difference over 200km will be minutes not hours. 
When I was 25kg lighter and riding a lighter bike with 28mm tyres, I might have been an hour faster round a 200, though it's impossible to know how much of that is attributable to the tyres.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #84 on: 18 May, 2024, 11:14:48 am »
I did experiment with 650b on Olive, but used GB Hetres tyres, 42mm, and they were superb, very light weight, supple and fast, BUT, they are very spendy, and not really suited to our flint strewn roads, as they are not that P* proof. Defo more comfy tho.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #85 on: 18 May, 2024, 01:32:36 pm »
I do not have 650B wheels

I usually run 30mm Schwalbe G1 Speeds as they are very fast and work well with tubeless

I note that there is a 40mm 650B Schwalbe G1 Speed, which I would imagine goes like a rocket

Apparently there is a 28mm 650B Schwalbe Pro One if you want something faster than that

On the cheap pile there is the Vittoria Randonneur.  I haven't tried this specific tyre but I like the similar "Adventure" tyre

Note that hipsters think that 650B tyres are better for randonneurs

« Reply #86 on: 18 May, 2024, 03:32:17 pm »
Hello.
Thank you all for the advice. On another thread, Sergeant Pluck and Paul H were explaining tyre pressures and There's a calculator and an app
which I've found useful. I'll try the tyres that I have first for a while.
I came off once. I was going round a roundabout on a wet day, a car driver looked at me and pulled out. the vee brakes worked too well and I cleaned his door with my hair.
I won't repeat what I said to Him. It was bad enough to make a Sailor blush.

Blodwyn loves to disappear down alleyways and farm tracks occasionally. It's great fun but a couple of times it's taken me twenty minutes
to get off the bike because my bum won't let go of the saddle. One occasion I had both wheels skidding through a wet mud track but my Guardian Angel
looked after me that day. I'm looking at gravel tyres like the WTB  Byway tyre which has a smooth centre and knobs on the sides.

I've got something else to agonise over now.