Author Topic: Tinfoil hat today?  (Read 1274 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Tinfoil hat today?
« on: 11 May, 2024, 06:18:02 am »
Should we wear these, with this huge solar storm about?
It is simpler than it looks.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Tinfoil hat today?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2024, 07:23:59 am »
Every day should be a tinfoil hat day!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2024, 07:39:57 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2024, 08:27:05 am »
Look out for triffids..
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:06:05 am »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

jwo

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:38:05 am »
Did anyone get any good aurora sightings last night? Annoyed I missed them as they were as far south as London at least.

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:55:40 am »
Did anyone get any good aurora sightings last night? Annoyed I missed them as they were as far south as London at least.

I was sending riders off at 2am this morning. One of them had superb photos from the top of the hill.  He did say the camera had improved on the actual view. 

I remember an amazing spectacle, a distant view of Valhalla, in Finland some years ago.

« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2024, 10:26:42 am »
I was editing photos last night and missed that this was even happening :(  - but I've seen nice pictures from East Sussex today.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2024, 10:44:49 am »
I was oblivious to the possibility which is annoying. I’ve seen pictures on Facebook from my friends and family in places as far apart as Aberdeen and Ipswich.

So I’m doubly annoyed at being unaware of the possibility, but maybe not as cross as my S-in-L who spent a sizeable sum of money and time on a cruise* to the Northern Norway fiords  earlier this year to not seen the northern lights only to see the same last night from her garden In ‘Skelmanthorpe  ;D

*There is a clause in the contract for the cruise she went allowing her to free repeats until a successful sighting. However, she had already said that it wasn’t a particularly pleasant cruise and she was unlikely to be going back.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2024, 11:07:45 am »
No. :facepalm: Saw plenty of nice photos all over the internet this morning (and annoyingly, from my street in the local WhatsApp group).

Hoping there might be another chance tonight, but given my luck it'll be cloudy.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2024, 01:42:25 pm »
No, I went out on slug patrol around 10:45 or so and it sounds like it started just after. My daughter texted me at 11:45 to say she'd seen it.

If I catch them tonight that will be my first time on home soil
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2024, 02:31:00 pm »

My Facebook and Twitter/X feeds are saturated with images, from all over the UK.

jiberjaber otp (Jason Burns) has images, I shared an Instagram pic from Richmond Bridge, my cousin’s wife posted from the men’s bathing pond on Hampstead Heath.

It was great for social media and most of the best pics originated neither from the North, nor from astronomers.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2024, 07:54:51 pm »
Mr von Brandenburg shared some good pics (not his) from Hastings and you get your feet wet if you go much further south.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2024, 08:47:48 pm »
I was on dad’s taxi duty at 11pm last night and on the way home both my son and I noticed a purple / red hue come over the sky down here in Essex.  By the time we got home at 11:30, we had the greens and swirling lights too, although it wasn’t what I would call vivid to the naked eye.  My lad put his phone on an upstairs window ledge with a 3 second exposure setting and got some very nice shots, only spoiled by the neighbouring houses in the foreground.  I have never seen the northern lights before.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 11 May, 2024, 08:54:16 pm »
Some friends of mine who live in Utah saw the display, and that's as far south as I've heard.

My sister saw them clearly, and photographed them, from her bedroom window. She lives about 200 yards from me, so if I'd been aware, I would have seen them.

I shall be driving out to Barling tonight at about 10pm in the vain hope that there will be a repeat.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 11 May, 2024, 08:57:50 pm »
There are reports of Aurora Australis only 21 degrees south of the Equator, ie in the Tropics, in Australia!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:19:14 pm »
I got some in leafy RH12. Handheld iPhone pointed at the streaky looking bit of sky. Phone cameras see colours better than the MkI eyeball. I'll post some up tomorrow.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 11 May, 2024, 11:52:57 pm »
Jan and I went to our go-to dark spot for Interesting Astronomical Events and it was bloody crowded! And all we saw was the aurora buggerallis.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2024, 12:19:26 am »
I’ve got some grabbed photos, but have been busy. Will try to post tomorrow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 12 May, 2024, 12:24:17 am »
Oh, we did see a badger crossing the road less than a mile from home.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2024, 12:58:57 am »
The Guinness Book of Records used to claim there had been a sighting in Singapore in 1909.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2024, 08:09:49 am »
The Guinness Book of Records used to claim there had been a sighting in Singapore in 1909.

Of a badger?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22 on: 12 May, 2024, 09:28:03 am »

Of a badger?
ona bike!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #23 on: 12 May, 2024, 09:55:23 am »
Another Aurora Buggerallis experience.

Read that it might be visible again last night if you got high up somewhere dark, so I though I'd try out towards the N. York Moors.  So I got on the bike and set off.  To begin with the crescent moon was well visible, but around Crayke things were getting a bit cloudy. I carried on and above Oulston could see an orange light in the sky. This vanished when I'd travelled down into Coxwold so I pressed on nearly as far as Kilburn and turned around.  Above Coxwold the glow had reappeared so I took a picture or two and pushed on thinking maybe I had seen the Northern Lights!  When I got to Newburgh Priory my illusion was shattered by the sound of loud cacophonic music.  Clearly there was a gig and light was sporadically being projected onto the thin clouds above.  Even so the orange glow made a dramatic picture on my iPhone and I'm sure I could convince people it was the real deal!
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 12 May, 2024, 11:00:45 am »
Saw some good photos taken locally but... I was asleep. And they did say the naked-eye view was nothing like as good as the camera took.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.