Author Topic: Tipping builders  (Read 593 times)

Tipping builders
« on: 14 May, 2024, 05:49:18 pm »
We are having our bathroom done. Small firm, there’s the business owner / designer who does all the planning, quotes, ordering as well as some of the work. They do maybe two three jobs at a time and the head man shuttles between them and gets more hands-on as the projects near completion. An electrician will come in when it’s ready for their bits, etc. etc. The bulk of the work here, including all the initial donkey work that a full bare brick fresh start entails, has been done by one guy, who has been a pleasure to have around.

I am thinking a tip is in order for that person. I think I am probably paying about £300 a day for labour. The job will take 3 to 4 weeks in total. What would be considered an appropriate amount?

Re: Tipping builders
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2024, 05:57:32 pm »
Your man is unlikely to be getting anywhere near the ~£300.00 per day you are paying.
If you are happy with his work I'd suggest a ton.

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2024, 09:44:01 pm »
Cheers Jurek.

Most bathroom installation firms, in the various quotes I obtained, seem to charge the customer about £1k per week per fitter. Presumably they are taking some of that, and of course the fitter will be taxed on the remainder. That wouldn’t go too far in London.

Tip wise, I was thinking along the lines of half a day’s pay, or half a day’s worth of what I am paying per day, £150, but wasn’t sure if that was a bit tight of me.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2024, 01:32:53 pm »
He's probably on £200 a day if he's lucky.

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2024, 01:15:18 pm »
Wow , only ever had £ 20.00 extra on the Cheque , A Bible and a gift voucher for " the bicycle repair man " . I normally think a cup off tea ,bit of cake and a thank you is enough . £ 160.00 per day  8 plus hour day , Time served bricklayer , over forty years experience
Its More Fun With Three .