Author Topic: Buying a new Mac  (Read 646 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Buying a new Mac
« on: 16 May, 2024, 09:00:47 pm »
As I mentioned elsewhere, a few days ago I was a victim of some bad driving followed by the driver coming after me for a second attempt. I've been discussing the possibility of cycling with a camera on my bars. I have one, but I stopped using it for two reasons: firstly, I don't want it just as a security device, I want to make videos about cycling in Southend with it; and secondly, my Mac Mini is 10 years old and it's far too slow for processing videos. What takes Jan's 5 minutes takes mine an hour.

Jan is very much in favour of me cycling with a camera, and also in favour of me buying another computer. It's going to be a Mac, either a Macbook or Mini, it's going to have upgrades in terms of memory and disc size, and I'm wondering about video editing software. For £299 I can get Final Cut Pro. In the past, I've tried using da Vinci, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Even when I watched videos about editing videos, it didn't help. So many of these "instructional" videos are made by (usually USAnian) guys who haven't got a clue how to put information across in a comprehensible form.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Buying a new Mac
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2024, 09:07:16 pm »
If you're happy with a desktop a silicon Mac Mini could be a great option.  It would blow the socks off your old Intel mini in terms of processing power.

For video editing, compilation and slideshows I've been using FotoMagico for years.  Not as versatile as FCP but very quick and intuitive way of getting things done - https://fotomagico.com  (EDIT: actually just seen that they only do "rental" now  :hand:)
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2024, 09:50:29 pm »
I've just discovered that there's something called a Mac Studio. These seem to start with a massive capability, and bumping up the power of an M2 Pro Mac Mini takes it up to a similar price to the Studio...

Decisions, decisions.

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2024, 10:05:48 pm »
I've just discovered that there's something called a Mac Studio. These seem to start with a massive capability, and bumping up the power of an M2 Pro Mac Mini takes it up to a similar price to the Studio...

Decisions, decisions.

I was faced with the same question.  In the end I went for the Studio - I wanted the extra ports (I run a 3-display array), and as you say if you bump up the spec of a mini to the studio equivalent it ends up being more or less the same price.

It all depends on your intended use.  I use the Studio for music production and I am mighty impressed with it so far.  It's a shame about Apple's price gouging on RAM & SSD - bastards  ;D  I've got several external storage devices plugged in.  I also have mine sitting on a matching 3rd-party dock which contains a 2GB SSD and has several more ports - very handy.

Whatever you decide I think you'll be happy.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2024, 10:14:25 pm »
An ordinary M-series Mac Mini or MacBook Air and iMovie will be far more than enough unless you have a desperate hankering to donate money to Tim Cook.

Make sure you get at least 16 GB of RAM.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2024, 07:28:55 pm »
I opted for M2 chip with 24mb ram and 2tb ssd. My old and new machines are currently getting to know each other, and have been doing by Ethernet cable since about 1.30. Still 2 hours to go.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2024, 09:43:05 pm »
And now I come to try to set it up and I discover that neither of my monitor cables will fit. The 14-y-o machine has mini-display ports. The new one has USB-C slots.

I think this is what I need:

Amazon link

Can the panel please confirm that this is just the sort of thing I need?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2024, 09:53:35 pm »
And now I come to try to set it up and I discover that neither of my monitor cables will fit. The 14-y-o machine has mini-display ports. The new one has USB-C slots.

I think this is what I need:

Amazon link

Can the panel please confirm that this is just the sort of thing I need?
Yup, should work. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/102477 Either one like that, or MDP to HDMI (which would leave the Thunderbolt port free for something else).

« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2024, 10:01:29 pm »
An alternative is to buy a usb-c to display port monitor cable to replace the existing monitor cable. It would be much the same price as an adaptor and is marginally neater.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2024, 10:06:42 pm »
I've ordered the adaptors now. My monitors are of different vintages and have different cables plugged into them. It's simpler for me just to use the existing cables, which have identical plugs at the computer end. It also gets rid of the need to keep yet another cable which in years to come I will think "What the hell did that do?" and not throw it away because I simply can't remember, and it might come in useful one day. See redundant phone cables passim.