Author Topic: Kodak Brownie Reflex  (Read 3908 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Kodak Brownie Reflex
« on: 29 December, 2008, 09:09:16 am »

Funny how one thing runs onto another. I'd bought my dad a Hole-On Ex camera for his Christmas, and was considering getting one for myself. Until I remembered being donated a couple of cameras by my mum a year or so back.

I'd intended on trying to sell them, but couldn't find a buyer. The Coronet Twelve-20 is a little battered around the edges, but this just looks great. A Kodak Brownie Reflex, getting on for 60 years old. A simple, easy-to-use pinhole camera that was pretty popular in its day. Top down viewfinder, it was apparently great for street photography.

So now I just need to source some 127 B&W film and work out how to develop it...

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Kodak Brownie Reflex
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2008, 09:20:56 am »
It's a whole different way of looking at things.  I used a folding Zeiss Ikonta 120 for a while.  I felt a bit lost without a TTL or rangefinder focus, but I'd been using Minox 35s for a while, and was used to guessing distances and using depth of field to ensure the picture wasn't lost.

No integrated meter meant I had to take readings when I could, and adjust as I felt the light changed, checking the levels again at the next chance, and comparing.  I learned a lot about light levels from doing that.

The cost of film and the inconvenience of having to change after 16 shots (this was a 6x4.5) changed me from being a snapshooter to a more considered photographer, and some of my pictures turned out looking a bit stagey, but I found it was possible to let go the fleeting images I had to miss, and look for a photo that captured something distinctive about the subject/environment.

Hope you enjoy it.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2008, 09:58:52 am »

So now I just need to source some 127 B&W film and work out how to develop it...

An interesting problem. The first is much trickier than the latter (I can lend you a dev tank and show you how to use it..)

For the former, try Retro Photographic for some EFKE films.

When you've go some, give me a bell and I'll bring the dev stuff down to Embra.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:20:49 am »
This almost inspires me to dig out the large format camera...

..d

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:26:42 am »
Oh - I forgot to mention that the TLR style makes a difference to your photography, too.

I had a few TLRs - first a Mamiya C220, which was cool, but big.  Later, I had a Rolleicord, and (my favourite) an MPP Microcord.

Holding the camera lower gives a different point of view, and the act of composing a scene on the ground glass screen is an enchanting experience.

To tell the truth, I never really came to terms with the square format, but it can make for very striking images, particularly if you are creative with your use of symmetry & framing.  They won't ever be particularly dynamic, but there is something about the square format that draws people in to look more closely.  My Mamiya I mainly used for still life and photomontage.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:08:38 pm »
mm.. I had a lubitel TLR for a bit which was entertaining.  Might try and scan in some old negatives, if I can find them..

David Martin

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:21:20 pm »
mm.. I had a lubitel TLR for a bit which was entertaining.  Might try and scan in some old negatives, if I can find them..

I still have one but the two lenses are now out of sync after some bodgery.

:o

Pics were fine up to 12" square, then they started to look somewhat less distinct.

..d

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2008, 09:23:05 am »

An interesting problem. The first is much trickier than the latter (I can lend you a dev tank and show you how to use it..)

For the former, try Retro Photographic for some EFKE films.

When you've go some, give me a bell and I'll bring the dev stuff down to Embra.

..d

Excellent! Got a source for the film (might be the same place you've linked to).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2008, 09:44:59 am »
Brilliant!

Actually, IIRC (it's hazy and a long time ago), 127 is the same film width as 120/620, but on a different spool design, so people have wound their own...
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2008, 11:07:00 am »
No it's not.

120/220/620 is a little over 6cm wide, 127 is a little over 4cm wide.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2008, 11:20:17 am »
OK.  Thanks.  I'm thinking about summat else.  Maybe it was that 620 is a different spool size. :-[
Getting there...

Zipperhead

« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2008, 12:21:21 pm »
Yes, 120 can be respooled onto 620 spools.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #12 on: 16 January, 2009, 10:24:12 am »
Got the 127 film in the post yesterday, so today I left the dSLR at home and will be wandering about with the little leather box at lunchtime making me look like I'm carrying a mini gas mask...  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 16 January, 2009, 10:25:23 am »
*fetches popcorn & waits excitedly for results*
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 16 January, 2009, 10:30:44 am »
*has another think*

Is a 126 cartridge a 127 film?  Butterfly has a couple of 126s that we'd like to develop.  Of course, they're old & will be degraded, but I couldn't find anywhere that would d&p.

I remembered that the spool for my dev tank (which I no longer have, and with which I only did B&W) could be set for 120 or 136, with one position in between, which I think was for 127...
Getting there...

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2009, 10:34:18 am »
Found a load of places online that would do it, but it's expensive to get developed by a third party. And can be a long wait, it seems to be guys in their sheds that do it...

David has offered the use of a developing tank he has, and if that works (i.e. the camera works) I'll have a think about getting one of my own (so you might be eating popcorn for a while till I get this roll developed). And with one of my own I might grab myself a film SLR that I can use my current lenses with.

n+1 appears to apply to cameras as well...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2009, 10:39:28 am »
n+1 appears to apply to cameras as well...

*thinks of hours spent in Jessops Classic Photographica and Charles Eagles*

:-[

You know it does.
Getting there...

Zipperhead

« Reply #17 on: 16 January, 2009, 02:26:44 pm »
Is a 126 cartridge a 127 film?  Butterfly has a couple of 126s that we'd like to develop.  Of course, they're old & will be degraded, but I couldn't find anywhere that would d&p.

It appears not

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 16 January, 2009, 02:46:06 pm »
Tee hee - wrong again!  I'm really making a habit of this.

But it is the same size as 35mm?  Helpful...
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #19 on: 10 March, 2009, 09:05:36 am »
Well, I met Anth at waverley this morning and handed over a bunch of B&W dev kit. So we should see some results soon...

..d