Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874797 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2175 on: 09 May, 2012, 03:34:12 pm »

You should not be buying such items at all such waste.....tut....

Why ?

I think you're supposed to be knitting it yourself from cat hair.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2176 on: 09 May, 2012, 10:05:47 pm »
To ensure maximum warmth and arse-comfort in upcoming rides, I've splurged on some Assos.

Quiet at the back!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2177 on: 09 May, 2012, 10:10:11 pm »
A shed load of bars, stems and other assorted parts.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #2178 on: 09 May, 2012, 10:10:26 pm »
Shimano Altus RD-M310 rear deraileur for older son's Islabike Luarth 700 after younger son, desperate to see if he had grown into it yet, fell over on the chain side.  ::-)

Plus a Park CT-5 compact chain tool 'cos after much searching I couldn't find my old chain tool.  :facepalm:

Plus, after endless dithering, a decent  high pressure mini pump: Crank Brotherspoer pump with pressure gauge. It works satisfactorily but I've yet to compare its gauge readings with my Blackburn track pump...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2179 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:38:43 pm »
Some Endura Humvees, and some photochromic glasses :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2180 on: 10 May, 2012, 09:29:09 am »
Another set of Midge bars for OrangeGina - the old Genesis bars will be appearing in a FTGH thread near you fairly shortly.
Also, a new headset for the Old Yella' because I've decided I'm going to fit the carbon 'cross forks I've had kicking around.
Finally, some baked soot headset spacers for same :)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2181 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:27:51 pm »
A new tub of chamois creme & a new waterproof jacket for the BCM  ;)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #2182 on: 10 May, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »
A spare gear and brake cable (tandem length).
A timing chain and normal chain.
An in-line gear cable barrel adjuster to replace the carp one on the Orbit that re-indexes the front derailleur all by itself without our permission during rides.

Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2183 on: 11 May, 2012, 07:44:19 pm »
Specialized bodygeometry lock on grips, bottle holder +bottle, and some padded gloves.
This cycling malarkey is so expensive :-)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2184 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:52:08 pm »
A 16T fixed sprocket and matching lockring from Charlie the Bikemonger - have decided to 'reuse' the Goldtec-hubbed wheel that's been in the shed for far longer than I care to think about - means I'll have double-fixed and double-free wheels for Old Yella :)

« Reply #2185 on: 12 May, 2012, 08:26:42 pm »
Two Marathon +'s for the green Brompton. Fitting new dynamo front wheels to both our Bromptons the red one already has M+ but when I removed the front tyre, a Brompton Green Label, I was very disappointed  at just how flimsy they felt in comparison to a M+. Given how much faffing is involved with any Brompton wheel removal I thought it best.

tiermat

« Reply #2186 on: 14 May, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »
At the weekend I purchased 2 (whisper it) Brooks B17s.

Today I have received the 105 groupset I paid for last week and I have just ordered 12 rolls of bar tape.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #2187 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »
12?!?!?!?!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

tiermat

« Reply #2188 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:02:14 pm »
yup, need to retape the bars on a number of the stable, and have a few rolls spare (one bike has two layers).  Mromally I would go for Bontrager tape, but this time I am giving the cheap HK/Chinese stuff a punt, if it doesn't work out it's only £2 a roll!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2189 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »
New tyres, Tiagra chainset, rear mech and cassette for MrsC's Spesh Dolce; Muc-Off and a chain cleaner.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2190 on: 14 May, 2012, 09:40:55 pm »
Being a sucker for a bike in distress I have bought a whole Carrera Subway 8.

Nexus 8 speed rear hub came as an unassembled Meccano kit. All is not lost, there's a spare wheel in the shed . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2191 on: 14 May, 2012, 10:39:14 pm »
Brooks Proofide to spruce up the 30 yo & neglected Professional, and (possibly) help break in a new Team Pro in the near future,  if/when I can decide which version to get

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2192 on: 14 May, 2012, 11:15:44 pm »
A Tubus Tara rack, some 32mm sport contacts and a 11-32 cassette from Roseversand - time to put the tourer in touring mode :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2193 on: 15 May, 2012, 07:58:16 pm »
Following the discovery of some frayed strands on my brake cables ( presenting complaint: binding brakes as the calipers were not strong enough to properly open after being applied ), I have taken delivery of a complete cable set, both brake and shifters.   And bar tape, because that needs changing in the cable-fettling.

Slightly nervous since I'll need to do the work tomorrow night, and that's a shifter re-indexing fettle alarmingly close to a 600k ride.

jimbhoy

« Reply #2194 on: 15 May, 2012, 08:01:26 pm »
A new Busch & Muller front dynamo light, and waiting on a new front wheel to make it work, built by Big Al of course.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2195 on: 17 May, 2012, 10:18:54 pm »
not exactly cycling stuff, but convenient tool for reading cycling forums and sites - ipad3 (still can't decide if it's an improvement on ipad2; thicker and heavier, but with better screen)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2196 on: 18 May, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »
Tektro cr720 brakes.
Swissstop Viking GHP pads.

Hopefully the braking will be better than the Shimano STX brakes they will replace. 

« Reply #2197 on: 18 May, 2012, 03:32:45 pm »
105 rear mech, new 9sp. chain and cassette.
Highonbikes-Southport via e-bay. Used them before and had good value.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2198 on: 18 May, 2012, 03:38:57 pm »
not exactly cycling stuff, but convenient tool for reading cycling forums and sites - ipad3 (still can't decide if it's an improvement on ipad2; thicker and heavier, but with better screen)
Hmm.
Would you do me a favour and download the Electric Bike Magazine app from the App Store (it's a freebie)?
I'd be interested to know what it looks like on an iPad 3.

fuzzy

« Reply #2199 on: 18 May, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »

I don't know if it was an iPad but, on the news last night, there was footage of the potential new owner of Rangers leaving Hamden Park after talks with the Scottish FA. One of the journos trying to listen in to his comments was holding a folder with a tablet in it, thrust out towards the poor guy. It looks bad enough getting a face full of microphones and little hand held digital recorders when you are newsworthy, the prospect of a face full of iPads and their ilk must be hell :hand: