Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874836 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2725 on: 23 November, 2012, 07:26:33 am »
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2726 on: 25 November, 2012, 11:33:07 am »
This morning, 1* Magellan 710 + 2* handlebar mounts for same.

I then ordered 4* Crank Brothers multitools (I seem to be adept at losing mine, so thought having a few spare will keep the multi-tool faeries away :) )

Maybe I should ask Mrs T to block access to bike parts web sites when she goes away for the day? :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2727 on: 25 November, 2012, 03:28:30 pm »
Yesterday, a Bontrager skull cap for MrsLurker.  Tested today and found to be a, "good idea".
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2728 on: 25 November, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »
A hub gear oil change kit for my Alfine 11 speed hub from eBay. It's just about done the 1000 miles where a first oil change is needed.
Now all I need to do is work out how to do it. I need to look for Auntie Helen's thread for pictures of the method  :D
Arse ... I was giving the 1x1 a service after its most recent mudbath and it was nagging at the back of my mind that there was something else that needed doing but I was damned if I could remember it at the time. Now I know ...

... and it also occurs to me that the 8-speed on the orange Genesis could do with re-dunking as well.

Canned gear servicing kits - something else to add to the shopping list for pay day

:facepalm:

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2729 on: 25 November, 2012, 04:58:17 pm »
More bits for the Hanlon project: Campag brake calipers and levers, double chainset, a twin bolt seatpost and a Shimano 6 speed freewheel. I just need to sort out rims, spokes, tyres, cables and chain, most of which should be modern off the shelf parts, and I should be in business.

Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2730 on: 25 November, 2012, 05:40:51 pm »
Brake fluid to bleed the rear brakes on my Cannondale. Just need a bleed kit for it.

G

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2731 on: 25 November, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »
A couple of Smart rack mounts, bottle cages for the Kona Shopper, another SQR block for the Pompino.

Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2732 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:03:17 pm »
Purchased replacement bite valves for my camelbak bottles after losing two on the same night!

**** me, they're expensive!

They do however come in packs of two with useless replacement straws/tubes.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2733 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »
Brake and gear cables for Hanlon project.

« Reply #2734 on: 27 November, 2012, 02:19:57 pm »
Set of stupidly cheap Decathlon mudguards for my old MTB.

The old rear mudguard (clamps on seatpost) is rack-unfriendly, & I recently put a rack on the bike for winter rides on crappy country lanes when I don't want to take the Enigma out.  OK until Sunday, when my bum got wet & uncomfortable.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2735 on: 28 November, 2012, 09:02:20 am »
Set of stupidly cheap Decathlon mudguards for my old MTB. ...

Out of curiosity, how stupidly cheap?  When I wanted some cheap ones for Vince, the best I could do was a pair of relatively cheap SKS ones from (Wiggle iirc), which were about £13 a pair.  The price of mudguards is fairly ridiculous considering how cheap to manufacture there are (even compared to other components we build bikes out of).  I'm guessing their bulk to store and transport has a noticeable impact on pricing.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2736 on: 28 November, 2012, 09:44:33 am »
A pair of Walz caps, including a replacement for one I lost while hauling my fully-laden tourer down and up the stairs of the Greenwich foot tunnel back in July.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2737 on: 28 November, 2012, 03:33:57 pm »
26"x1.75" folding ribmos

I was actually after folding paselas in same size, but they were £35 + postage, wereas the ribmos could be had for £27 & free postage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2738 on: 28 November, 2012, 06:49:43 pm »
One of these Ishihara Bike t-shirts

I can't see the bike.  I only know it's there because I decomposed the image to its RGB channels in an image editor, then I could see the bike as a lighter grey in the red channel. 

I shall now perform a public service by giving people colourblindness tests  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2739 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:21:27 pm »
One of these Ishihara Bike t-shirts

Ooh, nice.

I can see it clearly with DanKam.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2740 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:31:59 pm »
I'm obviously not colourblind as I can see it clearly
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2741 on: 28 November, 2012, 09:30:30 pm »
I'm obviously not colourblind as I can see it clearly

I obviously do not have that form of colourblindness as I can see it clearly. In the full test they have some where there is nothing to catch out those who just lie.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2742 on: 28 November, 2012, 09:39:38 pm »
My pair of 66% off gloves arrived from Evans online shop.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2743 on: 29 November, 2012, 08:23:12 am »
My pair of 66% off gloves arrived from Evans online shop.

Only 3 fingers on them? :D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Chris S

« Reply #2744 on: 29 November, 2012, 08:48:30 am »
A couple of SRAM 991 chains. I don't think the chain on the Longstaff survived the salty spray/rainfest of last Saturday.

« Reply #2745 on: 29 November, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »
Set of stupidly cheap Decathlon mudguards for my old MTB. ...

Out of curiosity, how stupidly cheap?  When I wanted some cheap ones for Vince, the best I could do was a pair of relatively cheap SKS ones from (Wiggle iirc), which were about £13 a pair.  The price of mudguards is fairly ridiculous considering how cheap to manufacture there are (even compared to other components we build bikes out of).  I'm guessing their bulk to store and transport has a noticeable impact on pricing.
£4.99.

They're MTB-style, no stays. One attachment point for the front, two for the back.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2746 on: 29 November, 2012, 03:43:12 pm »
Tried to but they didn't have what I wanted in the shop. So.. back to the internet...

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2747 on: 29 November, 2012, 03:46:01 pm »
My Aldi cheapo winter gloves just don't cut it below 3 degrees so a pair of Specialized Sub Zero (lobster style) gloves. Expensive but hopefully worth it.

I like the fact that the inners are usable gloves in their own right and they have stuff in the finger tips so I can use my iphone without removing them.

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #2748 on: 29 November, 2012, 03:48:33 pm »
A GPS thingymabob, 3rd hand  :thumbsup:
So now, instead of worrying about getting lost on audaxes, I'll be riding about in the wrong direction blaming "bloody technology"  ;D

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #2749 on: 29 November, 2012, 05:11:03 pm »
A GPS thingymabob, 3rd hand  :thumbsup:
So now, instead of worrying about getting lost on audaxes, I'll be riding about in the wrong direction blaming "bloody technology"  ;D

Barring mishaps, it does improve the experience generally :D
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)