Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877098 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3175 on: 22 March, 2013, 10:15:01 pm »
Went to Lidl.  Not much there really.  Bought yet another pair of mits. Well, you have to really, don't you?
God knows how many pairs I've got now.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3176 on: 22 March, 2013, 10:49:34 pm »
Went to Lidl.  Not much there really.  Bought yet another pair of mits. Well, you have to really, don't you?
God knows how many pairs I've got now.

Fewer than you have odd single mitts, no doubt.

(We're particularly bad for this, as in borderline conditions barakta tends to wear a glove on her left hand and a mitt on her right.)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3177 on: 22 March, 2013, 10:51:10 pm »
Makings of a new front dynamo wheel
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3178 on: 23 March, 2013, 12:25:57 am »
A £4.99 Lidl bike computer, I was intending to get two but it wasn't obvious from the packaging whether it displayed average speed so got one to check. On opening the packet it does so will test it out and it it meets my satisfaction I will pop in for another next week.

Is only splashproof but reading the spec for IP44 it seems that splashproof is pretty good just not submergible.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3179 on: 23 March, 2013, 12:37:00 pm »
A Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x25 from Bike +

« Reply #3180 on: 23 March, 2013, 01:33:14 pm »
A brake. It's predecessor was completely fecked

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3181 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:35:29 pm »
Elbow guards.

Given the ongoing state of the weather/road surfaces, and that my left elbow hasn't been quite right since I came off on diesel in 2010, they seemed like a useful investment.

Maybe they'll work like studded tyres and encourage the weather to improve?

« Reply #3182 on: 23 March, 2013, 04:45:07 pm »
Shimano 12-27 (9s) cassette and a 9s KMC chain.  (Looked in cupboard upstairs and what did  I Find? A Shimano 12-27 (9s) cassette and a 9s KMC chain. Must stop hoarding items).

« Reply #3183 on: 23 March, 2013, 05:36:54 pm »
Elbow guards.

Given the ongoing state of the weather/road surfaces, and that my left elbow hasn't been quite right since I came off on diesel in 2010, they seemed like a useful investment.

Maybe they'll work like studded tyres and encourage the weather to improve?

Does this mean you will look a bit like Boudica on your next outing?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3184 on: 23 March, 2013, 05:38:15 pm »
No more than usual.

(Hmm, still need to sort out the wheel blades for the trike...)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3185 on: 24 March, 2013, 04:35:50 pm »
A Nuovo Record derailleur from Ebay (whoops!) for a future project.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3186 on: 24 March, 2013, 07:12:56 pm »
A Nuovo Record derailleur from Ebay (whoops!) for a future project.

Not to mention (and you didn't) a simply lovely Altura Roubaix top from Marco (which, although he liked it, was too long for his short bod). It was a bargain, even though I say so myself.

What was I thinking? 8cm of snow overnight, & nothing suitable to wear now.  ::-)   :)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3187 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:53:10 am »
Also not to mention a gilet from Lidl, in medium to replace the now voluminous large one from a couple of years ago. I suddenly have loads of kit which is just as well as I had to wear most of it for yesterday's run.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3188 on: 26 March, 2013, 11:14:10 pm »
Aye.

I've just taken delivery of a set of Mr. Shimano's finest Ultegra STIs, crankset and mechs to modify my new N+1 to the spec I want.
( Road triple crankset 52/39/30 in place of the duh-fault compact double with the ( IMHO! ) useless 34 ring.   Gimme a 39 chainring any day. )

I've just spent an hour trying not to break the new shiny whilst pulling back the rubber hoods to find out where the cables go on these new-fangled shifters which don't have the sticky-out-at-the-side shift cables.   It's like handling a bloody Faberge egg. Beautifully intricate, but you're afraid you'll break it.  You need to be fairly rough with the rubber shrouds to gain access to the necessary bits.

« Reply #3189 on: 26 March, 2013, 11:21:42 pm »
I have ordered a 5 bike semi-vertical rack from bikedocksolutions for the study. It isn't cheap but will make very good use of the space whilst making all of the bikes easily accessible. There's currently 6 bikes in there so one will have to relocate to the garage.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3190 on: 26 March, 2013, 11:26:11 pm »
A pair of ski gloves for the Easter Arrow and a mini pump.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3191 on: 27 March, 2013, 01:07:04 am »
I have ordered a 5 bike semi-vertical rack from bikedocksolutions for the study. It isn't cheap but will make very good use of the space whilst making all of the bikes easily accessible. There's currently 6 bikes in there so one will have to relocate to the garage.

Hmm, there's probably room for one of those in our dining room. I wonder how much they cost (when you factor in the divorce proceedings).

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3192 on: 27 March, 2013, 07:14:18 am »
A set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S wheels for my BMC streetracer.
 Ooh looking forward to giving them a spin out.  :D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3193 on: 27 March, 2013, 09:25:30 am »
2 new chains, new shifter cables, and a rear mech for MrsC's commuty bike. This winter has really hammered her bike - she rides every day, whatever the weather, about 450 miles a month - and it is starting to give up the fight for life. When the weather turns and she can use a summer bike, I'm going to have to replace pretty much anything that moves on it!

« Reply #3194 on: 28 March, 2013, 12:13:51 pm »

O. They are
i) poor quality
ii) come with no instructions
iii) not easy to use

(This is the groundworker company view. We have recently been asked to install 160 at a college in Cambridge and both the workmen on site and the Main Contractor who specified them have slated them for ease of installation, use and appearance, and are now seriously considering removing them, and at massive cost putting something else in instead.)

Perhaps they will be better indoors than in the cycle sheds :-\

« Reply #3195 on: 28 March, 2013, 12:21:58 pm »

O. They are
i) poor quality
ii) come with no instructions
iii) not easy to use

(This is the groundworker company view. We have recently been asked to install 160 at a college in Cambridge and both the workmen on site and the Main Contractor who specified them have slated them for ease of installation, use and appearance, and are now seriously considering removing them, and at massive cost putting something else in instead.)

Perhaps they will be better indoors than in the cycle sheds :-\

I will report back when they arrive and I install them!
I'm not worried about instructions or appearance, so long as I can get out each bike without moving its neighbours. I wouldn't choose this design for a workplace or college because they are not as secure or easy to lock a bike to as sheffield stands. I've got a Pragmasis ground anchor and mahoosive chain so that aspect doesn't matter to me, especially indoors.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3196 on: 28 March, 2013, 06:37:34 pm »
I've just picked up an n+1 from the nice chaps at Spokes bikes in Dundee.
A bit of soot-based fluff for the Summer, if that ever comes around.
Paid for by a long-service award from the salt mines of Montrose.

Whist chatting about this and that, it seems they know David Martin OTP, and all about his recent wipeout.

I now need to re-fettle it to the spec I want.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3197 on: 29 March, 2013, 03:09:35 pm »
Pair of Shimano RS30 wheels - white with grey decals for MrsC's Spesh. Very bling!

« Reply #3198 on: 29 March, 2013, 04:40:33 pm »
Ball bearings for hubs regrease.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3199 on: 29 March, 2013, 07:36:01 pm »
New chain for the Hanlon.