Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877010 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3575 on: 07 September, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »
On hols in Settle (North West Yorkshire) with the trikes and from Three Peaks Cycles got an Altura Merino long sleeve top for Barbara and a Park multi tool for me also gels and energy bars for the inevitable 20%  plus climbs. The staff are very helpful with excellent product knowledge, will use again.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3576 on: 07 September, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
Various bits of XT kit (hub, rear mech, shifter etc.) for the Pugsley rebuild.

I've decided I'm not man enough to rock a fixed-gear fat bike so I'm going for Lots-Of-GearsTM instead.

You're going for derailleur gears? :o

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3577 on: 07 September, 2013, 01:52:01 pm »
Various bits of XT kit (hub, rear mech, shifter etc.) for the Pugsley rebuild.

I've decided I'm not man enough to rock a fixed-gear fat bike so I'm going for Lots-Of-GearsTM instead.

You're going for derailleur gears? :o
Yep - probably 1x10; gives me a bit more control over gearing options than I'd have with a hub gear - changing a cassette is a heck of a sight cheaper than changing a chainring, especially when the chainrings are for Surly's MWOD chainset (ie. not cheap)

« Reply #3578 on: 07 September, 2013, 02:01:24 pm »
A Sturmey Archer four pronged singlespeed freewheel removal tool, since it turns out to not quite be the same size as a standard four pronged tool. ???
Actually, it is rocket science.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3579 on: 08 September, 2013, 07:52:56 pm »
A Sturmey Archer four pronged singlespeed freewheel removal tool, since it turns out to not quite be the same size as a standard four pronged tool. ???

i haven't noticed that sa slots are different from shimano freewheels. "cyclo bmx-4" tool works fine with both..

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3580 on: 09 September, 2013, 01:28:57 pm »
A Rholoff chain tensioner.
TA single ring chain ring bolts.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3581 on: 14 September, 2013, 11:22:46 pm »
Well, technically no, but Big Bruvva finally sent me my birthday pressie - a Keep Calm and Pedal On T-shirt.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3582 on: 15 September, 2013, 09:27:17 pm »
Finally jumped into the Cycle to Work scheme and bought myself a cyclo cross bike.

An On-One Dirty Disco with drop bars and Shimano 105. Nice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3583 on: 15 September, 2013, 10:09:23 pm »
Some 30mm velcro was waiting for me when I got home.  That will be put to use next week sometime to re-vitalise my Carradice Prima.

« Reply #3584 on: 15 September, 2013, 11:27:10 pm »
Some shim thingies to put in STI levers, because I just don't find them easy to brake from. Hopefully they will help.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3585 on: 16 September, 2013, 01:36:36 pm »
a small victorinox knife and a small flat screwdriver (both can fit into prk box)

« Reply #3586 on: 17 September, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »
I pressed buy now on a track pump, attempting to use the tried and tested "when you buy a new one your original one will turn up" technique- MIA since the housemove, I need a proper pump.

Of course now I've stated the intent, the original will stay missing...

but to stave that off, I've ordered a nicer one, that I wont want to return.

Take that karma!

(And pump, come the fuck out of hiding.)

« Reply #3587 on: 18 September, 2013, 06:44:55 am »
Spent 10 minutes this morning hunting for the rear light, last used one evening in Cambridgeshire. Eventually found it, no batteries, typical. Raced round to tesco (on the pavement, ugh) bought new batteries and it still doesn't work.

So, buying new lights today. I'm starting to think it's an annual thing. I hate having to spend money for things I should already own, and this is two days in a row, grrr. Still, there's that lezyne sale...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3588 on: 18 September, 2013, 09:41:42 am »
A back light from Action. Cost 2 Euros or slightly less than the replacement batteries will be when they run out.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3589 on: 18 September, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »
Not strictly bought since it was a warranty replacement, but I collected my new Enigma frame today.
It looks darn good and I'm looking forward to getting it built up to ride it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3590 on: 18 September, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »
Not strictly bought since it was a warranty replacement, butI collected my new Enigma frame today.
It looks darn good and I'm looking forward to getting it built up to ride it.

Just heading out to pick up my bike from the LBS: Shimano 105 10-spd 3 years old and the external BB bearings were shot.  The bearings on my 1999 9-spd 105 are still fine.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3591 on: 18 September, 2013, 05:15:05 pm »
100 Tip top 16mm patches from some Ebay shop or other.  Some glue from Halfords.

Tube patching fest for me tonight!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3592 on: 18 September, 2013, 07:54:37 pm »
SKS mudguards and Knog Blinder rear light for my ex-mtb shopping bike.

« Reply #3593 on: 18 September, 2013, 08:23:16 pm »
New Roubaix bib tights!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3594 on: 19 September, 2013, 09:39:24 am »
A second mount for my handlebar bag, so I can use it on the commuting bike as well as the "best bike". A pair of chains so I can replace the chain and sprocket on the commuter. It sounds terrible right now - I'm hoping the chainring is still OK.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3595 on: 19 September, 2013, 09:32:04 pm »
one of those canyon vcls seatposts. it has adjustable 15-35mm setback (good for b17 saddle) and quite a bit of spring - improved comfort without sacrificing speed

« Reply #3596 on: 20 September, 2013, 06:55:38 pm »
One of those canyon vcls seatposts.

Please report back when you've done some miles on it zigzag; I'm wondering about getting something like that for my new frame.

In other news, and as reported elsewhere, I bought a set of 11sp Chorus shifters for the aforementioned new frame.
Ribble had the best prices that I could find and they sweetened the deal by knocking another 10% off with a Tour of Britain extra discount.
I've apologised to my LBS but they understood; they couldn't buy them from the distributor for what I paid........
I suspect that Ribble are getting rid of old stock but that suited me because I understand that the 2014 models won't work with Shimano derailleurs.

« Reply #3597 on: 20 September, 2013, 10:59:04 pm »
Well done in getting a VCLS - I wanted the Ergon version so I could support my LBS, but the distributor can't get any.

Big purchase today. Deal with my LBS, where giving back my old Madone 4.5 frame that got sideswiped (and some money) will result in something close to this (2013 Madone 2.3), but with mostly Ultegra bits. Going to put mudguards on it and use it as my winter bike when I don't want to ride fixed.

« Reply #3598 on: 20 September, 2013, 11:49:42 pm »
Well it's taken some time probably over a year, but I have just received conformation of my order for a 2014 Croix de Fer frameset. Yes I know I was supposed to be buying a Surly  X Check but I was mucked about by 2 different shops that are my "local" Surly dealers, one advised me that they only do complete bikes and then didn't reply to my emails, the other just never got back to me. so they obviously didn't want my money. Any way after a bit of a rethink and a fairly recent post on here I decided that I would go for the Genesis, it was one of my earlier choices I just wasn't keen on disc brakes & a white frame, thankfully Genesis listen to their customers, so I tried to get hold of a frame but drew a blank, it turns out the the Surly dealers are also the local Genesis dealers and there was no way I was going to give them my money after my previous experience of them. So I popped into Evans in Cardiff unfortunately they didn't have any in stock so I went online - none in my size so I enquired when they would be getting some in, the first reply was to try and interest me in a complete bike after another email they informed me that they were out of 2013 stock and didn't know when they would be getting any more in. Not being put off I went on face book and found the genesis site/page and asked on there if anyone knew where I could get a frameset a nice man from Telford contacted me and said he would be happy to supply me with said frame. http://www.thebicyclehub.co.uk/ This is them, I know nothing about them but so far they have been very helpful and answered all my questions and emails, I phoned Stefan on Thursday, I had an email today Friday to say that he has now got the frameset in the shop, he's checked it over and given it the thumbs up he will send it on to me on Monday to turn up on Tuesday 24th, now that is what I call good service, sorry for the waffle but I've been holding that in for a while and of course pictures to follow, but it could be a slow build. :)

« Reply #3599 on: 21 September, 2013, 12:22:33 am »
"Stealth" mud flaps from Rainydaybiking.  These look black/charcoal colored until light shines on them, then they turn white / reflective.  Rainydaybiking also makes others in white, red, yellow, with or without printed graphics, etc.

Located in Seattle (USA).  With "full coverage" fenders, these can keep spray off of your toes from the front wheel, and off of your friends' faces in a paceline.

What I really need is a mudflap on a stick that I could place on the back wheel of the bike in front of me -- I'm seldom the one in front!