Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877223 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3700 on: 20 November, 2013, 04:41:04 pm »
I put in an order for a pair of wheels with Torslanda OTP and I took over some of the raw materials this pm.
After a chat and a cup of tea I came home and ordered a Sram 32-11 cassette for the new wheels.

I collected the wheels yesterday and very nice they are too  :thumbsup:
I'm intending to fit some used Marathon Extremes on them and then they'll go on the Dirty Disco when I go off-roading.

I also tried to buy a £10 (down from £40) Ride London cyling shirt from Wiggle but they didn't have my size.
They did, however, have a nice cotton t-shirt from the event (£2.50) and a clear rain jacket (£15).
I'm pretty sure that I'll keep the t-shirt; I'll make a judgement on the jacket when I've seen it.

The t-shirt is indeed very good but the rain jacket is pretty poor; much too short and much too baggy as well as being made of fabric that looks like it'll be boil in the bag.
It was worth a try.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3701 on: 20 November, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »
Some more chains for the spares box, as they're still a tenner at Planet X

« Reply #3702 on: 20 November, 2013, 07:33:35 pm »
Succumbed to the temptation of more light for off road and ordered one of these-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111209291979

Can we have a road report please?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3703 on: 20 November, 2013, 10:19:14 pm »
Just ordered a singlespeed wheelset, partly to replace the rear wheel that lost it's rim on my commute on Monday, and partly to replace the front wheel, since I don't think I've got a vast amount of confidence in rims which don't appear to be able to last 1000 miles.  I'll put the old front aside as a "just in case" spare, should I need a spare wheel at short notice.

They weren't expensive, but not stupidly cheap either.  They've got eyeleted rims, and only cost about 50% of the price of the entire bike, new. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3704 on: 20 November, 2013, 10:23:23 pm »
Succumbed to the temptation of more light for off road and ordered one of these-

Very bright - Low mode was around about the same intensity as my Cyo, if a little less focussed. Medium was very bright and High is bright enough to goad me into riding down a steep rutted track a bit faster than I should've really :)

I only ran it on the charge that was already in the supplied battery, and one thing I didn't like was that I got less than 5 minutes warning between the flashing low power indicator coming on and the light going out.

I'm hoping to retest it properly with pictures when I get some free time, so probably Friday/Saturday.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3705 on: 21 November, 2013, 01:08:21 pm »

Very bright - Low mode was around about the same intensity as my Cyo, if a little less focussed. Medium was very bright and High is bright enough to goad me into riding down a steep rutted track a bit faster than I should've really :)

I only ran it on the charge that was already in the supplied battery, and one thing I didn't like was that I got less than 5 minutes warning between the flashing low power indicator coming on and the light going out.

I'm hoping to retest it properly with pictures when I get some free time, so probably Friday/Saturday.

If you can only see those pictures by using that kind of bright light, it probably means you've been looking at them too much.

HTH

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3706 on: 22 November, 2013, 07:24:27 am »
I had a delivery from Rose yesterday. A complete bike's worth of parts!

(click to show/hide)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3707 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:21:25 am »
Two 30mm wide Schwalbe Winter tyres. I killed a Snow stud on the way to work this morning (bead has punctured the casing and now doesn't hold the rim and does attack the tube :()

It will be interesting to see what 30mm winter tyres feel like when they arrive compared to the more agricultural snow studs
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3708 on: 24 November, 2013, 10:03:10 pm »
Two 30mm wide Schwalbe Winter tyres. I killed a Snow stud on the way to work this morning (bead has punctured the casing and now doesn't hold the rim and does attack the tube :()

It will be interesting to see what 30mm winter tyres feel like when they arrive compared to the more agricultural snow studs

I find them lighter and faster to ride than the 35mm version with 4 rows of studs. They still suffer from that weirdness you get when cornering and go from rolling on rubber to rolling on studs and have a slight 'oh shit' moment. Grip on ice feels pretty similar to me  :)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3709 on: 26 November, 2013, 08:55:53 am »
Some Wahoo gadgets to allow me to gather ever greater amounts of depressing data about my lack of ability when on the bike, turbo or running machine.

« Reply #3710 on: 26 November, 2013, 10:26:02 am »
A set of KMC (IMHO the best for longevity) chains for the trike and a Topeak bar extension
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3711 on: 26 November, 2013, 09:11:48 pm »
Not today but expecting delivery of some metal tyre levers from Tredz.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3712 on: 26 November, 2013, 09:28:56 pm »
Just some tyres and inner tubes to go with the wheels I ordered a few posts back.  I'll probably use the existing inner tubes anyway, but the tyres were a bit cheap and cheerful, so something slightly better is probably a good idea before I get too many more visits from the fairy.

« Reply #3713 on: 26 November, 2013, 10:05:26 pm »
Arrived today but ordered Sunday - a new pair of silk liner gloves as the old pair have a hole in one finger tip that is becoming irksome. Not bad for <£7 inc. delivery.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3714 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:32:27 pm »
New trailer delivered yesterday. One of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006JRR1HS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I spent 20 minutes this morning putting it together. At lunchtime I fitted the shackle and went for a test drive. It's groovy!
Now I can really go shopping and carting STUFFS about :thumbsup:

<Note to self: Remember to not go over speed humps at speed :facepalm:>
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #3715 on: 27 November, 2013, 03:33:42 pm »
New trailer delivered yesterday. ...

I used to take downhills speedhumps at speed when using my Yak Bob (single wheeled) trailer.  You could feel it launch into the air, and it would sometimes bounce a bit randomly sideways (presumably hitting a slightly irregularity on the road surface), which you could also feel in the movement of the bike, but not dramatically so.

« Reply #3716 on: 27 November, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »
Eight pairs of Kool Stop triple compound brake pads - they were very cheap at Rosebikes (though I see they've now gone up by £5 a pair!) so even with the postage it worked out cheaper than any UK supplier. That should sort my braking needs for a while.

« Reply #3717 on: 27 November, 2013, 07:33:41 pm »
Some scary-sharp looking bear trap pedals to replace the knackered platforms on my commuter.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3718 on: 28 November, 2013, 11:03:01 am »
New trailer delivered yesterday. ...

I used to take downhills speedhumps at speed when using my Yak Bob (single wheeled) trailer.  You could feel it launch into the air, and it would sometimes bounce a bit randomly sideways (presumably hitting a slightly irregularity on the road surface), which you could also feel in the movement of the bike, but not dramatically so.
I hardly noticed it was there handling-wise. It was the noise. It made such a clatter they probably heard it in Lancre!
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3719 on: 28 November, 2013, 01:49:14 pm »
I hardly noticed it was there handling-wise. It was the noise. It made such a clatter they probably heard it in Lancre!

That neatly sums up the difference between single-wheel and two-wheel trailers :)

« Reply #3720 on: 28 November, 2013, 05:43:26 pm »
Some new SKS mudguards, in matt black for a change. They're nicely understated, and have proper mudflaps.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3721 on: 28 November, 2013, 05:44:54 pm »
Nothing yet, but discussions are ongoing with the LBS and I'm in very serious danger of pulling the trigger on Yet Another Genesis (a Croix De Fer this time)

« Reply #3722 on: 28 November, 2013, 05:50:49 pm »
A Charge Duster Frame.  Its going to be built up to disc brake tourer spec.   Interestingly the only other parts I need to purchase to complete the build are a headset, some cable ends and a Brooks B17.   Yes, I really do have a collection of that many parts in the garage :thumbsup: ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3723 on: 01 December, 2013, 02:22:39 pm »
A couple of GPS mounts.

N+1 negotiations are still ongoing, especially as Cannondale have thrown a spanner into the works - LBS are now a Cannondale dealer, the owner handed me a Cannondale catalogue, pointed at the Synapse Ultegra Disc and said 'what about one of them?'. What about one of them, indeed ...

« Reply #3724 on: 01 December, 2013, 07:28:43 pm »

N+1 negotiations are still ongoing, especially as Cannondale have thrown a spanner into the works - LBS are now a Cannondale dealer, the owner handed me a Cannondale catalogue, pointed at the Synapse Ultegra Disc and said 'what about one of them?'. What about one of them, indeed ...

You owe it to yourself. Unless you wait for the carbon version  ;).

I bought some Assos L1 Insulator gloves.
Not cheap but comparable prices to the rest of the thin gloves that I looked at in the running and outdoor shops.
I think they're going to be a good buy (and I got 10% off).
Gloves, shorts, saddles, tyres and lights are things that I don't mind paying a lot for. If they work   :)