Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877193 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3800 on: 23 January, 2014, 04:46:14 pm »
A chainring.

New chain on the MTB didn't really go with the spiky middle chainring.  :(

Luckily it's fine on the other two. For now.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3801 on: 23 January, 2014, 06:31:01 pm »
A really heavy-duty lock, because my old D-lock seized up and I'm not too happy about leaving my bike locked up round Glasgow with a cable lock.

You need some graphite powder

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=graphite+powder&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3170413124&ref=pd_sl_8rsxo4jwk6_p

Thanks, I think I'll get some to keep the new lock running smoothly!

Ridiculously heavy lock arrived today, along with a purple headset. :-[ I don't have a bike to put the headset on, but it's been added to my drawer of purple bits for possible future n+1.

« Reply #3802 on: 23 January, 2014, 06:36:30 pm »
Not today but on Saturday.   I bought some Merrell Moab multi-activity gore-tex shoes.

Cycling?   I hear you ask.

I use these type of shoes when cycle touring:  Good on the bike with toe clips, good off the bike.   I suffered last year in Orkney as my eldest lad had purloined my Merrell Chameleons and my Karrimor cheapies proved inadequate for the job.   

Roll on March. May and June ...  ;D   :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3803 on: 23 January, 2014, 07:16:19 pm »
An XTR front mech for Pugsley ...

Turns out that the LX E-type mech I bought off the 'Bay was bottom-pull, whereas Pugsley needs a top-pull mech. Since it only cost me a fiver I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but it's bloody annoying all the same.

But not as annoying as the fact that the only 2x10 friendly E-type mech I can find is XTR.

« Reply #3804 on: 25 January, 2014, 07:52:12 am »
PowerTap Track hub: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cycleops/powertap-pro-track-hub-ec036004 (blimey, it was the last in 32 hole!)
17T and 18T Sprockets to go with it: http://www.hubjub.co.uk/index.php/store/cogs-sprockets/white-ind-cog-detail

Geek data toys for fixed now too!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3805 on: 25 January, 2014, 11:30:23 am »
A full set of Great Divide Mountain Bike Route maps, although it'll be a while before I get them - it's ultimately quicker (and cheaper, postage-wise) to have them sent to our Chicago office and have our CEO bring them over with him next month.

A combination of the cheap(er) postage and the discount I get means that my ACA membership has already paid for itself  :thumbsup:

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3806 on: 25 January, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »
A Deore 11-32 cassette for the Kona; new chain last weekend and I was hoping (forlornly, as it turned out) that the old one would be fine. Larger adjustable wrench also needed but local ironmongers has a 20%-off-everything sale today, so swings & roundabouts.

LBS about 80% more expensive than online, but, you know, LBS support & all that. And one gets a welcome from Cassie the four-legged Afghan walking doormat.  :thumbsup:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3807 on: 27 January, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »
A second B&M Cyo T from Rose Bikes for a bargain 48 Euros + postage.

I was going to transfer the current one from the Spare Parts Bike to the CdF, but nothing comes back from the SPB
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3808 on: 27 January, 2014, 03:52:04 pm »
Over the past several days, quite a lot! A set of Assos bib-longs (ebay), an Exposure Maxx D front light (also ebay), a Cateye TLD600 rear light and saddle rail mounting bracket. And a second Garmin 705 (ebay again) as I like then a lot and want a spare. To balance that I sold a pair of Spesh MTB shoes, and will have to list a few more things soon!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3809 on: 27 January, 2014, 04:13:10 pm »
Oh yeah, speaking of Assos, my replacement 'large' arm-warmers arrived.  They fit okay, if a bit generous in length (no bad thing).  I've no idea what people with actually large, perhaps muscular, arms are supposed to do.  Other than not buy Assos, of course.

« Reply #3810 on: 27 January, 2014, 04:28:22 pm »
New bike for my youngest who'd outgrown the islabikes beinn 26

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-fit-7-id_8239799.html

Wasnt intending to buy, was in decathlon for other things, but saw this, great looking bike and went for it.
Orderd mudguards (crud catcher 2's) for it.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3811 on: 27 January, 2014, 05:41:14 pm »
Pair of Fulcrum Racing Zero Red Passion wheels for my N+1 UCI-buster. And some Jagwire red cables. Faster, innit.

« Reply #3812 on: 27 January, 2014, 06:15:09 pm »
I liked being bored so I bought a turbo trainer  ;)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3813 on: 27 January, 2014, 08:13:04 pm »
Ordered some new tyres (GP 4 Seasons) and some sunglasses (with added clear lenses).

« Reply #3814 on: 27 January, 2014, 08:28:29 pm »
Ordered some new tyres (GP 4 Seasons) and some sunglasses (with added clear lenses).

Ah the optimism I like it! (I bought a cat eye mirror  ::-))
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #3815 on: 27 January, 2014, 08:33:21 pm »
Found a Urge Endur-O-Matic mtb helmet for £20 today, quite a bargain.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3816 on: 31 January, 2014, 12:15:21 pm »
A 19T Alfine-friendly sprocket for the orange Genesis. It's time to knock the gearing up a notch (or rather 3 notches, since it's replacing a 22T)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3817 on: 31 January, 2014, 12:31:56 pm »
Ultegra 6800 carbon SPD-SL pedals, about half price at Wiggle. Oh no, more Haribo ;D

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3818 on: 01 February, 2014, 04:44:00 pm »
From a local charity shop, 3 Cycling Touring Guides (Northern, South-Eastern & Midland), by Harold Briercliffe. They are reprints from 2012, first published in 1947.

They are complete with 1947 adverts (Elswick Hopper Super Club, Walton & Brown components, etc.). Let the sofa-based touring begin.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3819 on: 01 February, 2014, 09:04:15 pm »
I got Haribo with my Wiggle order the other week!  That was some USE tri-bar extensions - perhaps they thought I needed the go-faster drugs? 

My most recent cycling purchase was from my LBS: some arm warmers, plus the loan of an Adamo saddle.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3820 on: 01 February, 2014, 11:12:30 pm »
2 x stainless steel gear cables from my LBS. £2.99 each, or summat like that. Compare and contrast with £5.99 each from Evans, where I'd just been.

(And galvanised steel cables. Why?)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3821 on: 02 February, 2014, 02:03:19 pm »
An aero helmet ... from someone called Beryl  :o

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3822 on: 02 February, 2014, 08:34:01 pm »
Ordered a new 1/8 chain for the fixer, having hootered up the old one (see fettling thread). And two replacement pins for my chain tool, for the same reason.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3823 on: 02 February, 2014, 09:01:41 pm »
A Stronglight chainring to replace the Shimano chainring I bought recently, because the Shimano ring wouldn't go on the Shimano cranks it was supposed to.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3824 on: 03 February, 2014, 12:48:51 pm »
On Saturday I bought the cheapest light in the bike shop to make green bike legal for this weeks commute. Not much good for seeing with though. Lezyne Femto Drive.