Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874813 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4075 on: 08 July, 2014, 06:02:17 pm »
Well, kinda cycling related, a newish Passion Wagon for myself, a Vauxhall Meriva to replace my Grande Punto.   Quite surprised at the amount of space in the Meriva - oodles of room in the boot for bicycles with the rear seats folded flat and Rolls Royce style reverse hinged rear doors!     :thumbsup:
If it's a 2004-2005 model then be prepared for extreme pain of the intermittent and fiscal variety - the electrics from that era are flakier than a nuclear strike on a Kellogg's factory.

Don't ask how I know this  :facepalm:

(in a similar vein, did you know you can get a fat-bike into a Hyundai i10? Well you can ...)

« Reply #4076 on: 09 July, 2014, 08:19:19 pm »
Some muddy fox cycling shorts from Sports direct. I wanted some bibs but none of their stores seem to have any.

I don't normally wear lycra, but I need all the comfort I can get for the dun run on Saturday.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #4077 on: 10 July, 2014, 11:19:49 pm »
Yesterday, doing the rounds of local breweries at the Great Yorkshire Show I purchased a Foska manufactured "Theakston's Old Peculier" jersey.
Mrs M obtained a Black sheep brewery cycling jersey. 
Methinks that I shall collect a whole set of Yorkshire themed jerseys , without having to resort to club colours. A positive spin off from the TDF.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4078 on: 19 July, 2014, 09:00:04 pm »
IMG_1784 by windy_, on Flickr

It sort of spoke to me and said 'buy me, buy me' so I did  ::-)

« Reply #4079 on: 19 July, 2014, 09:40:18 pm »
Moved across town and tried my new local bike shop. Really helpful guys in there, not up themselves at all and bought a pair of shorts. Woohoo
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #4080 on: 19 July, 2014, 10:00:07 pm »
Some p-clips to replace the broken one which is no longer holding my rack onto my commuting bicycle.

These are actually the correct size for my seat stays, so should be relatively easily fit, and more solid and longer lasting.  If they fail, I can replace them a further 1½ times, since I bought five!

The second one did successfully hold the rack on the bike, by itself, all of this week, although I suspect it's been stressed more than would be reliable for very long.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4081 on: 19 July, 2014, 11:26:25 pm »
A turbo tyre and a mat. I'm missing riding and need to turn the pedals over so they should get some use.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4082 on: 20 July, 2014, 09:46:54 am »
Being the type of bloke who sometimes says "how much :o" I wrapped an old inner tube around the roller to be kinder to my normal tyre & used a large carpet off-cut.

:thumbsup: for the initiative.
Do you have something to listen to or watch to combat the boredom calm your nerves from the thrill of turbo riding.

We here are glad to see that you are mending.
Will we eventually see your sling on Ebay?
 ;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4083 on: 20 July, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »
Being the type of bloke who sometimes says "how much :o" I wrapped an old inner tube around the roller to be kinder to my normal tyre & used a large carpet off-cut.

:thumbsup: for the initiative.
Do you have something to listen to or watch to combat the boredom calm your nerves from the thrill of turbo riding.

We here are glad to see that you are mending.
Will we eventually see you sling on Ebay?
 ;D

I was wearing out an old conti sport contact on the thing over winter, but it is now dead and decided if I'm going to use the thing properly for a good while then I might as well get the proper stuff.

The reason for the mat is so that I can use the trainer in the front room with the big TV and iPlayer/Lovefilm connections. The mat should also double as a work-mat for fettling bikes I hope.

I'm bad at getting round to selling things so whether they get slung on the 'bay or not I'll have to see, but for now I just want to get back on a bike! :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4085 on: 21 July, 2014, 11:00:32 am »
Bottom bracket - again sigh....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4086 on: 22 July, 2014, 09:35:43 am »
For the new 29er

A pair of vittoria randonneur pro for getting me to the trails in Scotland. Plus tubes for them.
A front mucky Nutz
Carradice carradry saddlebag to hold my sleeping bag, mat etc.

Just about to get a new helmet, I don't want to kill my Mavic road helmet. I love it that much  :facepalm:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4087 on: 22 July, 2014, 09:47:06 am »
The following:

• An extra long skewer for the rear wheel of the singlespeed - the current one isn't grippy enough meaning that the wheel's getting pulled out of track even though I'm using a chaintug on the drive side. I must be more of a torque-monster than I first thought  ::-)
  • Some bar-end plugs for the High Latitude - I noticed this morning that one has gone AWOL and I don't have any in the spares box
  • A titanium poo-shovel for my bikepacking kit  ;D

« Reply #4088 on: 22 July, 2014, 09:50:04 am »

That's a bit flash for burying poo you Ti Tart :thumbsup:
    OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
    • Agent Orange
      • interzen.homeunix.org
    « Reply #4089 on: 22 July, 2014, 09:54:24 am »

That's a bit flash for burying poo you Ti Tart :thumbsup:
    And proud of it  :P

A friend of mine on FaceBork reminded me of another use for it, though - digging up the some of the more tenacious roots in the back garden which have claimed any number of boring steel trowels.

Anyway, it goes nicely with my Ti stove, Ti heatshield, Ti Spork and Ti pot ;D I even have some titanium teeth (the ultimate cyclists accessory?) but I don't recommend that people take the route I took to acquire them ...

Sadly the market seems to be bereft of carbon-fibre shit shovels ...

jogler

• mojo operandi
    « Reply #4090 on: 22 July, 2014, 10:38:28 am »
    wot,no ti toothbrush? :o

;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
    • Custard Wallah
      • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
    « Reply #4091 on: 22 July, 2014, 10:45:03 am »
    Too difficult to cut the handle off a Ti toothbrush ;D
    External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
    Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

interzen

• Venture Altruist
    • Agent Orange
      • interzen.homeunix.org
    « Reply #4092 on: 22 July, 2014, 10:45:49 am »
    wot,no ti toothbrush? :o

;D
    Nope, just a regular toothbrush chopped in half - I'm hardcore, me ;) (I did try chopping and drilling one but the structural integrity of the toothbrush wasn't up to it)

jogler

• mojo operandi
    « Reply #4093 on: 22 July, 2014, 10:46:47 am »
    I imagined you are ti-core 8)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
    • Agent Orange
      • interzen.homeunix.org
    « Reply #4094 on: 22 July, 2014, 10:48:08 am »
    I imagined you are ti-core 8)

ETA: I also have titanium-framed spectacles, although this wasn't a conscious decision.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
    « Reply #4095 on: 22 July, 2014, 02:30:50 pm »
    A tap and a reamer to let me replace the bushes in my Brommie. Brompton danced around the question for a very long time but eventually told me that they don't ever sell the proper reamers to the great unwashed.
    Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
    « Reply #4096 on: 28 July, 2014, 07:13:58 pm »
    I couldn't sleep the other night, and I'd been thinking that my cycling shoes and the cheap SPD pedals on my Genesis were starting to look a bit tatty. So today, a Wiggle box arrived at work bearing new pedals (carbon 105-level SPD-SLs - they were reduced and I wanted to match the rest of the groupset on The Nice Bike), and some blingy new road shoes (Shimano R088) to match.

The shoes aren't as difficult to walk in as I'd expected, but they are VERY white - I'm sure they won't last that way for long without some conscientious cleaning! The pedals are what'll take adjusting to. I'm used to being able to just stomp on my old SPDs, and I'll have to practice the nudge-and-click technique so I can stop looking down at them!

« Reply #4097 on: 28 July, 2014, 07:17:42 pm »
    Just ordered a pair of shimano saint flats and a hope bolt seat collar for the new bike. Just need them here before the weekend now.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
    • Agent Orange
      • interzen.homeunix.org
    « Reply #4098 on: 28 July, 2014, 07:50:43 pm »
    Just ordered a pair of shimano saint flats and a hope bolt seat collar for the new bike. Just need them here before the weekend now.
    When the cheese-derived bolt strips, as it invariably will1, get yourself a Thomson collar to replace it.

1 - DAHIKT.

« Reply #4099 on: 28 July, 2014, 07:55:02 pm »
    I've got a thomson, but it's silver. I wanted black :-*

I've not had a problem with hope collar bolts before, just wanted something better than the one that came with the bike. Didn't want a qr either, like my post and saddle to still be on the bike when I return to it.

I'll let you know if my fat hands snap it  :thumbsup: