Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877202 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4125 on: 19 August, 2014, 11:14:23 pm »
I bought a wee blinky. It USB charges (which is cool). Press the button once and it shinse steady white, twice for flashing white. thrice for solid red, and once again takes it to flashy red. Another press turns it off. Very nice. Branded RSP.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4126 on: 19 August, 2014, 11:40:56 pm »
A lifetime's supply of brake cable outer, because it's a losing battle trying to stop them gunking up after prolonged heavy rain with the lever mounted vertically and a U-bend of a cable run.  This way I can just throw some new ones on when it starts to affect performance, rather than mucking about with stop-gap lubricant.

Oddly, the gear cables are much less affected, in spite of vertically mounted bar-end shifters.

« Reply #4127 on: 20 August, 2014, 08:51:48 am »
The gear cables are used more than brake cables  and therefore seem to avoid corrosion to a greater degree .that's my theory anyway  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4128 on: 20 August, 2014, 09:42:19 am »
The brake levers on the Trice are ideally placed to collect SkogTM in filthy weather; mine ended up fitted with condoms made from old inner tubes.

OTOH the upward pointing end of the Speedmachine's front gear cable tends to absorb water, to the detriment of shifting performance in very cold weather chiz.  This was a PITA when commuting to the BigCo as there were a couple of Ups requiring the little ring.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4129 on: 20 August, 2014, 12:27:49 pm »
The gear cables are used more than brake cables  and therefore seem to avoid corrosion to a greater degree .that's my theory anyway  :)

I do spend a substantial amount of time riding with my hands covering the shifters.  Deliberately, in torrential rain.  Maybe that helps keep the water out?

I've had a gear cable freeze on a particularly cold FNRttC.  Fortunately, this was at the halfway stop, just after I'd had a conversation with somone about freezing cables, so I shifted into small/small before parking up (so that brute force rather than spring tension was available to break the ice).

But I mostly stick to the upwrong in cold weather.  It's more salt-resistant.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4130 on: 21 August, 2014, 03:00:54 pm »
Just fitted the new brake cables.  This time with a healthy dollop of grease at the lever end, just to see if that makes any difference.  Might stick some insulating tape over the slots in the front of the levers, too.

The old ones were absolutely slopping with water.  New ones mean the brakes are now feather-light and no longer make weary groaning noises.  I'd take it for a test ride, but it looks like it's about to rain.  :facepalm:

(I predict an accidental recumbent endo[1] when I ride the bike sometime next week.)

[1] Like a normal endo, but slow-motion and sillier.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4131 on: 21 August, 2014, 03:15:47 pm »
Two skewers.  And narrowly avoided buying a bike I simply cannot afford.
Getting there...

« Reply #4132 on: 21 August, 2014, 06:45:55 pm »
My Factory Seconds Carradice Barley arrived from the eBay seller today - it's a Debbie, and looks very fine on the bike.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #4133 on: 21 August, 2014, 11:24:38 pm »
And narrowly avoided buying a bike I simply cannot afford.

I accidentally bought a much cheaper bike on ebay  :-[

I hope it will solve my problem once it's fettled :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4134 on: 22 August, 2014, 07:09:30 am »
A new B17. A world traveller special edition with copper rails and rivets. It is a thing of beauty. Seems almost too nice to put my bottom on!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4135 on: 22 August, 2014, 12:03:37 pm »
My trusty Garmin Oregon has had a couple of hiccups in the last few days where it has need to be hit on the side to get it to work.

I've used the thing for probably 50,000km in all weathers so I don't think it owes me a penny.

So yesterday when I got in from my little holiday in Ostfriesland I placed an order for the new Garmin Oregon 650 with Handtec.co.uk (from whom I bought the original Oregon) at about five in the afternoon. This was paid for with my English credit card but with delivery to Germany.

Said new gadget was delivered before midday here in Nordrhein-Westfalen which I think is rather impressive! It helps that I'm on the courier route from Düsseldorf but still, I think that's quicker than I would have expected for delivery to England even!

I'm charging up its battery and then will go out for a windy, rainy ride in the Velomobile to see if I like it.

At some point I will have to confess to James that I just spent £300 on another Garmin...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4136 on: 22 August, 2014, 12:48:16 pm »
A 9 speed chain for the tandem (which fell apart on the dun run but I didn't notice) and some replacement holders and brake pads.

Let's see if I can scare the natives with salmon coolstops squealing.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4137 on: 22 August, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »
A pair of SPD cleats m.  How bloody much?  :o. I'm going to fit them to the Lidl/Aldi shoes that have been lying unwrapped in the bottom of my wardrobe for the last three years.  I'm not sure if the shoes cost less than the cleats.
Also a marathon plus for the rear of the commuter.  Again.  How bloody much?  :o

Yes, I know I should have gone on the interweb, but that wouldn't have involved a ten mile round trip ride to the lbs, would it?   8)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4138 on: 24 August, 2014, 12:11:00 am »
A rack for the not so new bike (Topeak) and Hope f&r quick releases for the same bike; the existing Planet X weight-weenie QRs can release the rear wheel when I apply the immense power that I'm capable of*.
This has almost resulted in sudden and unintended dismounts while clipped in since the rear wheel jams ........

*Whatever  ::-)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #4139 on: 30 August, 2014, 12:30:34 pm »
Trying flatter / closer bars due to neck problems; Fleegle bars for the Pompino to replace the original Midge bars, plus grips and levers to suit.

« Reply #4140 on: 30 August, 2014, 12:41:50 pm »
A pair of silicone grips with gold lock rings.
A gold seatpost qr clamp.
A pair of gold wheel qrs.

Can't decide on a black or gold bash ring, or neither and hope I don't hit the ring on anything, especially skin!

Tart, me?
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4141 on: 04 September, 2014, 02:40:33 pm »
A pile of stuff for my Brompton

Including a new Son Dynamo, edilux headlight and rear light.

Now I'm travelling from home to brum for work the Brompton's getting a lot more use so the lighting needed upgrading.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #4142 on: 04 September, 2014, 04:16:37 pm »
a carradice bag clamp for the ringless saddle on my folder

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4143 on: 04 September, 2014, 05:15:18 pm »
a mavic freehub body to replace the current one which approaches the end of it's life after all the coasting in the past four years.

« Reply #4144 on: 04 September, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »
A new B17. A world traveller special edition with copper rails and rivets. It is a thing of beauty. Seems almost too nice to put my bottom on!

I'll be happy to break it in for you if you like.   :D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4145 on: 05 September, 2014, 09:45:55 am »
A Klickfix mount and basket for my wife's new hybrid. Her post-holiday resolution is to cycle to the (local) places to which she would normally drive :-).
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4146 on: 05 September, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »
shimano 105 triple chainset, a pair of carbon bottle cages and few odds and sods from edinburgh bicycle sale.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #4147 on: 05 September, 2014, 10:30:46 pm »
On-One have sale on their Fatty Fatbike frame, so I just happened to buy one + a fork + a headset + bung
and a Merino cyclingjacket.

My bank will so hate me  :smug:

« Reply #4148 on: 06 September, 2014, 07:37:13 am »

I'll be happy to break it in for you if you like.   :D

Thanks :thumbsup:  doesn't need it though. Did 50km on it yesterday and it's the most comfortable saddle I've owned!!!!!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4149 on: 06 September, 2014, 08:09:03 am »
On-One have sale on their Fatty Fatbike frame, so I just happened to buy one + a fork + a headset + bung
and a Merino cyclingjacket.

My bank will so hate me  :smug:

Enjoy it!!

In the same sale I've just got a spare pair of tyres for my fatbike, at less than £20 each, it's a bargain!