Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874831 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4200 on: 28 October, 2014, 12:56:34 pm »
This means that of the original bike I've now replaced, roughly in order, the pedals/saddle/bottom bracket/barends/bars/seatpost/brakes/cables/drivetrain (after several chain, cassette and/or chainring swaps)/rear wheel.  Remaining from the original bike, winter 2009, are the frame, forks, stem, shifters, brake levers and front wheel.  Oh, and the rack and mudguards.

I think that puts it in the same category as my Discovery (from which I believe you have the original handlebars).  Frame, forks, shifters, front mech, levers, brakes and bell are original.  The rear rack was fitted at point of sale.  Everything else has been swapped, I think.

I've no particular love of the frame or (especially) forks, either.  They were just a correctly-sized platform around which the right combination of really low gears were attached when I bought it.

« Reply #4201 on: 28 October, 2014, 04:34:55 pm »
yes a set of dura ace bar end shifters off ebay brand new in the box :)

« Reply #4202 on: 28 October, 2014, 05:40:35 pm »
This means that of the original bike I've now replaced, roughly in order, the pedals/saddle/bottom bracket/barends/bars/seatpost/brakes/cables/drivetrain (after several chain, cassette and/or chainring swaps)/rear wheel.  Remaining from the original bike, winter 2009, are the frame, forks, stem, shifters, brake levers and front wheel.  Oh, and the rack and mudguards.

I think that puts it in the same category as my Discovery (from which I believe you have the original handlebars).  Frame, forks, shifters, front mech, levers, brakes and bell are original.  The rear rack was fitted at point of sale.  Everything else has been swapped, I think.

My hybrid's still got its original (to me - it was old when I bought it!) frame (not fork), front mech, shifters...and I think that's it. The frame's knackered, too!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4203 on: 29 October, 2014, 10:28:36 am »
A couple of rolls of good quality gaffer tape and some valve stems  - Pugsley's gonna be going tubeless.

I also need to get some appropriate sealant but it needs to be latex-free, which seems to be limiting my options somewhat.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4204 on: 29 October, 2014, 11:25:57 am »

My hybrid's still got its original (to me - it was old when I bought it!) frame (not fork), front mech, shifters...and I think that's it. The frame's knackered, too!

The Towpath Bike retains only the Trek 4300 frame from the machine purchased to replace the old 930 that was killed utterly to DETH when Miss von Brandenburg piled it into the back of a taxi.  Though the rear light was previously fitted to said 930.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4205 on: 30 October, 2014, 01:28:48 pm »
A bunch of different size and strength magnets, plus some M5*30mm bolts and matching nylock nuts, all from Clas Ohlson.  This was the first time I have been in one since my aborted attempt at working in Norway.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4206 on: 30 October, 2014, 01:51:14 pm »
A set of SKS mudguards, a 12-32 cassette and a pair of Vittoria Open Pave to fit to the newly acquired (and yet to be put together fully) Genesis Equilibrium, though I'll give the fitted Continental Grand Sport Race ones a try first.  A nice neat touch on the Genesis - the "box of bits" with the various reflectors they didn't fit plus sundry literature also included a neat little tube of the "acid yellow" paint that the frame is finished in.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #4207 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:28:55 pm »
A rear wheel. Mavic rim on XT hub to match my dynohub wheel. Shiny! (in a matt / brushed aluminium sort of way).

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4208 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:43:38 pm »
Well you can all call me Imelda from now on.

3 pairs of cycling shoes arrived today.

Well, 1 pair of shoes, 1 pair of winter boots and 1 pair of sandals.  I am sure that is the only time anyone has ordered winter boots and sandals together - winter is coming and I fancy trying some boots this year (Northwave Celcius things) and winter is coming and we're fecking off out of this cold and damp island, so a pair of Shimano SPD sandals is the order of the day.  They are really heavy!  I didn't expect that.  Does anyone do a carbon fibre soled sandal????  I think I will suggest it to Bont.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4209 on: 07 November, 2014, 06:18:47 am »
Rollers. Just so's I can fall off indoors in the winter.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4210 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:12:45 am »
A couple of tubeless conversion kits and some latex-free sealant.

Decided to pull the trigger and do tubeless conversions on the green Genesis and the El Mariachi - however, since these both have 'normal' sized wheels I can do the job 'properly' rather than go down the ghetto tubeless gaffer-tape route I'm having to take with Pugsley, at least until Stan's and their ilk do proper rim strips and whatnot for fatties.

Time will tell if I eventually do the Croix de Fer - not much point at the moment since I haven't (re)built the front wheel yet.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4211 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:26:32 am »
Will be interested to hear how you get on with tubeless. I'm still not entirely sold on its merits for road bikes.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4212 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:49:29 am »
Will be interested to hear how you get on with tubeless. I'm still not entirely sold on its merits for road bikes.
Neither am I, which is why the Croix will remain unmolested. For now, at least.

Going tubeless on the Pugsley will shed about 1lb off each wheel - the stock Surly tubes are durable, but they ain't light. The gains on the other two MTBs are rather more marginal, but there's plenty of evidence that tubeless makes sense for endurance off-road riding.

« Reply #4213 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:51:03 am »
A pair of 'get me home' LEDs lights - surprisingly the front one is bright enough to see by, at my commuting home pottering pace, on the mile of unlit road I ride when commuting. Very impressed  with the Lezyne  ali bodied LED lights - £20 for 2.
& a couple of tacx bottle cages for the fortitude.
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

tiermat

« Reply #4214 on: 10 November, 2014, 03:12:54 pm »
Today I bought a Camelbak Podium bottle, a Specialized pump for the bike and two pairs of BaaBaa merino socks, in all it only cost me £5, due to a recent Groupon offer (a £20 voucher for £10).

If I had been a bit more flush I would have walked out with a new Whyte Suffolk, too as they have them at a LARGE discount at the new Leeds shop!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4215 on: 10 November, 2014, 03:22:37 pm »
100 x M5 *12mm stainless bottle cage / mudguard bolts and washers. from eBay for the price of 6 stainless bolts from my local car parts store!
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

tiermat

« Reply #4216 on: 10 November, 2014, 03:33:57 pm »
100 x M5 *12mm stainless bottle cage / mudguard bolts and washers. from eBay for the price of 6 stainless bolts from my local car parts store!

Ripon Engineering or Boltmeup are my usual source of such things, both on bay of e.

In an emergency Clas Ohlson are cheaper than Charlie Browns/Halfords et al, but more expensive than those two^

« Reply #4217 on: 12 November, 2014, 10:35:46 am »
more stuff from the bay, Hope BB ceramic brand new, jagwire gear & brake cable plus all the fiddly bits, bar tape can't remember the make BBB I think, I have my eye on a hope seat clamp, just the wheels to sort out now :) oh and crank set. 

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4218 on: 12 November, 2014, 10:46:21 am »
more stuff from the bay, Hope BB ceramic brand new, jagwire gear & brake cable plus all the fiddly bits, bar tape can't remember the make BBB I think, I have my eye on a hope seat clamp, just the wheels to sort out now :) oh and crank set.
I wouldn't bother. Really.
Unless they've changed the design recently, the clamp bolt is alloy and frighteningly easy to strip. Get yourself a Thomson seatpost clamp - cheaper and far more robust than Hope's offering.

Today I bought a 12T lockring - I discovered somewhat belatedly that the one I fitted to Pugsley was 11T and hence the Wrong Size for the spacers I'm using.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4219 on: 12 November, 2014, 07:22:12 pm »
I've ordered my tightest and most expensive ever piece of lycra.  No, it's not made by Rapha. 

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4220 on: 13 November, 2014, 08:05:59 pm »
No but it took a supreme effort of will not to buy one of those gorgeous Harris Tweed Carradice bags.
Milk please, no sugar.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4221 on: 14 November, 2014, 06:43:23 am »
Yesterday, some flat bars and bar ends fitted as part of her last free-in-the-first-year service  (it was meant to be Ergon GP5s with integrated grips but the installation proved problematic so ended up with a creative hack and a hefty discount) for the tandem which felt a million times better on the ride home.  I should have trusted my instincts and gone for that combo to start with a year ago!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4222 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:17:28 am »
A Tacx iPad handlebar mount for turbo/roller sessions. Though I do quite fancy trying a Sufferfest session on the road!! Or watching a movie while riding. Headphones dangerous? You haven't seen the half of it....! ;) ;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4223 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:26:00 pm »
A "Gear Up Lean Machine" Gravity Rack. I'm hoping this should free up a bit of room :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4224 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:43:43 pm »
Most contemporary ceiling heights are 7' 6" or thereabouts in UK.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain