Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874850 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4225 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:57:56 pm »
I missed the description height on the website :-[

I was looking at the video review which stated 84" high which should fit (yes I have 7'6" ceilings). This also seems to be the measurement on most websites selling it. I'll have to see which is correct :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4226 on: 14 November, 2014, 11:40:06 pm »
If size is really a problem, you could always buy from FatBirds instead - they're selling the dollshouse version at only 8in high.

« Reply #4227 on: 16 November, 2014, 09:16:18 pm »
A new track pump (a Topeak Joe Blow Sport) to replace my tired old Blackburn pump. I reckon I had it for ten years, I shan't complain.

And three SRAM PC-1 chains for the fixed fleet.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4228 on: 16 November, 2014, 10:25:54 pm »
A Dave Yates frame off of that Ebay. It's destined for dirty fixer duties.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4229 on: 16 November, 2014, 10:31:20 pm »
n+1. ;D

Well, technically not really: I'd been looking for a new fixed frame for a while, as mine is a bit on the small side. However, I ended up getting a whole bike: I'm now the owner of a second-hand Genesis Flyer.

Since I'll be transferring my old handlebars across from the old frame (the ones on there are 44cm, which is much wider than I'm used to), I'm wondering what bar tape to use. Bike looks like this:

I have some black/green/purple splash tape in my collection. I'm very tempted... :demon:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4230 on: 17 November, 2014, 10:56:17 am »
A Dave Yates frame off of that Ebay. It's destined for dirty fixer duties.

If it's the one I was looking at, it looks like a good one, hopefully with no crack/rust in the stays!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4231 on: 17 November, 2014, 11:23:03 am »
A 661 Wrist Wrap Pro, as recommended by a couple of the gravity fiends at the LBS.

I've been given the OK to ride providing I'm 'sensible' (consultant's words, not mine  :demon:) with the warning that if I (re)break my scaphoid again then there will be surgery and I will end up rocking a titanium screw in my wrist. In reality, this probably means sticking to the turbo for a while plus the occasional ride to Thee Pubbe or the LBS.

ETA: Also a new chain and cassette for the Croix de Fer - as I suspected, the existing chain is completely mullered after 10 weeks in the shed with nothing in the way of TLC.

« Reply #4232 on: 17 November, 2014, 11:52:47 am »
A 661 Wrist Wrap Pro, as recommended by a couple of the gravity fiends at the LBS.

I've been given the OK to ride providing I'm 'sensible' (consultant's words, not mine  :demon:) with the warning that if I (re)break my scaphoid again then there will be surgery and I will end up rocking a titanium screw in my wrist. In reality, this probably means sticking to the turbo for a while plus the occasional ride to Thee Pubbe or the LBS.

ETA: Also a new chain and cassette for the Croix de Fer - as I suspected, the existing chain is completely mullered after 10 weeks in the shed with nothing in the way of TLC.

Good news about  getting the OK for 'sensible' riding..  :) enjoy the occasional  and 'sensible' rides...  ;D
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #4233 on: 17 November, 2014, 07:02:27 pm »
I've been given the OK to ride providing I'm 'sensible'

Hey! Good news!
Good luck with the being sensible thing...

« Reply #4234 on: 18 November, 2014, 01:39:17 pm »
A 46t chainring (one of the Brev cheapies - it's green!) for the Genesis, because 48x18 is a bit high for me and it actually worked out better value to get a new chainring, rather than a new sprocket!

« Reply #4235 on: 18 November, 2014, 10:33:33 pm »
Carradice Duxback rain cape (though can't find a label telling me who made it, boo!) and some pedal reflectors. I'd forgotten the faintly greasy feel of waxed cotton, but am looking forward to not getting soaked next time it's chucking it down on the commute.

« Reply #4236 on: 19 November, 2014, 05:31:27 pm »
Roofbars for the scenic, and it's faintly cycling related cos it now means that when taking the tandem to places the delightful Mary can actually sit in the car next to me rather than in the back or in the other car.

I don't have any sort of carrier just a faint plan about lying the bike flat on the rack and lashing it down, that way I can keep the height of the car down for ferrys and car parks and such.

d.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #4237 on: 20 November, 2014, 03:19:14 pm »
A GoPro 3 plus a mount. I can now film myself and bore the tits off other people showing them the footage :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #4238 on: 20 November, 2014, 04:01:20 pm »
nothing exciting just brake blocks for the folder and some bar ends to give the Mary Bars on the other bike that 'Jones Bar looK'

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4239 on: 20 November, 2014, 10:29:04 pm »
Roofbars for the scenic, and it's faintly cycling related cos it now means that when taking the tandem to places the delightful Mary can actually sit in the car next to me rather than in the back or in the other car.

I don't have any sort of carrier just a faint plan about lying the bike flat on the rack and lashing it down, that way I can keep the height of the car down for ferrys and car parks and such.

d.

Twisting the stoker bars through 90 degrees is often a thing to do in such situations. Also possibly removing the roof side pedals. Pipe lagging is your paintwork's friend.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4240 on: 22 November, 2014, 12:24:20 am »

I was looking at the video review which stated 84" high which should fit (yes I have 7'6" ceilings). This also seems to be the measurement on most websites selling it. I'll have to see which is correct :-\

Not put it together yet but it arrived today (got stuck with a neighbour who I kept missing). Instructions say 84" which should be 7' not 8' and should fit in the room :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4241 on: 22 November, 2014, 07:29:50 am »
Would be interested in feedback on that stand when you get it assembled - I'm thinking about getting something like that to facilitate n+1 storage. :demon:

« Reply #4242 on: 22 November, 2014, 10:10:00 am »

Not put it together yet but it arrived today (got stuck with a neighbour who I kept missing). Instructions say 84" which should be 7' not 8' and should fit in the room :)

Ah that makes more sense, good stuff.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4243 on: 22 November, 2014, 03:58:56 pm »
A Surly Cross Check frame, plus the sundry other bits required to turn it into a proper fixed-gear 'cross bike.

It's a bit orange. In fact, it's oranger than both my Salsa El Mariachi and my old Genesis Day One  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4244 on: 22 November, 2014, 06:27:03 pm »
Some Northwave Katana shoes. Because they're black and purple, and I liked them.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4245 on: 30 November, 2014, 05:45:28 pm »
Just ordered a new pair of Assos winter longs.
The zip on my trusty old pair broke this morning :-(

I think I'll take them into the alterations / fixit shop in town.   
They have replaced zips on some of my stuff before, and they make a much tidier job than I could.
They can be a backup pair, as they also have a hole in the knee from an 'off' a few years back.

« Reply #4246 on: 01 December, 2014, 09:34:12 am »
ok so put me money where me mouth is and clicked on buy it now on some bb7's from Taiwan the other day, well they've turned up and as far as I can tell they're genuine so complete with 140 disc free postage all fittings and fixings I can't really see why anyone would want to buy the stuff at double the price from anywhere in the UK, also picked up a cyclus wheel truing stand as far as I can tell they aren't made any more well since about 2010 but when they were the would set you back around £220 + I paid £50 so well chuffed, it's in perfect condition no rust or anything, for those that don't know it's the same set up as the park ts2.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4247 on: 01 December, 2014, 10:04:00 am »
ok so put me money where me mouth is and clicked on buy it now on some bb7's from Taiwan the other day, well they've turned up and as far as I can tell they're genuine so complete with 140 disc free postage all fittings and fixings I can't really see why anyone would want to buy the stuff at double the price from anywhere in the UK
I can't imagine why anyone would buy BB7s at all, but that's just me.

I myself have pulled the trigger on a pair of On-One's gravel tyres for the Cross Check, albeit after much soul-searching and procrastination (alternatives were WTB Nano 40s, albeit with wire bead, or spend twice as much per tyre on Surly Knards). Time will tell if they're any good, but if they're anything like the 29er slicks that currently adorn the singlespeed then I have high hopes.

Also, some decent cartridge brake pads (the stock pads on Avid SD5s are awful) and enough brake outer to last me 'til the heat death of the universe and possibly beyond.

« Reply #4248 on: 01 December, 2014, 05:28:02 pm »
ok so put me money where me mouth is and clicked on buy it now on some bb7's from Taiwan the other day, well they've turned up and as far as I can tell they're genuine so complete with 140 disc free postage all fittings and fixings I can't really see why anyone would want to buy the stuff at double the price from anywhere in the UK
I can't imagine why anyone would buy BB7s at all, but that's just me.

I myself have pulled the trigger on a pair of On-One's gravel tyres for the Cross Check, albeit after much soul-searching and procrastination (alternatives were WTB Nano 40s, albeit with wire bead, or spend twice as much per tyre on Surly Knards). Time will tell if they're any good, but if they're anything like the 29er slicks that currently adorn the singlespeed then I have high hopes.

Also, some decent cartridge brake pads (the stock pads on Avid SD5s are awful) and enough brake outer to last me 'til the heat death of the universe and possibly beyond.

what cable disc brakes would you spend your pennies on ?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4249 on: 01 December, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »
what cable disc brakes would you spend your pennies on ?
It depends - if it was for a mountain bike then I'd get hydraulics, and my less-than-favourable experiences with BB7s are what sent me down that route in the first place. For a road/'cross bike there's enough choice now that BB7s aren't the only show in town.

That said, I've been very impressed with the Hayes CX Expert (the brake formerly known as the CX-5) brakes on my Croix de Fer. I had a pair on my old Surly 1x1 and despite being touted as 'cyclocross brakes' they were fine for technical off-road using 180mm rotors and sintered pads - I run 180(f) and 160(r) on the Croix and there's more than enough stopping power even for a lump like me.