Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 875444 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4675 on: 16 September, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »
cycling chinos

The conjunction of those two words troubles me.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4676 on: 18 September, 2015, 03:54:44 pm »
A new anti-rain jacket, at long last. The old one can do for windproof duties, but I'm going to give up on using it any time there's a threat of more than slight dampness in the air.

Evans has some good deals online, cheaper than their shop sale prices. I was near the shop today & tried on what I was thinking of buying, then bought it (in a colour not in stock in the shop) for over 25% less than the same garment costs in the shop - & will pick it up from the shop on Monday.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4677 on: 19 September, 2015, 04:44:53 pm »
Well it'll be extremely bright ;D

I bought a Carradice Super C rack bag last night (the curse of being able to order things from your phone late at night - I think the wilpower to resist buying things wanes when you're tired). I've finally given up on trying to persuade the zips to stay connected up on my 4 year old carradura rack bag* and wanted something more waterproof/durable.

*Almost daily use for commuting and commonly overstuffing won't have helped

Arrived today. It's a 'Kelly':D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4678 on: 20 September, 2015, 02:42:10 pm »
Yesterday, actually: a spare 12-30 cassette and a Dura-Ace bottom bracket (because it wasn't much more than the cheaper version).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4679 on: 20 September, 2015, 03:39:56 pm »
If coffee counts as cycling stuff, yes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4680 on: 20 September, 2015, 04:10:27 pm »
A slide rule.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4681 on: 21 September, 2015, 08:27:13 pm »
Oh dear the slippery slope. It will be log books tables next
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4682 on: 21 September, 2015, 08:51:23 pm »
Nowt wrong with log tables.   At least I could read the bloody things...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4683 on: 25 September, 2015, 12:03:23 pm »
It's been an expensive week at Bunbury Towers.

A 3T Funda fork for the TT bike, because the old one broke.  Secondhand, thank goodness.

A set of Chorus brakes for the road bike, because the old ones are getting old, worn out and wobbly.

A set of Tektro mini Vs for the cx/winter bike, because I'm sick of constantly tinkering with the cantis to (try to) avoid squeal and judder. 

A couple of chains that were going cheap at CRC while I was buying brakes. 

[EDIT: And now I remember that the road bike also needs a new headset.  I think I'd better stop eating for a week  ::-) ]

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #4684 on: 28 September, 2015, 10:33:03 am »
Some Giro Factor ACC shoes to try the whole not spd road pedal thing (if they fit!). For the boy a new Islabike Beinn 20 large as he is now too big for the Cnoc, what a lucky little sod he is!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4685 on: 28 September, 2015, 05:55:22 pm »
a frameset to replace the one of my runabout bike, which threaded fork steerer isn't that threaded anymore.

« Reply #4686 on: 30 September, 2015, 10:37:27 pm »
Ordered my new road bike for racing next year getting a pinnacle Dolomite 4 should be here the Saturday after next

« Reply #4687 on: 01 October, 2015, 02:05:18 pm »
A Cyclo pedal spanner (yes John!) and some dual compound Kool Stop inserts.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4688 on: 01 October, 2015, 02:10:54 pm »
A Cyclo pedal spanner (yes John!) and some dual compound Kool Stop inserts.

;D  ;D  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4689 on: 06 October, 2015, 08:31:18 am »
A pair of Hirzl long fingered gloves (I have had to admit that my Spesh BG long finger gloves have, finally, died!) and new watch (A Spinnaker) and couple of trekmate long sleeve merino base layers.  One can never have too many merino base layers! :)

All from Sportpursuit, so pretty decent prices.

I did receive an email, yesterday, saying that my fibreflares are not in stock, so they won't arrive until next week. :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4690 on: 06 October, 2015, 10:21:35 am »
Not today, actually on Friday, but it's all been put into action today.

A new 44 tooth chainring, SRAM PC1 chain and Sturmey-Archer 22T Freewheel, for my commuter.

I tend to abuse the drive train on the commuter horribly, so it doesn't last as long as it should.  The freewheel only lasted a couple of years, just over 10000 miles.  The chainring and chain were older, and since the total cost of the above was £35, that's not too bad at under 0.35p per mile (or alternatively it is under 9p for a days commute 1, which certainly beats the Tube and Tram!)

Footnote [1] OK, I haven't counted wear and tear on the frame, brake blocks, tyres, inner tubes, bar tape, racks, panniers, and cycling clothes, all of which need periodic replacement too.  That total would still be a lot less than the £7-50 if I used public transport.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4691 on: 07 October, 2015, 04:47:04 pm »
A new bottle cage.  Because I finally worked out what the intermittent buzzing noise was.

« Reply #4692 on: 07 October, 2015, 05:02:38 pm »
Some overshoe cycling gaiter things, because the rain running into your shoes is no fun.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaude-Bike-Gaiter-short-VAUDE/dp/B003MWQIPE
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #4693 on: 08 October, 2015, 07:33:14 pm »
A new SON dynohub turned up in the post. Now I need to start thinking about rims & spokes.

Top Top.  SJS sometimes list items on their forum for sale. This has been laced into a wheel but not used, and was bought with a pleasant chunk off the list price.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4694 on: 09 October, 2015, 04:41:48 pm »
The fibre flares arrived today, just need to fit them, now.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #4695 on: 09 October, 2015, 07:32:06 pm »
Picked up the new ride! Instagram piccy from Condor but I will break out the camera and do my own soon. Its beautiful and the ride is amazing, feels like I could ride it forever!

https://instagram.com/p/8mzgvtq-Bh/?taken-by=condorcycles

« Reply #4696 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:08:51 am »
Picked up the new ride! Instagram piccy from Condor but I will break out the camera and do my own soon. Its beautiful and the ride is amazing, feels like I could ride it forever!

https://instagram.com/p/8mzgvtq-Bh/?taken-by=condorcycles

Lovely! :thumbsup:

« Reply #4697 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:14:39 am »
A couple of Open Pro rims, because I'm sick of breaking wheels with low spoke counts so I've decided to resurrect my old 36-hole wheelset and attempt some rim transplants. :o

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4698 on: 12 October, 2015, 10:01:56 pm »
had two(!) punctures on my runabout bike today and realised that tyres are well past their decommission date. couple of replacement tyres bought (michelin lithion 2 reinforced)

« Reply #4699 on: 12 October, 2015, 10:09:36 pm »
A couple of Open Pro rims, because I'm sick of breaking wheels with low spoke counts so I've decided to resurrect my old 36-hole wheelset and attempt some rim transplants. :o
My Open Pros are 32 hole, & I haven't broken a wheel yet. Bent a rim wall* dropping my front wheel into a pothole once (instant blowout), & apart from that the wheel was more or less OK. A touch of truing. LBS said rim wasn't too bad to straighten, & did it. The spokes are all still fine.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897