Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877006 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4725 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:08:43 pm »
559 from Practical Cycles. HK wears out rims on her bad weather commuter MTB at a fair rate of knots.
Thank you !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4726 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:46:30 pm »
Took delivery of some replacement Rainlegs today.
Black, not *Denim* seeing as you ask.
Not quite sure why I elected to try them on.
It's not raining.
I'm indoors.
They are the same size as the last pair  ???

« Reply #4727 on: 21 November, 2015, 01:26:35 pm »
A new pair of Rudy Project Rydons as my current pair have a broken arm & they don't seem interested in selling me spare parts. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4728 on: 21 November, 2015, 01:57:35 pm »
Bare metal Brommie is in Warlands Cycles for collection, all I have to do is hide from Barbara til Santa drops it down the chimney on Christmas Day  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4729 on: 21 November, 2015, 02:12:44 pm »
The great thing about Bromptons is that they're relatively easy to hide...   ;D

« Reply #4730 on: 21 November, 2015, 02:14:25 pm »
It will solve problems that's for sure  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4731 on: 21 November, 2015, 06:21:19 pm »
Picked up HK's trike frame and looking forward to building it up over the next week. Dropped my trike frame off for some metalwork that'll finally let me cover some worthwhile distances on it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4732 on: 22 November, 2015, 04:44:46 pm »
Just scored an Arkel Tailrider on eBay for 45 quid.  A worthy successor to my Carradice Prima, whose zips are on borrowed time.

« Reply #4733 on: 23 November, 2015, 06:54:59 am »
Wiggo probably has :o

Sir Bradley Wiggins discusses his classic bike collection

Bikes have changed so much, they’re space-age now. I was chatting with Eddy Merckx about the Hour Record and the bicycle, how it’s changed, the wheels, the skinsuits, the helmets… I still love the traditional side of the bike. That’s why I was so in love with the bikes in the mid-90s...  ..They still look like bikes, but they are all space-age now. They are slowly drifting away from that traditional bike because of speed and aerodynamics.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/exclusive-sir-bradley-wiggins-discusses-his-classic-bike-collection-200546#aRPFsMYJlR4745y3.99
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

« Reply #4734 on: 23 November, 2015, 08:33:16 am »
Two new inner tubes should arrive, today, for my fixer-up. A slow-enough-to-be-a-nightmare-to-find-but-fast-enough-to-be-a-*&(&(*&-nuisance leak in the back one prompted me to buy a pair. I'll keep the old ones as emergency spares.

The leak is probably the valve but I'll change that later. For now I haven't got a core extractor and I didn't go anywhere, over the weekend, to get one. Mrs Cyclist went into Shaftesbury but I couldn't be bothered to ask her to get one. She can operate all of the 'machines that go ping' and all of the hand tools for patching up broken skin and bones in hospitals yet, perversely, grasping technological ideas that do not involve fixing people is not her strong point. I suspect it's just an act.

Added at 11:35 -

Tubes duly arrived - Slime ones for the winter (hope I'm not being too optimistic) complete with valve core extractors moulded into the dust caps.  Where I'll be doing a lot of my riding is Where The Sharp Things Are.

Weight (checked by hand) is a little heavier than I'd expected but I'm not too worried about that.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4735 on: 23 November, 2015, 11:50:22 am »
Do bear in mind that there's around 50g of sealant in a slime tube...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4736 on: 23 November, 2015, 12:24:24 pm »
Do bear in mind that there's around 50g of sealant in a slime tube...

No worries - there's around 20 to 25kg of excess stuffing in me. I'll soon, hopefully, make up for the 0.1kg or so I've added to the bike. 
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #4737 on: 23 November, 2015, 12:49:53 pm »
Just scored an Arkel Tailrider on eBay for 45 quid.  A worthy successor to my Carradice Prima, whose zips are on borrowed time.

That was a huge bargain.
We have one and it's way way better than anything Carradice have ever produced. For a start, you can't do weight training with them when they're empty.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4738 on: 23 November, 2015, 01:10:21 pm »

That was a huge bargain.

Indeed!  I didn't think I'd win it.

We have one and it's way way better than anything Carradice have ever produced. For a start, you can't do weight training with them when they're empty.

The Prima was an excellent piece of luggage, on account of having sensible pockets, and having better zips and being somewhat less fugly than the wedge-shaped "Carradura Rack Bag" that replaced it.  Not insanely heavy, due to not being proper Carradice.  But sadly after a couple of rounds of velcro replacement, mine's fraying around the zips and they don't make them any more. :(

The Tailrider has pockets for stuff, an aerodynamic shape and is rumoured to be hand-stitched by Canadians in lumberjack shirts.  What's not to like?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4739 on: 23 November, 2015, 01:36:44 pm »
Wiggo probably has :o

Sir Bradley Wiggins discusses his classic bike collection

Bikes have changed so much, they’re space-age now. I was chatting with Eddy Merckx about the Hour Record and the bicycle, how it’s changed, the wheels, the skinsuits, the helmets… I still love the traditional side of the bike. That’s why I was so in love with the bikes in the mid-90s...  ..They still look like bikes, but they are all space-age now. They are slowly drifting away from that traditional bike because of speed and aerodynamics.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/exclusive-sir-bradley-wiggins-discusses-his-classic-bike-collection-200546#aRPFsMYJlR4745y3.99

I'm more interested that he's wearing a Joy Division t-shirt.  It seems that as well as his love of mod rock, he has a sideline in post-punk?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4740 on: 23 November, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »
I guess we're not going to see Wiggo at Battle Mountain any time soon chiz.  Fancy a bike with a CO2 meter connected to the video system, Sir Bradders?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4741 on: 23 November, 2015, 02:12:31 pm »
Some Grand Prix tyres, front hub and mini V-brakes for HK's shiny new machine. Standard V-brakes were a touch too long. It might be in a rideable condition by the end of next weekend, with the aid of a borrowed front wheel.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #4742 on: 24 November, 2015, 11:08:06 pm »
A new pair of Rudy Project Rydons as my current pair have a broken arm & they don't seem interested in selling me spare parts.
I tried to get some replacement bits and got ignored for several weeks before giving up. I guess they're not quite as in to the 'customisation/replacement parts' as they pretend to be.

Stuffs wot arrived while I was away:
Genesis Day One Disc (for commuting)
Vision chainset; TT brake levers and saddle.
Pointy hat to replace the ever-so-tightly-fitting and not-quite-as-pointy one that rubbed the skin away from between my ears and my skull on this years MR24.
knee warmers and mitts (for this autumn/next summer
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4743 on: 28 November, 2015, 08:29:49 pm »
Couple of Aldi's winter weight* cycling tops in a lovely sky blue, knocked down from a tenner to a fiver each.

*For my money more like spring/autumn weight, but that's OK by me.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4744 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:08:32 pm »
in the last week and a bit....

2 x s/h blue led rear lights off ctc forum  £7.50 posted
Raceface XO seatpost  s/h  £12 posted  e-blag for Jess
2 x Schwalbe Spicer 700 x 30  for jess from 'next day tyres' £27 posted
pair wellgo 823 spd s/h NOS £11 posted e-blag
Tin proofide 40g £6.99 wiggle (was £11.99 but they price matched)
DHB mtb 1 shoes wiggle   £28 ish.

« Reply #4745 on: 02 December, 2015, 12:08:37 am »
Mmm, shutter precision sv,9 arrived on Monday and has been mated with Killin 31T from shed via 24 radially oriented Sarum Laser spokes.

Hope Mono RS rear in black expected tomorrow to lace to Killin 31T OC via 14 Sapim Laser and 14 Race spokes. And a stages 105 crank for power monitoring duties.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4746 on: 02 December, 2015, 10:38:41 am »
Selle Anatomica X-series at $60 off list price.  Will have to add lacing but that's trivial.

Now hoping customs will be gentle with me.  Last one I bought S-A declared a value of $1.50 and it went through OK. Fingers crossed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4747 on: 02 December, 2015, 05:38:07 pm »
After starting in Spain and taking a trip to Belgium on the way over, my new Garmin 30x arrived today :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4748 on: 02 December, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »
a pair of genuine Sram disc pads  :o

&

a Topeak pro 20 multitool, in GOLD  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4749 on: 02 December, 2015, 09:29:00 pm »
Emergency trip to the bike shop to buy a Kurbelabzieher (pedal removal tool) as we were completely unable to remove the old pedal as the first stage of fitting the electric motor to my trike (yes, I am now old and lazy).

Fortunately the bike shop sold one that fit for 6,99€.

Got home, used it successfully, and then found I had one in my new toolkit. So now I have two. Handy.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk