Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 876931 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4750 on: 02 December, 2015, 09:34:37 pm »
You'll be able to remove both pedals simultaneously in future, thus saving time.  :)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4751 on: 02 December, 2015, 10:04:01 pm »
A pair of 105 hub 36 spoke wheels from Herr Rose for less than it was going to cost to respoke a pair of basic hub 32 spokers - downside is that I then added a further £70 of "stuff that I need" on the basis of amortising the delivery cost ??? - in reality the exchange rate makes everything from the Fatherland very good value

Rob

« Reply #4752 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:11:03 am »
You'll be able to remove both pedals simultaneously in future, thus saving time.  :)

Only if one's a Linkskurbelabzieher and the other's a Rechtskurbelabzieher.

I love the way Germans string short words together to make huge almost incomprehensible ones. With language constructs like that did they really need Enigma machines? How do they expect incoming foreign nationals to find the kreisverwaltungsreferat to register?
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4753 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:47:23 pm »
I love the way Germans string short words together to make huge almost incomprehensible ones. With language constructs like that did they really need Enigma machines? How do they expect incoming foreign nationals to find the kreisverwaltungsreferat to register?

Germans and Java programmers.  But at least the language that gave us constructs like "AbstractSingletonProxyFactoryBean" and "Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();" is slightly easier to read.

I seem equally proficient at generating NullPointerExceptions in both languages...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4754 on: 03 December, 2015, 02:13:04 pm »

Easy: it's in the Einbahnstraße.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4755 on: 08 December, 2015, 07:20:47 pm »
A shiny On One head badge arrived this morning.

It's rather pretty, better than the crappy black sticker it's replacing.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4756 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:54:35 pm »
Finally got around to ordering my new GPS.

Shall go and pick it up tomorrow.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #4757 on: 09 December, 2015, 04:28:43 pm »

Is that a 'His' or 'Hers' flavour GPS?

;)

(For a value of clue, see here and following posts)

tiermat

« Reply #4758 on: 09 December, 2015, 04:31:20 pm »

Is that a 'His' or 'Hers' flavour GPS?

;)

(For a value of clue, see here and following posts)

MINE! :)

PS: I got what you meant, straight away!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #4759 on: 10 December, 2015, 01:32:10 pm »
Picked it up today, oooo, the shiney....

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4760 on: 10 December, 2015, 04:32:50 pm »
Some Dura Ace bar end shifters for an eventual build

But don't tell the wife
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4761 on: 10 December, 2015, 05:02:30 pm »
Picked it up today, oooo, the shiney....

This can lead to all kinds of no good!

Next you'll be plotting routes and your mind will be drifting to matters Catalan and practising Spanish with a Yorkshire accent . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4762 on: 11 December, 2015, 01:20:24 pm »
ordered a titanium top cap From Kapz. It's a Yorkshire Rose with a gold bolt to match the head tube badge.

TART :-*
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4763 on: 11 December, 2015, 02:38:44 pm »
Saying nothing . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4764 on: 11 December, 2015, 04:28:46 pm »
A Schwalbe S-One Pro to replace the worn out GP4 Season on the rear of the Dirty Disco. The front tyre is still good for many more miles and so can dip only one toe in the tubeless water.
I also bought some flashy lights that mount onto the hub and make pretty patterns . It's about as seasonal as I'll get apart from the Christmas Decoration of Awesomeness which will be switched on for the 1st time on Sunday. It's going to adorn my bike for December's Chorlton Wander. Pictures may follow.

« Reply #4765 on: 11 December, 2015, 04:31:14 pm »
Saying nothing . . .

You don't need to.

My wife has already said it all  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4766 on: 11 December, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »
Took delivery of a Dahon folder for madame.  Looks like fun.  Wondering if I could justify taking it round the block just to make sure it's OK... but that would be dastardly, wouldn't it?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4767 on: 12 December, 2015, 12:16:37 pm »
It would be wrong to steal the first ride on someone else's pristine new bicycle, and thereby knock the shine off it.

It would be wrong to put your beloved at risk by encouraging them to take the first ride on an untested, and therefore potentially dangerous, new bicycle.

How you resolve mutually contradictory statements is entirely up to you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4768 on: 12 December, 2015, 12:29:35 pm »
Mechanic's prerogative, innit?

« Reply #4769 on: 12 December, 2015, 01:42:25 pm »
It would be wrong to steal the first ride on someone else's pristine new bicycle, and thereby knock the shine off it.

It would be wrong to put your beloved at risk by encouraging them to take the first ride on an untested, and therefore potentially dangerous, new bicycle.

How you resolve mutually contradictory statements is entirely up to you.

Flipping a coin can break a stalemate in contradictory choices. It's usually better to do something random than do nothing at all. (No-one irritates me more than a Mavis Riley impersonator).
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #4770 on: 13 December, 2015, 10:25:01 am »
Parcel arrived from wiggle at least I'll have one cycling related present to open on Christmas Day hope the haribos are in it as well

« Reply #4771 on: 22 December, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »
Just arrived, a Brooks Team Pro in Honey.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4772 on: 22 December, 2015, 01:59:01 pm »

Germans and Java programmers.  But at least the language that gave us constructs like "AbstractSingletonProxyFactoryBean" and "Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();" is slightly easier to read.

I seem equally proficient at generating NullPointerExceptions in both languages...

[goes looking for an Enigma emulator written in Java]

« Reply #4773 on: 02 January, 2016, 01:13:56 pm »
A set of Campagnolo Veloce caliper brakes on Thursday, from Geoffrey Butler cycles, so that I had a rear brake on the commuter for yesterday's "New Year's Day ride, WARTY-style".

Whilst it does the job, there is no adjustment left for the brake reach, and once the chain "stretches" a bit, I run the risk of the pads rubbing on the tyre.

So, I just ordered a set of Tektro R539s, off of eBay, which should have adequate reach coverage.

I'll put the Campags back into the spare bits box.  At £18 the pair, I'll still save money, the cost of public transport for a few days without brakes would be more!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #4774 on: 02 January, 2016, 01:25:19 pm »
16 oz of Pro Link lube from Evans. The last lot has lasted three years plus so represents good value.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain