Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877211 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4825 on: 09 March, 2016, 08:54:06 pm »
do new merino base layers count?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4826 on: 09 March, 2016, 11:39:39 pm »

I reckon so. That's the cycling-related thing I bought today, anyhow!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4827 on: 09 March, 2016, 11:46:23 pm »

I reckon so. That's the cycling-related thing I bought today, anyhow!

Since we don't have a "Binned any cycling stuff today?" thread, I suppose I could mention those as well.  A couple of my older ones had become holes tied together with string.  Should probably invest in some more at some point.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4828 on: 10 March, 2016, 12:01:17 pm »
Anyway, today I bought one of those gear hanger alignment tools.

Having tried to use one of those in the past, I'm of the opinion that you're better off just buying a replacement gear hanger (assuming your gear hanger is replaceable, of course).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4829 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »

Having tried to use one of those in the past, I'm of the opinion that you're better off just buying a replacement gear hanger (assuming your gear hanger is replaceable, of course).

Well yes.  They're for non-replacable steel hangers.  Cheesy alloy hangers are sacrificial.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4830 on: 14 March, 2016, 08:32:47 pm »
a pair of plane tickets and entries to this tour in italy

« Reply #4831 on: 14 March, 2016, 11:10:39 pm »

Well yes.  They're for non-replacable steel hangers.  Cheesy alloy hangers are sacrificial.
Steel hangers are usually replaceable in my experience. Requires the assistance of someone who has the tools & skills to separate the ruined hanger from the frame & stick a new one on (a process requiring enough heat to melt a bit of metal), & some new paint when it's all cooled down, but it's doable.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4832 on: 14 March, 2016, 11:36:04 pm »
One day I'll post a pic of me straightening alloy hangers and not breaking them . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4833 on: 14 March, 2016, 11:43:40 pm »
Steel hangers are usually replaceable in my experience. Requires the assistance of someone who has the tools & skills to separate the ruined hanger from the frame & stick a new one on (a process requiring enough heat to melt a bit of metal), & some new paint when it's all cooled down, but it's doable.  ;D

That's a bit like saying that with a dremel, a full SMD rework bench and a 3D printer to molish a new plastic case everything has user-serviceable parts inside...

(I've got an alloy hanger that I successfully straightened using vice and adjustable spanner tactics, but I don't really trust it and a new one was a few quid.)

« Reply #4834 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:28:08 am »
Not really, since the process I referred to amounts taking it to a professional with a properly equipped workshop. I don't think that saying that something's replaceable in those circumstances implies that it's user-serviceable.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4835 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:03:53 pm »
I'm quite good at straightening bent alloy hangers, with the caveat that everyone, without exception, gets to understand that I'm trying to bend something that shouldn't and that if it snaps or cracks it is simply doing its job and being sacrificial. If it breaks you're paying for a new one.

If you lock a 10mm axle into the hanger it makes an excellent pointer. The mech pivot needs to be in line with the rear axle. Slip an old handlebar over the pointer and bend. Gently but firmly. A bit at a time.

Don't ever try it without the wheel in the frame . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4836 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:17:34 am »
3 chainrings for the tourer, and a dark blue one of these: -

:)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4837 on: 17 March, 2016, 08:03:34 pm »
This week I have purchased:

A merino buff (ebay, £12)
A madison apex rain jacket (£90)
A pair of toe straps (£3)

Last week I purchased:

Deda parabolica aerobars for just £20, secondhand but in as-new condition.
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #4838 on: 18 March, 2016, 09:17:14 am »
Yesterday I bought a pair of Phillips waterproof panniers and cycling glasses  :)
the slower you go the more you see

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #4839 on: 18 March, 2016, 02:47:50 pm »
A new Ibera rear rack from Amazon. The old RSP one was a horrible grey colour and didn't match the frame at all. The new one seems better designed and built too :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4840 on: 18 March, 2016, 03:12:03 pm »
No, but I now have a long list of bits I need to build up the recumbent frameset I'm just about settled on.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4841 on: 18 March, 2016, 04:38:05 pm »
At long last - a turbo mat (to replace the towel currently doing that job), some proper winter gloves (to replace the cheap market fluffy ones I've been using), and some Schwalbe 1s to replace the Ultremos I've wrecked on the turbo!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4842 on: 23 March, 2016, 11:39:30 am »
A new pump.  I lost the innards out of my old one  :facepalm: and couldn't source any new ones, so we'll see how this one does.

Topeak road morph.  I'm not sacrificing a bottle cage so it'll be cable tied to one of the tubes.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4843 on: 23 March, 2016, 12:32:47 pm »
A new pump.  I lost the innards out of my old one  :facepalm: and couldn't source any new ones, so we'll see how this one does.

Topeak road morph.  I'm not sacrificing a bottle cage so it'll be cable tied to one of the tubes.

The Road Morph bottle cage mount fits behind the bottle cage, no sacrifice needed.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4844 on: 23 March, 2016, 02:47:10 pm »

The Road Morph bottle cage mount fits behind the bottle cage, no sacrifice needed.

Do you have to buy that separately?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4845 on: 23 March, 2016, 03:03:23 pm »
I don't think so. IIRC mine came with the bracket.
Rust never sleeps

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4846 on: 23 March, 2016, 03:28:41 pm »
My bracket is one that fixes directly over the bottle cage holes so takes the place of a bottle cage. Perhaps they've changed design since 2011 though.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4847 on: 23 March, 2016, 03:37:41 pm »
My bracket is one that fixes directly over the bottle cage holes so takes the place of a bottle cage. Perhaps they've changed design since 2011 though.

So is the one that came with the pump.  It has cable tie holes though, so you can mount it on one of the tubes.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4848 on: 23 March, 2016, 03:40:49 pm »
I may have one for mounting it next to the cage in a box*. I'll have a look when I get home.

*That would be a mount for mounting the pump next to the cage, and that mount would be in a box. Not a cage in a box obviously :P

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4849 on: 23 March, 2016, 03:43:11 pm »
I may have one for mounting it next to the cage in a box*. I'll have a look when I get home.

*That would be a mount for mounting the pump next to the cage, and that mount would be in a box. Not a cage in a box obviously :P

Yeah, the pump came in a box, so if I wanted to mount the pump next to a cage in a box. I could easily do it with sellotape.
Milk please, no sugar.