Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 876953 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4950 on: 27 May, 2016, 07:51:07 am »
pretty much a new transmission for the Thorn, and then the tools to get the sprocket off the rohloff as well.

Is it wrong to buy park tools because I like the blue colour?
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4951 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:02:30 am »
Only if the blue clashes with the colour of your other tools.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4952 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:58:02 am »
Waiting for a Garmin 500 to be delivered today.

« Reply #4953 on: 27 May, 2016, 11:16:42 am »
Park Tool AWS-1 hex wrench

« Reply #4954 on: 27 May, 2016, 03:29:35 pm »
Only if the blue clashes with the colour of your other tools.

Hmmm

I may need to repaint the bike toolbox, so it matches the collection forming in it.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #4955 on: 27 May, 2016, 04:07:16 pm »
A brooks tension bolt..... as it's payday I then succumbed to a hand painted crane bell for my latest bike build

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4956 on: 28 May, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »
Ordered a new pair of touring wheels from my local* lbs for my rebuild my 2008 Dawes Horizon Project!  :D i may build a dynohub front wheel later on for dark o clock winter commuting.

*Bike Shop Scotland, Dunfermline, 2 mins from home!

Still no wheels. I wonder if they have forgotten to order them?

Apparently out of stock at dealer, but forgot to phone me to let me know...

« Reply #4957 on: 28 May, 2016, 04:33:22 pm »
Topeak Mirror N bar ends, for my newly acquired flat bar Bridgestone Moulton. To provide alternative hand position, and fold-out mirrors. The latter are quite shallow, will discover how useful they are next time I ride.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4958 on: 28 May, 2016, 06:15:45 pm »
Crankset and by, plus a big tool.

Still need a mirror
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4959 on: 30 May, 2016, 03:41:49 pm »
Not so much bought as liberated from the motor-house at Fort Larrington: a complete, albeit non-running, bike to be used as a source for bits to resurrect my Revell Romany as a geared shopping bike and trailer tug after its period as a fixer.  Flat bars, stem, brake levers, non-indexed Shimano thumbshifters, mudguards and Sun Tour BL-GT rear derailleur all earmarked for transfer and the freewheel and chain as well if I can get the former off the wheel (which is both knackered and has a 630 rim).  Only need to buy cables, a wheel and a saddle.  Hopefully.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

BrianI

« Reply #4960 on: 30 May, 2016, 03:52:32 pm »
£315 worth of bits to get my 2008 vintage Dawes Horizon (Chromoly 520 frame) up and running again! 
 It's amazing how much it all adds up by the time you add in new chainset, 9 speed cassette, 9 speed deraullier, bar end shifters (9 speed), new gear & brake cables and other accoutrements! Still the new wheels to buy from the lbs.  Couldn't buy a new touring bike for this price though, so money well spent.

:o

It's only money, but it'll be good to get her up and running again, hopefully for some proper touring this year (with my still to be used in anger skidii single wheeled trailer...)

Hope the car service and MOT on wednesday isn't too expensive, other wise it'll be beans on toast for the rest of the month...  :-\

Vince

« Reply #4961 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:16:27 pm »
A pair of Micro-Shift gear levers to allow me to replace the cantilevers with V-brakes (from the spares box) on the Long Unridden Mountain Bike.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

BrianI

« Reply #4962 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:31:28 pm »
Finally got the wheels from lbs, along with £20 off due to the delay in shop getting them for me! Pretty budget set if wheels, "Claus Butler" explorer 700c 135mm rear 36 spokes. Although checking them at home the front wheel has a 17mm interior rim width and the rear 19mm! And they could do with a bit of a true. However for £60 for the pair, not too bad. Front wheel will only be temporary till I get cash together to build a dynamo front wheel

Pic of them fitted with worn out continental city contacts fitted till lbs gets more marathons in stock.

2016-06-06_05-46-47 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4963 on: 09 June, 2016, 12:26:47 pm »
Yesterday:
A three point rack (I don't really like them, but it's all I can fit to the Renegade)
An Ortlieb Ultimate 6 barbag
A spare bracket for the above
Light brackets to fit the bracket for the bar bag.
The wrong hoods for my brakes

Today:
The RIGHT hoods for my brakes...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4964 on: 09 June, 2016, 12:32:39 pm »
Since I've had to give them back to Mrs S:

A new 26" rear wheel
A rotor to fit new 26" inch wheel  ::-)
Headset spacers

Brakes should be turning up tomorrow

« Reply #4965 on: 10 June, 2016, 06:44:02 am »
Yesterday a new tube for the trice In a shepherds Bush cycle shop.
the slower you go the more you see

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4966 on: 11 June, 2016, 12:42:30 am »
A pair of second hand Schwalbe tyres for the Trice front wheels. They must be strange 406 size rims as getting old off/new on involved cussing and breaking extra strong tyre levers!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4967 on: 11 June, 2016, 04:51:15 am »
A pair of crochet cycling gloves from a little 'urban' bike shop in Bordeaux. The folk were quite friendly and got started a few years after inventing an umbrella bracket for 'dutch bikes' and later an umbrella designed for use while cycling (slowly). Apparently Bordeaux is a fairly wet part of France. http://popins.fr/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4968 on: 11 June, 2016, 03:00:40 pm »
A pair of second hand Schwalbe tyres for the Trice front wheels. They must be strange 406 size rims as getting old off/new on involved cussing and breaking extra strong tyre levers!

'twas ever thus.  Marathon Slicks plus Alex rims = sore thumbs, b0rked tools and Bad Swears.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Vince

« Reply #4969 on: 11 June, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »
Nearly, but Chain Reaction's web site is poop.
If it wants me to add a billing address, it should let me instead of having a permanently revolving icon in the middle of the screen.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4970 on: 12 June, 2016, 12:11:11 am »

'twas ever thus.  Marathon Slicks plus Alex rims = sore thumbs, b0rked tools and Bad Swears.

Looks for new 36 hole rims that are not so sweary!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

fuzzy

« Reply #4971 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:28:53 am »
A Shimano RS010 rear wheel to replace the Giepemme with the snapped and unreplaceable rear axle on the 'Dale.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4972 on: 14 June, 2016, 11:39:43 am »

Looks for new 36 hole rims that are not so sweary!

FYI

35mm Kojaks on Dahon/Kinetix rims. Piece of piss.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

BrianI

« Reply #4973 on: 19 June, 2016, 08:30:38 pm »
Last few odds and sods to finish off the tourer.

A pair of V-Brake noodles with adjusters, as the tektro RL520 drop bar vbrake levers don't have adjusters on them. Should be tidier than inline adjusters.

Picked up a pair of Marathon greenguard 32mms from LBS yesterday (much nicer than the supposed 32mm Continental City Contacts which only measured 28mm)

a Schrader to presta valve hole adaptor doofer, as the bargain basement hybrid wheels I got for not much ££ from lbs has a schrader rim drilling on the rear wheel, and presta on the front... They were supposed to be the same spec....  ::-)  But they were cheap and cheerful so will do until I get enough ££ saved up to build a pair of touring wheels with dyno front hub.

And a nice shiny new pair of matt black SKS Bluemels1 in 45mm size, to replace the 8 year old chromoplastics, which shattered as I tried to adjust them to fit along side the pannier rack....

Dread to think how much this project to rebuild my 8 year old Dawes Horizon has cost so far... Probably nearer £400   :o So I think I'll just keep the old pannier rack even if it is looking a bit scruffy and scratched.....   :smug:

1Doesn't that make them Blackmels instead?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4974 on: 19 June, 2016, 08:54:10 pm »
a few exposure lights to go on the tt bike. probably will not run them at full blast as they can be a tad antisocial.