Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874838 times)

fuzzy

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5225 on: 26 July, 2017, 11:28:14 pm »
Nope but I spent a load of dosh on astronomy bits today :-\

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5226 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:23:27 am »
A sprocket wear checker tool . . . . a bit of a luxury but it'll look good on the refettled toolboard (q.v.) - I was tempted by the Rohloff one (that works with other brands) but went for the slightly cheaper Unior one - checks sprocket wear on cassettes up to about 24T.

AND . . . I've made a tentative enquiry about a new carbon machine . . .

Rob

Carbon machine tried and ridden for about 50 miles - I really didn't feel very comfortable/confident on it so will stick with Ti and steel machines.  A relief for my bank balance.

Rob

dim

« Reply #5227 on: 28 July, 2017, 08:33:09 am »
New rubber for my 'best bike' .... Specialized Turbo Cotton:

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #5228 on: 28 July, 2017, 11:32:44 am »
A bulk buy of Viton o-rings, to replace decayed nitrile ones originally fitted on brake/gear cable couplers on separable Moultons.

They prevent the metal couplers from pinging against the frame and damaging the paint, and make them easier to grip when unscrewing/screwing them.

I'm selling sets of six to Moulton owners (or anyone else using them) for £3 post paid (UK addresses, otherwise £3.50), PM me if interested. I'd better put this in For Sale too.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5229 on: 28 July, 2017, 06:24:53 pm »
Not bought exactly but have acquired some splendid Reynolds T-shirts... #steelisreal

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5230 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:21:44 pm »
Some ... like ... more than you can use yourself?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5231 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:50:37 pm »
A style-conscious gent like me needs a full wardrobe.

(I got two T-shirts. M'colleagues nabbed the rest.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5232 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:59:36 pm »
Presumably the material is thicker at the ends  ;)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5233 on: 28 July, 2017, 08:13:51 pm »
...or over the butt?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

dim

« Reply #5234 on: 03 August, 2017, 09:42:33 am »
I'm having new wheels built ....

Chris King R45 Hubs with Ceramic Bearings laced to HED Belgium plus rims

being delivered today, and I will take the rims/hubs to my LBS later today .... I'm hoping that they will be ready tommorow pm

this build will cost more than what I paid for my bike  :-[

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5235 on: 03 August, 2017, 09:16:18 pm »
1992 Kona Kilauea frame turned up.  Hmm...this doesn't feel the right weight, seatpost size is 26.4 instead of 27.0 and there is no "ring" to the tubes.  Knocked out the headset cups, put it on the scales and it's 5lb 7oz  instead of about 4lb 10oz :o, so it's a Hahanna or something that's been powdercoated* and restickered (happens a lot because they all look the same; I've seen a Fire Mountain badged as an Explosif, although the seller was upfront about that one). Seller admits he's only had it a month and is happy to take it back (as well he might be).

Then found a 1992 Cinder Cone in the right size which seems to have its original paint so might actually be a Cinder Cone...we'll see.

*they'd done a nice job and got the colour right
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5236 on: 03 August, 2017, 11:41:07 pm »
I'm having new wheels built ....

Chris King R45 Hubs with Ceramic Bearings laced to HED Belgium plus rims

being delivered today, and I will take the rims/hubs to my LBS later today .... I'm hoping that they will be ready tommorow pm

this build will cost more than what I paid for my bike  :-[

By appointment?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5237 on: 04 August, 2017, 12:16:09 am »
An old, 531 framed, Dawes Jaguar. In need of a lot of tidying and restoring but a lovely lugged frame.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5238 on: 04 August, 2017, 11:13:57 pm »
Some new knee warmers, as I've managed to lose one of mine and autumn is coming (the nights are already noticeably darker and there's a slight chill in the air...). I fully expect the missing one to turn up as soon as the new ones arrive in the post.

« Reply #5239 on: 05 August, 2017, 07:14:19 am »
I ordered them a few days ago, but they just arrived.

Enough p-clips to keep me going for quite a while, and that will let me put the rack back on the commuter and finish reassembling the rear of the bike.  The brakes, rack and mudguards are all interconnected, so are essentially all put back on and adjusted together.  It took me a while to sort them out, since they arrived in one big jumbled together bag!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5240 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:04:46 am »
New bottom bracket for my BMX. Always fun to see the kids (in the shop) faces when they realize that it's for *my* bike that I'm buying stuff for.

« Reply #5241 on: 06 August, 2017, 08:43:45 pm »
20 pear ended brake cables.

After much hunting around, I found one rear brake cable, and one front brake cable.  I have no idea when I bought the front cable, but it must have been a long time ago, since I just buy rear ones now, and cut them to length if necessary.  The one long cable has now been used, and I needed some spares.

dim

« Reply #5242 on: 07 August, 2017, 03:06:56 pm »
Cycliq Fly 6 (rear action camera and light):

« Reply #5243 on: 09 August, 2017, 08:53:12 pm »
Doing my bit for BRITISH manufacturing: a shiny brass bell from Lion Bellworks, with a very pleasing ding; and a pair of Super C panniers (courtesy of Karla OTP).

« Reply #5244 on: 10 August, 2017, 09:01:38 pm »
20 pear ended brake cables.

After much hunting around, I found one rear brake cable, and one front brake cable.  I have no idea when I bought the front cable, but it must have been a long time ago, since I just buy rear ones now, and cut them to length if necessary.  The one long cable has now been used, and I needed some spares.

Sorted, and a few brake pads too. :D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5245 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:57:08 pm »
A pair of Schwalbe Landcruisers, 700x40 so I can do some comedy off roading on my Dawes Horizon, when I go to Skye for a week, at the end of the week! :-) I figured for £12 each from H@flords, (plus an extra 10% off since I used the store as a DPD pick up point the previous week)!   they would probably be a better choice than the 32mm Marathons I had fitted for commuting purposes. I had to take the front & rear mudguards off for clearance though...

I figured the Dawes would be a better choice for exploring Skye than my 29er mtb as the Dawes can take panniers So ideal for packed lunches, wildlife watching gear etc, plus the rack for strapping the camera tripod too .  Any real off roading will be done on Shank's Pony!  ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5246 on: 14 August, 2017, 10:00:12 pm »
I ordered them a few days ago, but they just arrived.

Enough p-clips to keep me going for quite a while, and that will let me put the rack back on the commuter and finish reassembling the rear of the bike.  The brakes, rack and mudguards are all interconnected, so are essentially all put back on and adjusted together.  It took me a while to sort them out, since they arrived in one big jumbled together bag!

Where did you order these from? I've struggled to find such things at Halfords / Screwfix etc.

Also, did you sort them while doing Hungarian folk dance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWBy6J5gz8  ;D

dim

« Reply #5247 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:17:17 pm »
Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 HD 4K Action Camera

I had a very close look at the new GoPro Hero5 but the Garmin links to all the Garmin Sensors on my bike and displays the info on the video

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5248 on: 16 August, 2017, 11:44:31 pm »
Rim, spokes, nipples, that sort of thing.  To build a sensible front wheel for the Baron, so the Streetmachine can have its wheel (which I can actually get the tyre on and off without assistance) back.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5249 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:03:21 am »
Couple of tyres, a bunch of long-leader cable ends and a couple of PTFE-coated inner gear cables.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight