Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874825 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #6025 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:49:14 am »
Another set of PD-7810 Dura-Ace pedals, extremely cheap this time at £12.  They are smooth but I won't know if they're good until I open them up.  One has a bit of play but water ingress is the problem with these; they are poorly sealed, the inboard race is very close to the great outdoors, and they can't have a total grease fill because of the assembly procedure, which requires the outboard 9 balls to be dropped into a dry pedal body.

One new axle assembly is about £70 if the inner race is pitted, so fingers crossed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6026 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:49:34 pm »
New hatz, I has some  :) (Actually it was MrsP wot bought them).

« Reply #6027 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:52:09 pm »
Guidebooks for the Rebellion Way & King Alfred's way have been delivered.   My motivation is still stuck in the post somewhere!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6028 on: 03 June, 2023, 10:25:45 pm »
My CX bike chain has done 1159 miles, (1865 km) and it is still way less than 0.5% elongation. I decided I will chuck another chain on it anyway, to keep the cassette and chainrings in nice condition. This bike is used on all manner of surfaces, in the wet and cold and on salty roads. I was surprised at the distance it has done since fitting the previous chain in late February, but it has been my main training bike, and that has incurred some big mileages. I was surprised at how little wear is showing on the chain wear indicator. I guess chainsaw lube is the way to go, and never putting water near the chain when cleaning the bike or the chain. This is a 2 x 11 speed drive train.

So today, I bought 2 chains from Hopkinsons. ( <£13 each )
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #6029 on: 11 June, 2023, 11:00:11 am »
Parcelforce have just delivered a circular package containing a pair of Marathon Plus & some new inner tubes from SJS.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6030 on: 12 June, 2023, 05:43:09 am »
A ludicrously expensive additional mount for my Cycliq camera. Must admit the cheap adaptor I tried did break so it’s buy cheap, buy twice, suppose.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6031 on: 12 June, 2023, 07:29:44 am »
<growl> A new Road Morph, since I couldn't find the horseshoe nail O-ring to restore my current one.  There are lots of bits available for Topeak's Joe Blowjob pumps but none for mine.  Well, it does date from 2015.  Also a few electronic odds & sods, mainly a new alarm that doubles as a bell. Oh, and a pair of Castelli shorts, still to be baptised.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6032 on: 12 June, 2023, 07:42:39 am »
ebay can be a good place to find o rings in whatever size and material you like, as long as you can measure what you have. I've picked up all sorts of obscure sizes there for stuff where manufacturers don't have a spare.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6033 on: 12 June, 2023, 07:49:08 am »
ebay can be a good place to find o rings in whatever size and material you like, as long as you can measure what you have. I've picked up all sorts of obscure sizes there for stuff where manufacturers don't have a spare.

Point.  I've been looking at dealers, who just want to sell you another pump. Well that worked, but I'll still try and restore the old one. The new one's coming express since I need it before I can ride again.

« Reply #6034 on: 12 June, 2023, 08:04:59 am »
Always good to have a spare though, as you can bet that if you only have one it'll break just when you need it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6035 on: 12 June, 2023, 09:37:55 am »
Aye. Trouble is that when I need it I might be 100k away in the back of beyond. Hence aux gas pump, when I can find the thing.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6036 on: 12 June, 2023, 09:41:18 am »

Point.  I've been looking at dealers, who just want to sell you another pump. Well that worked, but I'll still try and restore the old one. The new one's coming express since I need it before I can ride again.

This sort of thing?
https://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/topeak-pump-road-morph-rebuild-kit-p86960
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6037 on: 12 June, 2023, 10:32:43 am »

This sort of thing?
https://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/topeak-pump-road-morph-rebuild-kit-p86960

Yebbut not with 25€ priority delivery, 11-16 working days. However, I've found the same thing in Germany.  I was about to raid my stock of cold-water washers.

And in other news, just as I was fiddling with the pump my back tyre suddenly went pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.  Inspected, rim tape displaced and exposing spoke heads.  Self-adhesive rim tape at that.  Managed to unstick it and heave it back over the holes, but there's the odd wrinkle so I'm off to Decathlon to get some new stuff. Heigh ho.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6038 on: 13 June, 2023, 04:16:05 pm »
A new helmet. Mine was so grotty after a hot ride on Sunday morning that I thought I should clean it. Then I noticed a crack ::-).
Pen Pusher

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6039 on: 13 June, 2023, 06:23:05 pm »
A new helmet. Mine was so grotty after a hot ride on Sunday morning that I thought I should clean it. Then I noticed a crack ::-).

That means it saved your life.

« Reply #6040 on: 19 June, 2023, 12:59:52 pm »
New bars and stem for the Roberts. A clamp I want to use fits a 31.8 bar which mine are not. I also want to reduce bar width from 44 to 38.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #6041 on: 19 June, 2023, 06:11:07 pm »
Bought a lovely used set of Ultegra rim calipers, for my aluminium road bike.

The Tektro's that are on it are going on a steel bike from 1958. Not sure about that yet.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6042 on: 30 June, 2023, 09:44:14 am »
Ordered a new motorized back wheel for the eBrute. Nothing wrong with the old one but it's a 135mm axle and my dropouts are 130mm, meaning that getting it out requires brute strength, which in our case we have not got, weedy bastard that I am.

Delivery mid-July, since although it's designed by a local firm they get them built in the Lustrous Orient and it's still on that there slow boat.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6043 on: 30 June, 2023, 02:09:14 pm »
A little Bell That Goes PING to replace the one whose clamp b0rked after replacing it following a brake service, and a new pair of summer gloves to replace the twenty-something y/o loose collection of fabric that currently fails to keep black sticky goop from the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle's slowly-melting grip shifters off my stubby peasant fingers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6044 on: 30 June, 2023, 06:02:47 pm »
Bought some mirrors, yet another spoke key, and a bottle cage. Went to Halfords to collect them, only to find that the mirrors are nothing like the ones they showed as having in stock and which they confirmed they had by email. I wanted the cheap plastic bar end ones. They had the cheap metal arm style mirrors. The store only stocks the metal ones. Bum. I left with a somewhat reduced shopping basket and bill, I actually like the bar end ones (but the ride is tomorrow and they can't get them in until Monday).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6045 on: 12 July, 2023, 10:57:17 pm »
New saddle. The previous had lasted for >88000km.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6047 on: 13 July, 2023, 08:36:09 am »
That ^^^ is not real, the bike's clean.

Meanwhile I have taken possession of one of they Tyre Glider doodahs.  Haven't yet had the courage to use it but I've got a candidate waiting.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6048 on: 13 July, 2023, 10:29:41 am »

Meanwhile I have taken possession of one of they Tyre Glider doodahs.  Haven't yet had the courage to use it but I've got a candidate waiting.

Be interested in a future report on the Tyre Glider gadget . . . my current weapons of choice should the digital approach (fingers only!) not work are Park Tool plastic tyre levers and the BBB "plier" tool to refit the tyre

« Reply #6049 on: 13 July, 2023, 11:02:24 am »

Be interested in a future report on the Tyre Glider gadget . . . my current weapons of choice should the digital approach (fingers only!) not work are Park Tool plastic tyre levers and the BBB "plier" tool to refit the tyre
I have read that the earlier (blue) versions were liable to snap (in some circumstances) and the
2.0 (red) version were slightly beefier.