Author Topic: YACF Camping Weekend (Sep 19th/20th 2009)  (Read 67768 times)

Re: YACF Camping Weekend (Sep 2009)
« Reply #25 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:18:17 pm »
September is my burfday!  This sounds to me like an excuse I could use to get a pass from Mr R for a weekend of cycling and camping.

I'd have thought all your weekends were camping.  ;)
Abnormal for Norfolk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #26 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:26:31 pm »
September is my burfday!  This sounds to me like an excuse I could use to get a pass from Mr R for a weekend of cycling and camping.

I'd have thought all your weekends were camping.  ;)

:P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: 14 February, 2009, 05:09:58 pm »
No fires?  :'(

No fires allowed.

That means "don't get caught", doesn't it?

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:34:45 pm »
No fires?  :'(

No fires allowed.

That means "don't get caught", doesn't it?

:D

You'll get caught.  This isn't a deep-cover wooded site (in fact its quite high-up and exposed for the area) and the owner (publican) is 30 yards away.

If anyone is looking for a rural ride to the site, I know the lanes really well for 30km miles in every direction and can provide a really nice final 30km mile route if you need one.  Those coming from London are probably well-versed in finding the best routes out west.  Once you get west of Aldershot there's no reason why you can't complete the final 50-60km on relatively traffic-free lanes.  For example, Basingstoke is a bit of a shit-hole town in the middle of idyllic countryside.  You only need to skirt it by a couple of miles to be in picture-postcard, thatched, Hampshire.  Same with Andover itself and there is almost nothing but fine countryside in the 30kms between the two towns (I think the only thing of any reknown is Watership Down * , halfway between )

* Rumour has it that the local pub (the Watership Down Inn) does great Rabbit Pie.  This may be a local myth.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #29 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:59:38 pm »
I am right up there with dangling my markmallows in front of the flickery flames although personally, I do not give a flying cinder about lighting fires now I have seen this:

Here at Wyke Down we pride ourselves on the quality of our Real Ales. Our permanent beer is the award winning Timothy Taylors Landlord, a 4.3% Strong Pale Ale. We also feature two ever-changing guest beers obtained from one of the smaller independent or micro breweries.

Wyke Down has been a regular entry in the Campaign For Real Ale's (CAMRA) flagship publication "The Good Beer Guide" for several years and we have been awarded national Cask Marque accreditation in recognition of the excellent and consistent quality of our cask beers. We have also been presented with a prestigious Award of Merit from the local North Hampshire CAMRA Branch for our significant contribution to the promotion of Real Ale in this area.

Excellent choice of venue.  :thumbsup:

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 14 February, 2009, 09:17:26 pm »
And the period return from Southend to Whitchurch is only £24.55. Sounds good to me!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #31 on: 14 February, 2009, 09:41:33 pm »
I really hope I can make this.  Lots of memories for me of that whole area.  You are right about Basingstoke being a shit-hole :) 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 14 February, 2009, 09:48:20 pm »
I think I might buy myself a new tent. The one I've got is OK if it's not raining when I put it up. It behaved well at Mildenhall. However, if the Sunday deluge had occurred on the Friday evening, I would have been looking to sleep with someone. :o

I'm planning York, Mildenhall, this weekend and possibly some other fairly undirected camping as the whim takes me. It was only last year that I thought my camping days were over. Let's hear it for disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs, I say!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 14 February, 2009, 10:51:24 pm »
This sounds like a fun idea, and it's only a 65 mile cycle for me, so no real problem, and hardly worth bothering with trains.

I don't really care when it is, I don't have anything in my diary that far ahead anyway.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #34 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:10:53 pm »
I really hope I can make this.  Lots of memories for me of that whole area.  You are right about Basingstoke being a shit-hole :) 

I worked at IBM (the Black & White Tower just opposite the station, now apartments) for 10 years, I feel qualified to judge.

:thumbsup:

It is however a blot on an otherwise superb landscape.

LEE

« Reply #35 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:12:37 pm »
And the period return from Southend to Whitchurch is only £24.55. Sounds good to me!

Basingstoke, Overton &  Whitchurch (Train Stations on the Waterloo-Andover line) offer some nice cycling options to Andover depending on how many miles you want to do.

LEE

« Reply #36 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:16:21 pm »
Just use the post new poll button.

OK, I may be getting old.  Where is said button? I don't see it

annie

« Reply #37 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:16:56 pm »

I worked at IBM (the Black & White Tower just opposite the station, now apartments) for 10 years, I feel qualified to judge.

I worked not so far away, BOCM Silcock, just along from the AA.

I spent many happy days in Old Basing, and kept my horse just up the road, can't remember the name now, Newnham?

« Reply #38 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:28:36 am »
i think that im gonna have a go at this.

will make it a long weekend, Start out from NDevon on the Friday, look for a cycle friendly pub / campsite / ditch for the night & finish of on the Saturday. Maybe have a go for the return in one day on the sunday.

I've only ever really done this route at 100mph in a rep-mobile, so any pointers for a fixed friendly, quiet bike route would be much appreciated.

LEE

« Reply #39 on: 16 February, 2009, 10:28:23 am »

I worked not so far away, BOCM Silcock, just along from the AA.

I spent many happy days in Old Basing, and kept my horse just up the road, can't remember the name now, Newnham?

Newnham seems an odd name for a horse, 'Dobbin' perhaps?

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #40 on: 16 February, 2009, 11:13:31 am »
I have only just spotted this thread. We haven't made any plans for September yet other than agreeing to having our main holiday then and it involving bicycles. I see a plan forming, do you?

I shall be poring over maps tonight and speaking with Mrs. TKP who's family is in the Gloucester area.

« Reply #41 on: 16 February, 2009, 12:04:06 pm »
Should be up for this  (unless work summer break extends into September and I go away)  :)

LEE

Re: YACF Camping Weekend (Sep 19th/20th 2009)
« Reply #42 on: 16 February, 2009, 02:44:11 pm »
September 19th & 20th    September 19th & 20th    September 19th & 20th    September 19th & 20th
Put it on your diaries

Saturday lunchtime ride on Bikely

We can also attempt a bit of YACF Light Grafitti.  I must remember to take a tripod.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #43 on: 16 February, 2009, 08:58:20 pm »
Could be up for this - but train fare is 75 ish, with 2 or 3 changes - don't think I'll try the bike on that.

So car down to friends in Gloucester thursday, and cycle to the site on Friday, back Monday.

Or drive all the way?

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #44 on: 16 February, 2009, 08:59:54 pm »
I'm sorry, we cannot allow this. We had a camping weekend near Bideford. it involved BBQs and alcohol and Tom Lehrer and fire.
We had a camping weekend in the New Forest. It involved BBQs and alcohol and HUGE quantities of Beer. And Hummers.
We had another one, with children. It involved alcohol and watersplashes and ginger beer explosions and tandems and ferrets. And Hummers.

No. This is too silly an idea.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #45 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:16:40 pm »
I think I only put in a guest appearance on the latter New Forest visit so as to not upset the children too much.

Will look into the date and see if it can be reserved.

H

« Reply #46 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:46:52 pm »
We had another one, with children. It involved alcohol and watersplashes and ginger beer explosions and tandems and ferrets. And Hummers.

Yes, but on the plus point, having consumed the exploded ginger beer, one of the ferrets bit one of the children.  :thumbsup: ;D

(Actually, kudos to Elenor. She walked over to me with a bleeding finger and an incipient lower-lip-tremble and said "Nelson bit me."
"Yes," I said, "I warned you he might." "Oh yes, you did," she said, and wandered off happily.)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #47 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:49:25 pm »
If I can make it, I'll be there.  Train to KX and cycle across the metropolis..or find a train through the concrete jungle.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #48 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:51:32 pm »
We have just moved a step closer to this. We are now considering a tour from Lancashire via the Welsh borders and Gloucester to Andover. It looks like about six hundred miles round trip so it could be suitable for a two week trip with the option to visit a few friends and family on the way. I shall keep an eye on the thread and start planning I think.

LEE

« Reply #49 on: 17 February, 2009, 08:44:15 am »
We have just moved a step closer to this. We are now considering a tour from Lancashire via the Welsh borders and Gloucester to Andover. It looks like about six hundred miles round trip so it could be suitable for a two week trip with the option to visit a few friends and family on the way. I shall keep an eye on the thread and start planning I think.

Gloucester to Andover would be a superb day ride and, once clear of Gloucester, quite easy to do it entirely on small, relatively traffic-free lanes.  The Savernake Forest road at Malborough would be a nice treat.  I reckon 110-120km.
Once you got up the Newbury Downs then the final 20km is either (very) downhill or flat.