Author Topic: Garmin Nuvi 550  (Read 2526 times)

Garmin Nuvi 550
« on: 19 February, 2009, 11:55:48 am »
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=27442

Decided to cheer myself up with some retail therapy.

New breed of GPS, basically 1 GPS unit to do everything. Can move it from car to motorbike to bike to boat to hand.

Turn by turn road navigation when you want it, and compass and hiking features when you want those.

Waterproof, but only 8hr battery life, so I'll have to set up a dynamo and rectifier for longer rides.

Expect to see it mounted on my handlebars on a forthcoming audax.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Garmin Nuvi 550
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:24:31 pm »
Voice prompts on the handlebars - spooky!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2009, 03:33:23 pm »
Ooh, the Panoramio link is cunning and creepy too.  I like this "uv-resistant, fuel resistant, waterproof, sunlight-readable" stuff.  Design like wot it orter.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:35:35 pm »
Arrived yesterday.

Comes with a car kit as standard, haven't ordered the bike and motorbike fixings yet. it's only been out on with an improvised mount (bit of wood, lots of rubber bands).

Screen is very clear, and has a screen shot facility, which other than for attempting to capture my top speed on a downhill, and posting reviews of the unit, I can't see much of a need for it, but nice to have nonetheless.

The default icon for the bike, is initially a sit up and beg bike, with a helmeted rider. So naturally I changed that straight away for a road bike (Garmin do free icon downloads).

It can also locate your closest cashpoint. Useful if you're on a permanent and the cashpoint you planned to use is out of service.

Going to try upload a GPX log. I may be some time.

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2009, 01:46:01 pm »
The default icon for the bike, is initially a sit up and beg bike, with a helmeted rider. So naturally I changed that straight away for a road bike (Garmin do free icon downloads).

Ugh. STI cables sticking out the sides. Do they have a Campag version with neatly tucked away cables?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »
Ugh. STI cables sticking out the sides. Do they have a Campag version with neatly tucked away cables?
It's also got an Edge fitted. Is that a hint that a Nuvi isn't very suitable?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2009, 06:52:01 pm »
I notice this model is one of the few supported by Garmin's new OS maps
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/maps/gbdiscoverer

(That's not a recommendation to buy, by the way - neither the Nuvi nor the maps - just a point of interest.)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2009, 07:40:15 pm »
I notice this model is one of the few supported by Garmin's new OS maps
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/maps/gbdiscoverer

(That's not a recommendation to buy, by the way - neither the Nuvi nor the maps - just a point of interest.)

£129.99 per national park? they're having a laugh!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2009, 10:23:32 am »
Yup.
Though as well as OS detail coverage of your chosen area, you get national coverage at OS 1:250,000 and Navtech with autorouting (effectively like Mapsource City) and, so I've read, the cards are not locked.  So in the end the price is comparable with other products, especially if you don't need mapping outside of UK.
(Still not a recommendation)