Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2484599 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7000 on: 29 March, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7001 on: 29 March, 2014, 09:17:53 pm »
helping to satisfy my GF cravings
Erm, no . . .

I have another GF for that.
So, Torslanda, what does your wife think about you and all your girlfriends?
Oh... so these are the ones you can't be parted from!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris N

« Reply #7002 on: 29 March, 2014, 09:28:43 pm »

« Reply #7003 on: 30 March, 2014, 09:13:54 am »
oh i see what you mean, they aren't bolted on i just placed them on and dragged the bike out for a picture as it was such a nice day.....i'll fit them and take another  ;D

Chris N

« Reply #7004 on: 30 March, 2014, 11:20:23 am »
Ah, it's not finished. Will you sort everything else out while you're at it? ;)

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #7005 on: 30 March, 2014, 07:09:40 pm »
No bolt them on as they are and let us know how you get on.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7006 on: 04 April, 2014, 05:21:09 pm »
Getting there...

« Reply #7007 on: 09 April, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »
I needed to sort a work / not so good weather bike plus I had parts left over from a project that never happened, so whilst browsing ebay found this local, only a few months old and had hardly been used.

As it is now, need to tweak the bars a little but it rides great and I managed to sell all the old parts all ok.

« Reply #7008 on: 10 April, 2014, 03:46:34 pm »
Nice work!

Chain's a bit slack though, isn't it?  ;)

« Reply #7009 on: 13 April, 2014, 07:28:44 am »

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7010 on: 13 April, 2014, 07:26:29 pm »
oooooooo! its a BJ :thumbsup:    End -end?  verrrry nice. Black always looks good.

« Reply #7011 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:36:27 am »
yes end to end, when i was looking for a new bike saw a picture on ellis briggs website of an old bob jackson in for refurb the picture showed the finished bike just black with white stickers and no lug lining looked terrific made my mind up there and then .

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7012 on: 14 April, 2014, 08:34:13 pm »
yes end to end, when i was looking for a new bike saw a picture on ellis briggs website of an old bob jackson in for refurb the picture showed the finished bike just black with white stickers and no lug lining looked terrific made my mind up there and then .

Clarion! Just check, you might be missing something.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7013 on: 16 April, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »

« Reply #7014 on: 16 April, 2014, 06:45:08 pm »
They're lovely :thumbsup:

Shame about the really, really big mirrors ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #7015 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:53:06 pm »
I have a couple of Higgins Ultralites. The first was built in 1953 and I use this mainly for running in and out of town and commuting. The second was built in 1961 and this one does a lot of hard, fast miles. They were both bought cheaply off Ebay and then I lavished care, attention and money building them into machines I would like to ride.

Here is a link to more pictures documenting it's restoration http://on3wheels.myfastforum.org/about457.html&highlight=

Link to further pictures and it's restoration http://on3wheels.myfastforum.org/about293.html&highlight=

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7016 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:56:18 pm »
Lovely trikes there Barry :thumbsup:

I especially like the barbers pole seat tube on the Higgins :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #7017 on: 16 April, 2014, 10:54:49 pm »
Thank you Mcshroom. Bob Jackson's did all the work and I was very pleased with the results. The first is Flamboyant Green and Ivory, the second Fantasy Pink Pearlescent. The pink one glows and shimmers in sun light and is very striking.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7018 on: 17 April, 2014, 07:29:54 am »
Blimey, those trikes are amazing machines  :thumbsup:  I hadn't realised they only have brakes on the front.  I'd like to have a closer look at the double brake set up on the pink trike - looks very clever!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7019 on: 17 April, 2014, 07:43:14 am »
Lovely trikes indeed - really nice paintwork.

Fantastic!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7020 on: 17 April, 2014, 07:54:00 am »

Here is a link to more pictures documenting it's restoration http://on3wheels.myfastforum.org/about457.html&highlight=

Fabulous :thumbsup: I've always regretted parting with my Longstaff TWD in the mid 90's - seeing yours increases that :'(

« Reply #7021 on: 17 April, 2014, 07:58:11 am »
I hadn't realised they only have brakes on the front.
Yes, laws are different for trikes, and with two rear wheels a pair of front brakes is acceptable. 
I'd like to have a closer look at the double brake set up on the pink trike - looks very clever!
Look at galleries/braking on the Trykit website http://www.trykit.com/

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7022 on: 17 April, 2014, 08:13:11 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #7023 on: 17 April, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »
I hadn't realised they only have brakes on the front.  I'd like to have a closer look at the double brake set up on the pink trike - looks very clever!

Thanks Oscar's Dad. I had these forks custom built. I was not satisfied with the braking power, using the original set up. I do a lot of riding in the hills west of Harrogate and needed a reliable and powerful set of brakes for the long and steep descents. I tried at first to work within the limitations of the original forks by adapting the bosses to accept modern cantis and the brake bar to take a dual pivot brake but still found them lacking in bite.

Mini Vs were easily the most powerful brake types, for the kind of set up I a using. (Campag Ergo levers and no desire to alter drastically the look and style of the fork to accept a disc brake, which would have required a different crown). So I went to Bob Jacksons in Leeds and they found a lugged crown that exactly matched the original with which to built me a new set of forks. I also took the opportunity to convert to an Ahead steerer. This allowed for a lighter build and a great deal more convenience and a range in both choice and quality, that modern componentry provides.

I'm very happy with the results. The forks perform as they should, comfortable and with no deflection in the front wheel under cornering or pumping hard out of the saddle. The brakes are as powerful as I need, silent and give me complete confidence in all conditions. I'm happy with the aesthetics, thinking they keep some of the original feel and design, while delivering me with a thoroughly modern and contemporary performance. In the general scheme of things, they didn't cost a great deal either.

Here is a picture with the original forks as I was building it up, the first time round.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7024 on: 17 April, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »
Wow  :thumbsup: