Author Topic: Anyone in Solihull ?  (Read 2820 times)

Anyone in Solihull ?
« on: 22 April, 2008, 03:37:14 pm »
I may be there on business in the first week in May. No vehicle, no bicycle, what is there to do in an evening ? Which pub ?

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Anyone in Solihull ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:45:02 pm »
Anyone in Solihull ?

I've just checked with my wife who was there last week. She says there are people in Solihull!   :thumbsup:  ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:12:47 pm »
Aye, but they're all kippers & curtains.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:22:49 pm »
Aye, but they're all kippers & curtains.

Watch it!  ;D

Er-hum, what age are you? Solihull, like all places is pretty compartmentalised age-wise. I've not lived there for 8 years now, so I'm out of touch with the pub side of things, but I know there's a Wetherspoons pub.

Where are you staying? If it's the George Hotel and you're on expenses, the bar there is nice, in a sort-of tory voters' way. The Saddlers is down-to-earth, and a bit rough-and-ready to some. I like it.

To be honest, the train ride into Brum on the Chiltern Line Trains is probably a better option, as you'll have far more choice in Birmingham. About 10 mins on a good day. Last one back is about 11.30pm. The station is about 5-10 mins out of the centre.

I'm there (Solihull) myself 8-11th May, so happy to take you to a good pub or two in Brum, but if you're not of the real-ale appreciation society, best avoid my company, though I'm not a ticker by any means.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:25:49 pm »
Not sure where I will be staying, Holiday Inn and Ramada were mentioned by the client. I shall be on expenses. Age ? forty something, Real Ale ? Check.

Is the George Hotel any good ?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2008, 05:06:43 pm »
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2008, 06:10:21 pm »
Although I'm a few miles from Solihull, the current plans are not to be around at that w/e.   
There is someone very local but he doesn't seem to have migrated here.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:05:35 pm »
It's about time we had a meet-up in Brum - anyway I'm around that week and could divert home via central Brum one night.  Though if you choose to come over this way (Black Country) you'll get some excellent beer - Bathams, Holdens and Enville, all local breweries.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:09:57 pm »
I went to a nightclub in Solihull once.  I think it was about the 3rd circle of Hell.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:42:54 am »
it is looking more likely by the day that I will be in Solihull from May 6th to 9th and possibly the 10th if the job isn't finished in the four days during the week.  I don't know how much free time I shall have, it will become clearer once I am there. I'll be up for a drink though if I can, in Solihull or Brum. I shall not be up for a night club though zilla, since I broke my pelvis my dancing days are behind me !!

« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:05:31 am »
It's about time we had a meet-up in Brum - anyway I'm around that week and could divert home via central Brum one night.  Though if you choose to come over this way (Black Country) you'll get some excellent beer - Bathams, Holdens and Enville, all local breweries.

No stop - Torture! Bathams is the nectar of the gods, though Holdens Special also gives it a good run for its money. It's possible toget to the Black Country directly by train from Solihull, but it's a bit of a haul (45 mins or so). Hungarian beer is crap, so my UK trips invariably end up with liver damage to one degree or another.

Having spent 35 years of my life living in Solihull, I never stayed in a hotel there. The George is the most central hotel and the smallest. The Swallow is possibly the best located if you're not working in town.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Si

« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2008, 11:18:42 am »
My late father in law was always most keen to inform anyone who would listen that Solihull, loosely translated from the AS, means Pig-Hole.  (There's none so snobby than those that live in the outlying bits of Brum which aren't actually bits of Brum but, infact, much superior seperate entities.  And there are none so inversely-snobby as those that live in the nearby bits of outlying Brum that are bits of Brum).

I went to a MSDN conference in Solihull once and can see how the name fits!

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:00:12 pm »
Update to my earlier post... Apparently the Ramada is the George (told you I was out of touch!). If you can get a room overlooking the opposite St. Alphege's church, it'd be a treat for the eyes.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:33:24 pm »
Hang on.  When's the Meriden week end?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:56:25 pm »
I don't have any idea at the moment how much free time I will have. I will be accompanied by a couple of my American cow-orkers who no doubt will want to work all evening too. The customer may demand it anyway. Given my choice I'd prefer to run out once the five o'clock hooter goes and drink beer.