Linked Events

• Mille Cymru 1000: 23 July, 2010 - 26 July, 2010

Author Topic: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010  (Read 224104 times)

Re: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010
« Reply #1125 on: 27 July, 2010, 06:18:59 pm »
Does 48 1/2 hours moving time in 73 hours but only 8 hours sleep sound a bit like we had too many bacon rolls and ice creams?  ;D

Very much so  ;D

My moving time was 48 hours too, but I had about 8 hours in the hotel on Friday night, and about the same on saturday night.  Sunday night was just some kind of weird twilight zone of stopping at the two sleep stops and lying down wide awake for an hour or so.

When I say hours in the hotel, I mean exactly that rather than sleep.  I can never sleep after a long day riding, and this time I couldn't sleep before it either.  I estimate that including the thursday night, I probably had about 6 hours sleep in total over the 4 nights.... which is why it took me 6 hours to drive the 98 miles home yesterday  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1126 on: 27 July, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »
My (very long, probably very dull) ride report is over on the Irish forum.  Includes a certain amount of detail for the local audience that you all know already.
Top write-up Eoghan - I "LOL"ed.

[ I'd like to stress the word "genially"in the paragraph where I feature, in case anyone misinterprets our conversation. ]

Who knew Ireland had a forum? ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1127 on: 27 July, 2010, 06:52:05 pm »
This was a great event, thank you John for organising it!

to sum it up I have learned that:

1- It will take me a lifetime of audaxing to discover all the pretty bits of Wales.
2- After 24hours of climbing Welsh hills, speaking English is hard work - apologies to anyone who had to communicate with me!
3- I need to enter PBP to establish if the same happens to my French
4- Shame I hadn't time to prepare better!
5- Doing as many 300s as possible is the best preparation for me - It worked very well for LEL and I will do this for PBP.
6- This was an extraordinary ride I may even enter it again!
7- People of my strength on the flat will be slower than me in the hills
8- People of my strength in the hills will drop me on the flat.
9- My stomach is my worst enemy.

And i would like to say thank you to:

10- Thank you John
11- Thank you to the things for pulling the 6.15 starters to the 1st control at 35 kph and helping me with my jammed chain Sunday eve.
12- Thank you to all helpers for delivering an event of such a high standard.

And commiserations to the non finishers including:
13- Julian, I really wanted you to finish but you weren't looking great and you probably took the right decision.
14- The things, you had just cracked the toughest bit...

Chief cat entertainer.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #1128 on: 27 July, 2010, 07:46:03 pm »

1- It will take me a lifetime of audaxing to discover all the pretty bits of Wales.
2- After 24hours of climbing Welsh hills, speaking English is hard work - apologies to anyone who had to communicate with me!
5- Doing as many 300s as possible is the best preparation for me - It worked very well for LEL and I will do this for PBP.

10- Thank you John
11- Thank you to the things for pulling the 6.15 starters to the 1st control at 35 kph and helping me with my jammed chain Sunday eve.

13- Julian, I really wanted you to finish but you weren't looking great and you probably took the right decision.

Oh, so you're Panoramix ::-)
Thanks for your company on Saturday and at times on the other days :thumbsup:

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #1129 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:29:48 pm »
Not long back home. Essex has never seemed so flat!

I knew when I rashly entered this madness I would be biting off an awful lot to chew, but of course I'd be a stone lighter and a whole lot fitter by the time of the event wouldn't I. Which of course never happened.

I didn't study the route much in advance because every time I opened the files they scared me to death so I stopped looking. I remember it being unusually quiet in the bunch at the village hall gate at 6.00 a.m. so I guess I wasn't the only one feeling a degree of apprehension!

My recollections of the ride are more blurred and confused than usual, mainly due to the Welsh language - I always seemed to be in "Llan....." something. I recall that every time I dragged my gaze up off the tarmac all I could see was looming mountains.

I'd not really expected to get through the first day within the time limit and had already steeled myself to accepting I'd have to pack but that it would be good to be able to say that I'd given it a go. But I did manage to get around in time to get an hour’s kip and consequently I felt I couldn't quit until I was genuinely out of time and although I was always more or less on the limit it wasn't until after Aberystwyth that I realised just how hard it was going to be to hold the necessary pace. Somewhere on the road after turning into the valley after Devil's Bridge I meet up with NeilB and another rider (sorry, didn't get a name) and their companionship and pace making helped me to raise my game sufficiently. I got detached from them during a mad episode in the gravel strewn lanes after Elan Village, when we'd got caught and were being chased by two locals driving fire-breathing tractors!

I grovelled into Llanwrtyd Wells and prepared for the final leg knowing I had no time to spare for any sleep. Setting off in the night as Lanterne Rouge or so I thought, I was making steady progress north when I spied bobbing lights astern. These didn't get any closer and then I had a Garmin moment and stupidly followed its recommendation to shortcut the official route after Llanblister, on the approach to Llanbadarn Fynydd. This of course was a huge mistake, as it took me down a narrow, steep lane which to compound things, turned out to be wholly blocked by road works! By the time I'd retraced and made it to the Llanbadarn Fynydd control, I was definitely the last on the road as they packed up and shut the hall around me, although not before supplying very welcome beans on toast. The bobbing lights turned out to be Mattc and NeilB who had made it to the control before me and who then accompanied me on the last 60+km.

When we left the control, I calculated we'd need three hours of 20kph overall average to get in by 9 a.m. and I knew that in my state, over that terrain, that was going to be a push. And so it turned out to be. At some time along the way, I realised I was the only one of the three of us who'd started at 6 a.m. on Friday. So I had to give it all I could and go off the front in a mad dash for the line.

Upton Magna seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth, it took so long coming, but finally those lovely words came up on the local signposts and I rolled into the finish with a bare seven minutes in hand, the closest I've been to finishing out of time on an Audax! You can imagine how it felt getting the lovely medal from John and I dread to think how I'd have felt if I'd finished ten minutes later!

I can only endorse the general views expressed by others and say that this was a fantastic event, over brilliant country, with exemplary organisation and I know I shall count it at the top of my personal palmares list, above even PBP and LEL, for a very long time. Many, many thanks  to John and his great team. However, I did say to John at the finish that if he ever runs it again and by some strange chance he receives an entry from me, he is to bin the entry form and spend the fee on beer!

That was me!  :) That was quite a surreal 10 minutes, the three of us in the fast fading light in the middle of a tractor sandwich in tiny little lanes! In fact, it had the effect of splitting us all up, cos NeilB also went off route after I dashed of the front refusing to pull over for the tractor (I CAN beat it up the hill, I CAN!  ;D). I then didn;t see Neil until the next control.

« Reply #1130 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:51:57 pm »
Not long back home. Essex has never seemed so flat!................... However, I did say to John at the finish that if he ever runs it again and by some strange chance he receives an entry from me, he is to bin the entry form and spend the fee on beer!

That was me!  :) That was quite a surreal 10 minutes, the three of us in the fast fading light in the middle of a tractor sandwich in tiny little lanes! In fact, it had the effect of splitting us all up, cos NeilB also went off route after I dashed of the front refusing to pull over for the tractor (I CAN beat it up the hill, I CAN!  ;D). I then didn;t see Neil until the next control.
Yup, that was one of the highlights! In fact, at the point that I baled out of that comedy, I had to get another ibruprofen fix because my knees were screaming and at the same time my GPS had locked up. I pulled up sharpish at a field entrance and promptly half fell into the hedge, much to the amusement of the following tractor driver!

After restoring the technology and continuing at a more reasonable (for me) pace, I did come across Neil again (Neil V I'm now told, rather than Neil B as I'd misheard) who'd been roaming around looking for you!

Many thanks for the tow and encouragement, especially across the intimidating Elan Valley.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #1131 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:58:54 pm »
Not long back home. Essex has never seemed so flat!................... However, I did say to John at the finish that if he ever runs it again and by some strange chance he receives an entry from me, he is to bin the entry form and spend the fee on beer!

Yup, that was one of the highlights! In fact, at the point that I baled out of that comedy, I had to get another ibruprofen fix because my knees were screaming and at the same time my GPS had locked up. I pulled up sharpish at a field entrance and promptly half fell into the hedge, much to the amusement of the following tractor driver!

After restoring the technology and continuing at a more reasonable (for me) pace, I did come across Neil again (Neil V I'm now told, rather than Neil B as I'd misheard) who'd been roaming around looking for you!

Many thanks for the tow and encouragement, especially across the intimidating Elan Valley.

No problem. It's always good to have company and meet new people. However, don't be suprised if I promptly forget you from Adam next time we meet - it's a failing of mine for which I apologise in advance (note I didn't correct you re NeilB even though I've ridden the entire BCM and most of MC1K with him!  ;D) I just don't remember people. I think it's the trauma of all this long distance cycling lark!

simonp

« Reply #1132 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:31:09 pm »
I got offered a beer from a passing car in the Elan Valley.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1133 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:40:16 pm »
Hi.
Notes from a volunteer at Llanwrtyd Wells

Things that are in my mind after three days there.

1) Nobody hit me when I woke them up

2) John's eternal smile and good humour on less sleep than any of us.

3) Von Broad spending the entire time replacing spokes/truing wheels with no sleep at all.

4) The amazing good humour and spirit of the riders (I am not worthy)

5) Soup

6) The way that the riders would thank all those in the hall as they set off again.

7)  Iddu and Von Broad's incredible snoring during our midday two hour sleep.

8) Soup

I met loads and loads of peeps off the forum.  No idea who any of you were.  :-[

Respect to you all.  You've made a happy man feel very old.

Well done John, you can be proud of what you have created.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1134 on: 27 July, 2010, 11:34:35 pm »
7)  Iddu and Von Broad's incredible snoring during our midday two hour sleep.

Naw - never heard a thing Guv'; wakeup onna pin dropping, me ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #1135 on: 28 July, 2010, 12:44:55 am »
That was fun. Thanks John and thanks to the helpers for all your hard work.

Some highs and low and stuff.

The low - loosing my friend Alex to a damaged knee. Unfortunately we didn't have a knee tool in the saddlebag  to fix his IT band and I was sad to leave him sat in the hall on Sunday morning. Last I heard it wasn't too bad.

The highs - just about everything else but especially the descent from the Ellan Valley on Sunday evening. There must have been about 8 of us in close formation speeding down the road past very empty resevoirs and avoiding stray sheep. I remarked to PloddinPedro that he was misnamed, given his turn of speed, he replied that he had "fallen into bad company".

the surreal bit - chased by the fire breathing tractors covered in spikes. Very scary. They roared and roared and split up our little group.

the crazy bit  - Scottlington, Mattc and I as the Lantern Rouge group, riding back from Newbridge discussing which roads you could get 'purchase' on and laughing like madmen.

the impressive bit - the chap on fixed and his tale of a half-mile long skid down the mountain when his broken mudguard jammed his rear wheel...

a first - 30 minutes kip in a Llanwrda bus shelter on Sunday morning. I think I got less than 3.5 hrs overall and I have to thank Scottlington and Matt for watching out for me on Sunday and through to Monday morning.

« Reply #1136 on: 28 July, 2010, 06:46:56 am »
On the subject of soup, I don't suppose anyone as the recipe for the pea and mint we had on Sunday night?

I met loads and loads of peeps off the forum.  No idea who any of you were.  :-[

Sorry, I've only just realized who you were.  I sort of recognized you but it it was at times when I was moments from sleep or had just woken up, so things weren't registering very well.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #1137 on: 28 July, 2010, 07:40:50 am »
Sorry, I've only just realized who you were.  I sort of recognized you but it it was at times when I was moments from sleep or had just woken up, so things weren't registering very well.
Likewise.  ;D
I realised that questions on forum id were not really needed at that time.  Would have been pretty pointless anyway, given my poor memory.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1138 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:59:20 am »
Dammit, these wonderful ride reports are making me very envious. I'm definitely entering if John is ever kind enough to put it on again.

Think I need to lose at least another stone of bodyweight first, though.  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #1139 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:22:28 am »
Pre-ride drinks, I think all at this table finished - so the beer must've been good.

Does 48 1/2 hours moving time in 73 hours but only 8 hours sleep sound a bit like we had too many bacon rolls and ice creams?  ;D
I've put on 3 kgs during this ride ? ? ? ?

already found my next  "challenge"

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #1140 on: 28 July, 2010, 12:19:02 pm »
Sorry, I've only just realized who you were.  I sort of recognized you but it it was at times when I was moments from sleep or had just woken up, so things weren't registering very well.

And now I know who you are too Basil. Good to bump in to you in the pub in Brum last night. I believe the only conversation we had over the weekend started with you shining a torch in my face on Sunday morning with me saying "what?" you saying "it's 4.15" and finished with me saying "really, shit, thanks"

I'm sure that conversation was repeated numerous times with various people.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #1141 on: 28 July, 2010, 02:30:04 pm »
To tell you the truth Vistaed, it was your bike I recognised before I saw you.
Forumite spotting

BTW, I wasn't using a torch to wake people up, honest.  That would have been too cruel.  Perhaps it was my shining "personality"  8)

I don't know if anyone was using torches on Saturday night, I was on shift in the main hall that night.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1142 on: 28 July, 2010, 04:33:32 pm »
Short write up on the blog now, more to follow

Mille Cymru: Letter to John Hughes « Audaxing

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #1143 on: 28 July, 2010, 05:51:06 pm »

10- Thank you John

And you are Martin or Brian?
Chief cat entertainer.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #1144 on: 28 July, 2010, 08:19:38 pm »
Even the power houses were heard using words like 'gratuitous' after returning to LLanwrtyd Wells on occasions :-)

Gratuitous? Moi? Nah. The hills just have a way of getting in the way of the views is all.

Chris S

« Reply #1145 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:13:27 pm »
S'a funny thing. I'm sworn to Fixed Gear this year, and I couldn't contemplate this ride on fixed gear. Only a few in AUK could, and I suspect they were on the ride, or tested it beforehand.

But I cling to the slender hope that I might manage it one day with a full set of gears. I grovelled my way round the Midlander 300 last year with Scottlington - and he has heroically tamed the dragon this time around, so I'm going to hang on to that and may well try it next time.

simonp

« Reply #1146 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:43:40 pm »
S'a funny thing. I'm sworn to Fixed Gear this year, and I couldn't contemplate this ride on fixed gear. Only a few in AUK could, and I suspect they were on the ride, or tested it beforehand.

But I cling to the slender hope that I might manage it one day with a full set of gears. I grovelled my way round the Midlander 300 last year with Scottlington - and he has heroically tamed the dragon this time around, so I'm going to hang on to that and may well try it next time.

BCM '11?

red marley

« Reply #1147 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:48:42 pm »
I want to hear more about this toad and why was it so good  ;D

My ride was the usual mixture of the good, the bad and the stupid, the good - most of the weekend, especially the Tregaran mountain toad [...]

The Tregaron Mountain Toad

Little is known about the Tregaron Mountain Toad (bufo cambriamontana) as it is a solitary and rather shy species. It is thought to share common ancestry with the Giant Swiss Road Toad (bufo titanhelvetia) and the fearsome North American Undertoad (bufo garpus). The size of a fully grown adult is not known with any certainty due to poor weather conditions and the frequent near exhaustion and unreliability of mind of most who report seeing it. Estimates range from 15cm to several 10s of metres.

What is known is two rather unusual habits that distinguish it from its North American and Swiss cousins. Within its native mountain environment the toad is known to gather small rocks and in an almost ritual like manner, carefully crush them into small gravel like pieces. These, it distributes in small piles along the narrow roadways that cross the area. In particularly active seasons, it is known to be able to cover almost the entire roadway for several kilometres.

But perhaps the most unusual behaviour exhibited by bufo cambriamontana is the creation of its distinctive scarlet marker towers. Over a period of several years a solitary toad will build a structure over 2m tall, usually in an isolated hollow. Coloured red, due to special pigment glands in its hind legs, this structure bears a remarkable resemblance to a GPO telephone box, once common in the 20th century. Indeed, from a distance it is often indistinguishable from a functioning phone box, the only difference being its complete isolation from any human habitation. Scientists have speculated as to the function of these constructions, the most widely accepted hypothesis being some form of territorial or wayfinding marker. However, others have suggested it affords shelter, possibly to its young, during particularly inclement weather conditions.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #1148 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:23:38 pm »

[/quote]

Martin - good to have cycled with you

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #1149 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:38:45 pm »

Martin - good to have cycled with you
[/quote]

Yes, it was good to spend the hard bit in a group and to have time to chat with new faces!  :thumbsup:
Chief cat entertainer.